General Baseball Talk, The World Series, and a Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milo, Oct 16, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Who will win the 2002 Major League Baseball World Series?

1. The San Francisco Giants (this is the correct answer, also I'm a good person)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Anaheim Angels (ps, I'm voting for this team because I'm a child molestor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Milo

Milo New Member

This thread's dedicated to God's own sport, Baseball. Namely, the World Series of. But since I just might be the only baseball fan on these boards (heathens), and since I fully expect Jar to come in here and rant a bit about how cricket is superior in every way to baseball, I'm going to pre-emptively un-derail this thread by opening it to general baseball discussion.

As far as the World Series goes, I'm going with El Gigantes all the way. They're my team, but beyond that, I think they just make a better story. They have arguably the best player to have ever played the game in Barry Bonds, who's wrap up until now was that he's the greatest player to never have won the big one. That and his post-season underperformance have been the monkey on his back throughout his career. Already this year, he's proven that he can perform in the post-season. That's one down. A world series ring would nicely round off a storybook career.

We have a cast of aging players, more than a few of them considered washed out former stars that our general manager picked off the garbage heap for nothing. Players like Benito Santiago and Kenny Lofton. It's just a good story to have these guys playing as well as they are and getting the big game winning hits in the League Championship series.

On the other side of the coin, we have The Anaheim Angels. Bleh. What kind of stupid ass team name is that?! They're owned by mega corporation Disney. They're also located in Southern California.

2. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

I have a mint condition, upper deck Barry Bonds rookie card from when he was with the Pirates, any idea what that's worth now Milo? I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I know it beats krikit, whatever the fuck that is. :wink:

3. Milo

Milo New Member

I couldn't tell you how much that was worth. I refuse to check any card values ever since I lost my whole collection of cards sometime after junior high school. These included pages, as in multiple copies of the same card, of Barry Bonds, Mark MacGwire rookies. Pretty much all the guys who are retiring now or retired recently were rookies when I was collecting, and I took that shit seriously. Roger Clemens rookie cards. An old Hank Aaron card. Just too many to even list.

Then one day, all my cards disappeared. Along with my comics. I think my uncle stole them. He's probably rotting away now somewhere rooting for The Angels.

Oh and yeah, Cricket sucks!

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I couldn't agree more.

As for baseball, if you explain the rules, the strategies, the relative strengths and weaknesses of each player on each team, and the likely strategies to be employed during the series, I'll do my best to vote without giving you a hard time.

5. Settler

Settler Member

Only Americans could call their own sport's national comp the World Series :-? :) .

M/SF: Cricket is the best sport in the world. Ominous Full Stop.

Oh, and I've actually got a reason this time why baseball sux0rz |33+ h00n w00+ h0n|<, more assorted |33+ 5p3@|<.

Baseball:

Batting: Basically 2 different shots in the repoirtoir (?) - in about 5 different directions. Each player gets a few shots. Meh.

Pitching :roll: : It doesn't bounce. 'Nuff said.

Cricket:

Batting: Countless shots (maybe not, but...nyeh), you stay in for as long as your skill allows.

Bowling: It bounces. 'Nuff said.

6. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Cricket: standing around for hours and trotting occassionally

Baseball: standing around, walking occassionally, sometimes breaking into a sprint.

'Nuff (ing) said.

7. Settler

Settler Member

Are we all going to resign to the fact that both sports supposedly suck, or are we going to have an argument?

8. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

That sucks about your baseball cards, Milo. I still have mine, some of them 20 years old. However, I can relate, in that my mother, in the height of foolishness, threw away about 50 DC comic books. I mean, I had the Justice League, and Capt. America, TONS of Batman, a few Superman comics, and several others. I know that that same homeless man that was responsible for tripping you up and puking on your shoes, is now sitting by a 55 gallon barrel with a fire in it, reading my Justice League......

Probably got dirt on it, too.

Anyway, I voted for the Giants, too. For 2 reasons: First, I love Barry Bonds.¹ Secondly, who the hell are the Angels?

You're right about Bonds, too. That man deserves it. Always been a fav of mine.

¹Not in the way you think.²

²I wanna have sex with him.

9. Clothos_Vermillion

Clothos_Vermillion New Member

So... retard, you're having your own personal homerun race!
    *Wink wink* *nudge nudge* *prod prod*

10. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I'm a child molester, so I found voting easy. By the way, what's baseball?

11. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

A very boring sport in which not much happens. Is that a good enough explaination? You should watch something else. Like (Ancient style) Greek Wrestling. Or better yet, you should participate! I asked my latin teacher what the rules were. Apparently there were only two: 1) no eye goudging 2) ... well, he said he couldn't remember. I have my doubts. One would hope, for your sake, that it's "no nut crunching", as SF so eloquently put it.

3:)

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I read somewhere that Barry Bonds has the best batting average in the league with .370. What the fuck does that mean? That he only hits 37 out of every 100 balls he swings at? If so, that's fucking crap man - professional players should be able to hit it a helluva lot more often. You try that shit in cricket, and you'll make no runs, if you don't get out first.

Glad you finally admitted it :). Cricket is a game of patience and skill. Can be boring to watch, but one-day games can be pretty exciting when you get two aggressive teams playing each other. Although, very few teams win one-day games without being aggressive, so I guess really aggressive. Australia and South Africa is always a good match-up. Run chases can be bloody exciting at times. And a big let down at others.

13. carlstar

carlstar New Member

ball of base

Baseball's not all that bad. Go the team thats worth only US$100 million or so. So what's the average pay for these players?

It's a silly argument to go on about what's the best because i know i'm right. You see. Obvious

14. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Milo, you're not the only baseball fan here :)

Unfortunately, as a Red Sox fan, I am repeatedly let down, year after year... *sigh*

I vote for any team that kicks the Yankees' ass! :D

Our Host!