Gaming like there's no tomorrow...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GrimmHatter, Oct 16, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

No, I maintain that I'm correct. I'mn't an English major, but I know the basics. My usage of the apostrophe was correct. Also, incase you don't trust wikipedia, here's an article from Bartleby on the same topic. Does anyone else've objections to my grammar in that remark?

2. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Next question.

Are we talking American English, Australian English, or real English?

And from what I know, DE did teach English, but has now stopped. And from what I have learnt on my English lessons, the Fool is wrong.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Does the Bartleby article mention "it's" as a valid way of forming a possessive? No, that's because the word "it" is one of those lovely exceptions that makes grammar such a brain-imploding subject.

Compare these phrases:

1. The spider? It's stuck in it's own web.

2. The spider? It's stuck in its own web.

Which sentence looks better?

Turns out I continued.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Shit, son.... you just got WRECKED

5. Fromage

Fromage New Member

The reason why "it's" is not possessive is a bit of an exception...the sort of thing English is famous for.

Consider he and his...it's easy to tell the difference between a contraction of he and is and the possessive male pronoun his; so too with she and her. It is more ambiguous--if we didn't have this rule, there would very limited use for the word its (if you were referring to multiple copies of Stephen King's seminal novel, say, or multiple its in a sentence as I'm sure you often do), and it's would have to pull double duty.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of any pronouns that use 's to indicate ownership. Any examples?

7. DarkFool

Well, I looked it up, and it'sn't valid to to use "it's" to represent possession. I retract my arguments. It's, infact, an exemption.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    And thus you're pwned.

Now, imagine trying to get a bunch of 14-year-olds to understand this... :roll:

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ah, yes, the long and unrelenting hell that was English class. I was good at English, seeing as how I'd had neither TV nor Computer till I was 14 (I read metric fucktons of stuff before the TV spawned in our household, I even finished the entire series of Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew, the former being VASTLY superior). The rest of my class... two intelligent people who liked books, three intelligent people who'd rather have been in chemistry blowing shit up, and twenty-five odd fuckwits who were more interested in fucking each other or examining the contents of their nostrils.

JOY.

10. Fromage

Fromage New Member

Nope. It follows that rule well...the exception bit was how it's a 's that doesn't mean possessive.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Actually, that's pretty much the general composition of classrooms everywhere. Honestly, it seems to follow some kind of natural law.

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

It's generally not appropriate to use contractions like "it'sn't" or words like "Exemption" when arguing grammar. Just saying.

Also, stupid people are universally loved by Social Sciences teachers, because smart students ask too many hard questions. Stop thinking for yourselves, bastards.

13. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

You are aware that 'exemption' really is a word, right?

EDIT: By the way Grakelin, I've yet to see you post anything even halfway intelligent, or anything deeper than a paper plate. So maybe you should just shut your fucking mouth.

14. DarkFool

You use it in cases of indefinate pronouns. "Somebody's Child" is one. Also, Grakel, my use of excessive contractions is a trademark of mine. Mainly because nobody else's interested in doing so. I also contract words to the word next to it. Even ifn't appropriate. Hey look! Built in example. :p

source for first portion:
    http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000134.htm

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    I'm just glad you've refrained from replacing your i's with y's in later years. Boy, was that a bitch to read...

16. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

You've got a damn good point there. School sucked. Being the intelligent person in my school sucked even more. Someone needs to explain to those fuckwits that enjoying reading does not make me retarded, it makes me the exact opposite of retarded.

And kids who have never seen the original Star Trek are not allowed to call people Spock. *grumble*

17. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Ah, the joy of reading. I can just thank my teachers for letting me read in school.

Once in fourth grade I was sitting under my chair reading (It was either Tolkien, or Harry Potter.), one of the students told the teacher and she just told her "To let me read".

Might be one of the reason why I never have had many friends in my class, except for the fact that most of them were retards.

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    Meh, remember that life can be wonderfully fair at times. After all, you're not the one working a shitty part-time job, spending all your money on booze while raising the three kids you got with three different fathers who all left you because responsibility is teh hard. Variants of this theme has been disturbingly prevalent amongst those who belonged to the aforementioned "fuckwit" group at my school.

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Our Host!