Gaming like there's no tomorrow...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GrimmHatter, Oct 16, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm picturing this beautiful hybrid between a Golden Compass-style world, and Diablo 2.

*squeals*

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turns out they've merged the Druid and the Barbarian classes and that the Barbarian can now turn into polar bears.

All the transformation spell needs to do is to make that beard expand after all.

3. DarkFool

I like that idea. I loved the weapon specialization, but always thought there should be more... diversity. I think I may've to re-install D2 again, and play it through. Again. ^__^

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    If it's of D2 barbarians you speak, there's quite a lot of diversity available to them as it is. Whirlwinder, Berserker, Frenzier, Thrower, Singer, Hybrid, Dragoon and Ironbarb are the builds I could think of right now, and I'm sure there are more. The synergy bonuses brought by the later patches were a gem really.

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Agreed DE, the synergy stuff opened up a whole new aspect of the game. Along with all the runewords they added and items the modified, patch 1.10 (I think?) basically made it a whole new game.

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    It's one of those additions in life that feels so natural that once experienced, one 1) can't imagine what life was like before it was introduced 2) seriously questions why the hell nobody thought of this before.

On a completely unrelated note, Duke of Earl kicks ass as background music whilst one is compiling a behemoth of an Excel (well, Open Office Calc actually) spreadsheet that's grown to include nearly 400 different calculations. Any moment now, my head will jump off my spine and escape through the window.

7. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Oh and I thought I was the only one that used the "Poor Man's Excel." But DE, you contradicted yourself. I would consider the first and second halves of your post to relate rather well.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    True, before my awesome calculating program the world was truly fumbling in the dark (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since once groped, you have all the legitimate reasons to squeeze unidentified objects).

It so happened that we didn't need about 90% of the calculations in my awesome matrix.

The spreadsheet was done in preparation for a group work we had today at uni, compiling essays and writing a report based on the results and such. It took all fucking day and we wouldn't have finished today if it weren't for my altruistic heart that botched aikido class in favor of some major quality time in front of Open Office.

9. DarkFool

I think I'm going to spend saturday playing D2 all over again. ^__^

10. GrimmHatter

That's way more than what I use mine for. Ever since I graduated, my home spreadsheet use has been reduced to modest bookkeeping on my beer I brew; water source, starting volume, specific gravity, amount of (extra) sugar/molassas, starting fermentation date, daily temperature checks, ending fermentation date, ending specific gravity, ending ABV, etc. This way, if a particular batch comes out kickass, I'll know exactly what I did and be able to duplicate it. I'm starting a porter brew next week that I'm (optimistically) hoping will be done by Thanksgiving that should taste pretty good.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    My mead still tastes utter shite and I no longer have any hope of great taste miracolously appearing after long enough storage. All I know is that if you drink the first bottle quickly enough to pass relatively undetected by the taste buds, the ones that follow won't taste so bad. I've calculated the alcohol content to be at around 14%, but it's either stronger than that or all the impurities I'm sure it's contaminated with gives it some extra punch, because for all its vehement taste it kicks like a horse.

If I ever come across some cheap hops and barley, I'll try making beer.

12. DarkFool

It's only been sitting for a few months, hasn't it? It's supposed to have a YEAR. MINIMUM. Did you miss that note, or what?

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    I'm too impatient. It's alcohol. I need it now!

14. DarkFool

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    No, but my inner grammar nazi will bitch about the word above instead!

16. GrimmHatter

Beer would be more up your alley then. It doesn't take near as long to brew and you can buff the ABV just by adding more sugar or molasses. Let it ferment another couple weeks and let it sit about an extra week longer after it's been bottled. No waiting a fucking year to get sloshed on your own shit that just ends up tasting like ass.

17. DarkFool

That works perfectly. The mead, there referenced as "it" owns the way it tastes, therefore my usage is correct. Bitch about something else. :p

18. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

That's a negative. 'Apostrophe-S' at the end of a pronoun always implies "is," not ownership.

19. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That's pretty wrong, but I'm not as shocked as I could be. Why'd you think you could get one over on an english teacher in the realm of grammar?

20. GrimmHatter

Our Host!