Game became unplayable since I resurrected Virgil.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by The Duellist, Oct 24, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Duellist

The Duellist New Member

Salutations, chaps. I need your assistance - I'm currently replaying Arcanum, and all was going well right until the Virgil quest (right after I resurrected him, to be precise). And yes, I have the newest UAP installed - never had any bugs up to that point. So, to recapitulate :

1. Virgil went off to Caladon.
    2. He died.
    3. I resurrected him using the scroll found in the nearby barrel.
    4. I get his dialogue, follow the light, yada-yada.
    5. I invited him back, but the party was full.
    6. I completed the diplomacy mastery quest, which allowed me to increasy my charisma up to 20.
    7. I invited Virgil right back.

This is when the game started to act oddly. Symptoms :

1. I went to the crypt below the Panarii temple and got into Nasrudin's burial chamber.
    2. When I tried to exit the area, the game crashed.
    3. I reloaded once again, to see blue backgrounds instead of some companion portraits.
    4. I tried reloading an earlier save - and it worked for a while.
    5. So I go the Wheel Clan and when I enter Loghaire's chamber, some portraits get bugged out again (becoming blue).
    6. Game crashes when entering a new area (that's consistent - whenever the portraits are blue, the game crashes upon entering a new area).
    7. And here's what I suspect is the cause - Virgil keeps disappearing in dungeons (as in completely vanishing - the portrait is still there, but Virgil cannot be found anywhere).

So I tried to reform the party - ordered everyone to wait and invited everyone back (I have a large party of 6 followers). But it didn't solve it. Any ideas, old boys? I'd loathe to start again because of this - I'm level 36 by now.

2. The Duellist

The Duellist New Member

Just to reiterate - I suspect that it was somehow caused by the resurrection.

3. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Save corruption.

Who the fuck knows what caused it, seems to happen randomly for pretty much everyone.

You do have earlier saves, right? RIGHT? Because that's how you play these old ass shitty programmed RPGs, you make a new save every couple of hours, so that the game doesn't suddenly cockblock you.

4. The Duellist

The Duellist New Member

Luckily I had an earlier save (much earlier, but better than nothing).

Turns out the problem was caused by not inviting Virgil back right after he was recurrected (my team was full at the time) - he said he'll wait by the Panarii temple. Problems started ever since I invited him back. So that's something you'd want to avoid ;)

5. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

No, that doesn't cause any problems. What you have is just save corruption. Many people before you have had the 'blue portrait' thing, followers tuning into walls/chickens/railroad spikes, etc.

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Sounds like Virgil was the problem. Good thing you found out!

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

That is unlikely, that particular script was tested extensively during the development of the UAP.

Our Host!