Funest character to play as?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by The Chosen One, Feb 11, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

So what do you think is the most fun character to play as?

In my experience (and I've played alot of different characters) I got the most fun out of a techie gunslinger theif. It's fun to make stuff and it's fun to steal! :D

2. Some Strange Man

Some Strange Man New Member

savant supergenius. int 20, stupid speech :D

its fun for the comic value.

3. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

Escaped Lunatic who focuses on Melee, Dodge, Backstab, Prowl, Chemistry and Therapeutics. Very high Dex. Only noteworthy equipment was a Top Hat, Smoking Jacket, a pair of Gloves, a Mechanical Dagger, some Glasses (later on exchanged by Eye Gear) and a Hushed Revolver for night hunts (to destroy light sources). Rarely rely on allies, rarely upgrade armor.

4. DM's Bane

DM's Bane New Member

Dwarf Magickers

Dwarf Magickers are always my first choice. I'm currently using a Dwarf Mage/fighter focusing on force (for Disintergration) and conveyance (for gettin' the hell out of there when things get hairy) Wearing a small smoking jacket and wielding a filament sword, Oh yeah...Real swish 8) .
    Pearsonally ive never had a problem with the whole "Double fatigue cost" problem that dwarf casters have as his constitution could most likely take a barrel of radioactive waste without so much as lowering his sperm count.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Playing a gnome of any specialization is fun. Beggars fall in love with you when you insult them, good followers love you all the more when you kill innocent people, even beasts who attack you are merely "suspicious" of you!
    I am also planning to try an evil orc with smithy+ mechanics+repair (and fighting skills, naturally). Just me, authomatons and medical arachnid or two. Must be fun.

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I hate gnome's so much...

At least the ones in Arcanum that is.

After completing the whole siamese twin's x-files quest thing, I mean, everytime I see a gnome with a half ogre I have this awful feeling my character is walking through Nazi Germany, or Stalin's Russia.

7. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

Because of that whole gnome fiasco, I ended up killing every gnome out of rage and all half-ogres out of pity.

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

LMAO

What was your good/bad alignment before and after this little slaughterfest? I tried killing the guy who replaces tyron after coming back from half ogre island and Magnus promptly left my party and killed me with the pyrotechnic axe I made for him... little bastard, and my alignment was +41.

9. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

Surprisingly enough my alignment wasn't in the evil at all, but I was damn close. What really turned my charactor evil was killing all the barbarians in a destroyed town called Kree. They attacked first and Im the one who's evil. In which case Magnus left my group, but I killed him before he left because he kept repeating the same damn line.

10. darkllama

darkllama New Member

it is pretty neat to have a half ogre warrior/mage with summon and meta, and then you put on some large platemail and a broadsword and used the reflection shield summon cheat to get an army of ogre destroyers and you will be their leader and you go around killing towns, and your whole pary looks exactly the same.

11. Solaris

Solaris New Member

It was such an ogrish thing to say :)

12. darkllama

darkllama New Member

13. Canis

Canis New Member

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    No, racist would probably be correct, since ogres and humans can interbreed. If they would be different species they wouldn't be able to receive any offspring. :)

Shit, the biology talk made me think about Ferret. Can't that stupid old fuck abandon Aozos and continue wasting his time here instead? I miss his furry little comments damnit!

15. Canis

Canis New Member

Which begs the question, what exactly constitutes a species? Is it merely the ability to interbreed (horses and donkeys can), or the ability to interbreed and produce fertile offspring (lions and tigers can; are half-ogres able to reproduce?), or is it the ability to interbreed and consist of a single, definable niche of nature?

Or should I ponder such imponderables when I haven't been drinking, lest this discussion devolve into a tangentially amusing college level shitfest? Or is it too late even for that?

16. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

The definition of species is a bit foggy, but in general it is "The ability for two organisms to reproduce and produce viable, fertile offspring." This disqualifies horses and donkeys, and I believe lions and tigers, because I think you are mistaken and ligers cannot reproduce. I'm not sure about Arcanum, but in Tolkien's world, half-elves (like Elrond) can definitely reproduce, and the whole elf-human crossbreed is rather an odd thing, since the progeny can choose extended mortal life or immortal life. I wonder how the choice is made? Do they tell someone, or just decide in their heart? In my fantasy world of Erdan, Orcs, Humans and Elves can all interbreed, but the offspring are not always viable and seldom fertile. There is more of a chance for Elf-Humans and Elf-Orcs to survive and reproduce than Human-Orcs, because Elves are by nature more fertile and magical. Dwarves (not anything like Tolkien's) cannot interbreed with the larger species. I still haven't decided how it will go with beast-men, but a wolf-lion-man would be pretty strange.

17. Canis

Canis New Member

No mistake. We have one such specimen here in California, at Tippi Hedren's Shambala. They had an unfortunate incident in which a lion and tiger mated, producing a female kitten. They assumed like most people do that the cat would be infertile so they didn't bother spaying her, and wouldn't you know it she mated with a tiger and produced the handsomest male kitten you ever saw.

I understand that they've all been since neutered. ;)

Ah, here's some of the story at Shambala's website: Link

There's also a documentary about Shambala that airs on Animal Planet or Discovery or something once in a while, which shows the whole thing. Catch it if you can, it's fascinating. So many kitties, everywhere! :)

I've heard and read of other such incidents, but this is the only specific case I'm able to point you to.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It seems that in the Arcanum world, all *races* originate from the human strain, with the minute folk having evolved far too much to be able to interbreed and produce offspring with humans. I guess this would make ogres, orcs, elves and humans different races of the same species, while the tiny fellows are a species of their own.

Of course, the principles of biology don't lend themselves as easily applied to a world were people hurl fireballs at each other. Besides, I suck at biology, unless you've already noticed.

You know, discussing a fantasy world at this level makes me feel incredibly dorky. My nipples have gone stiff!

Oh, and Sigurd, when/if a publisher agrees on distributing copies of your novels, you'll be a nice, decent fellow and send all of us free books, aye? :D

19. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Actually, by simple logic and given the Elves' outrageously long life span, they should be the least fertile of all species. Otherwise the world would soon be full of elves.

20. Hydro Optics

Hydro Optics New Member

YEA WAT IS THE MOST FUN CAR TO PLAY WITH ITS FUN TO MAKE A MAGE I MADE A MAGE AND I COULD KILL GUARDS AT A LEVEL 2 LOL

Our Host!