Fuck katanas.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Jul 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

That's a typo. The quotes before that, including my initial mention, says "pullups". I thought mentioning "getting up after falling on your back" would give it away.

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

Your trolling is retarded. Leave now and forever hold your peace.

3. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

You mean me?!

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I saw a clip once of a guy firing a true British Long bow at a suit of armor (set up as a demo piece) from about 10 feet. The Arrow punched through the armor, the wooden post in the middle, and exploded out the back in pieces. I remember it was in the middle of a tv show where some Scotsmen were building catapults, but it was a LONG time ago.

Edit: I personally think someone skilled with a Chinese Broadsword could easily take down someone skilled with a Katana.

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

So an unarmoured fencer with a rapier is faster than a speeding bullet and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?

6. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
  7. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

That would be a Jedi Knight =p. And we are talking about melee superiority here. The main rule "always" applies: "Never bring a knife to a gun fight". Nobody's debating that either.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

That sounds suspiciously like Two Men In A Trench to me. They're archaeologists, who go around actually kitting up like the guys they're digging up and seeing how much it sucked. It's well cool.

Chinese Sword > katana. A katana is fine against Japanese armour - put a samurai up in front of a knight, though, and he'd get smooshed while trying to bash his way through the plate mail. (And we'd all fucking love the spectacle, don't pretend that you wouldn't pay to see that.)

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    To be honest, there was elite Samurai armour made of metal. It's just that Japan is virtually bereft of any natural resources, iron is a scarce commodity and consequently they had to make do with bamboo armour most of the time, which, well, how to phrase it... isn't that useful against steel weapons.

10. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Or anything, really.

11. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

12. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

That's why they lost the Battle of Naginawa against Hu-Chin and his panda cavalry.

13. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Why would anyone ever need the armstrength to pullup yourself and 20kg?

I mean, I can hardly do two pullups without any weight.

14. Nolanoth

Nolanoth New Member

Elite Samurai Armor... What the hell are you people talking about? And Chnese Swords?

Oh let me just point you in the right direction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_armour

Also view the other link and watch a katana comming out as the best melee weapon. It cuts threw steel! Think you can't concenrate on a single point and thrust with a katana? Hah think again. You can both stab and cut with that japanese blade.

On the vid they strike the katana with a claymore! Effect? Almost nothing. The katana bent like it should just for a few monets.

A katana is ligter, shaper, more fexible and at the same time durable.

The old katana swords where made of 2 or more layers of metal making them even more deadly.

Why did that knight in shinig armor carry a sowrd? Because swords cut thew flesh and they cut threw armor. Sure it's much harder to cut threw armor but it's nowhere near impossible. You can slice threw a chainmail, you can slice threw kikou and you can sure as hell slice threw a full plate mail! It's not a game! You can't compare it to Power Armor or some Magical Item. It's a peace of metal. And swords and crossbows as well as some bows evolve and are made to chew threw that protection. No matter if it's a katana, a claymore or a barbarian blade. It will go threw it!

15. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I no longer need to read your posts, you have voided yourself for all time.

16. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I can do 6-7 in a single go, or 4 times each in three sets without weight. Still, that doesn't amount to much =(.

And it seems because of a mistranslation in my mind from Turkish, where you "pull a mekik" (mekik çekmek), what I meant to say were situps. (I feel a little stupid because of this, but every move is something up - pushup, pullup, situp) Doing a situp with 20 kg fat gain directly would still kill your ability to perform a situp, although the effect is less dramatic. You're still getting up a lot slowly though, which used to be my point.

17. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Well, that explains a bit.

18. Charonte

Charonte Member

I find it hard to believe a knight would lay on the battlefield, bend his knees and start a vicious situp routine... More likely, if they fell over at all they'd roll onto their side where the 20kg's means less in terms of getting on your feet. Your point is still sorta valid though...

Oh, and Nolanoth it's through and not threw. Sorry, that just bugged me when reading your post.

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Friggin' katana fanboy.

20. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

Charonte: I liked the thought of people hurling their katana at knights though

Our Host!