Fuck katanas.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Jul 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Allow me to contradict you.

It is widely accepted as fact that the physical world, bound as it is by the laws of Nature, is in its entirety composed of physical information.

Therefore, it seems reasonable to me that you must allow for the possibility that information equals logic, inasmuch both are expressions of reality.

2. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Will one of the mods please move this entire thread inside the "Your Geekiest Endeavor" thread?

Egads!

3. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

This isn't geeky. This is normal thread derailment. Where have you been?

Also, you don't get to ask for things from the mods. Because you suck.

4. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

No one remembers because none have ever known the answer to the question. The question being "What is the question" that is of course.

Besides, if you couldn't bend logic at your own free will, there wouldn't be any war, because everyone choose the logical side, from their point of view.
    Which mean that you can only use logic to persuade someone when the one your are trying to persuade shares a common logical ground as yourself, which render the persuasion useless from the start, since he already know the truth.

5. TheDavisChanger

No, discussing the relevance of the answer being 42 is geeky. Egads.

6. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

What has the assumption that discussion something that is in fact geeky have to do with moving some posts to another thread?

This is a beautiful place where you can derail threads infinite and spend years with perfecting them. Why do you choose to fight the way things work?

Do you spends days jumping in order to defy gravity? Most probably not, since jumping only help gravity prove itself.

Therefore you should learn to abide to some of the most basics rules;

1. Don't ask mods or admins for anything.

2. Don't try to change the forum.

By following these two simple rules, you should be able to go along without provoking anyone to much to cut you off.

Be happy.

7. TheDavisChanger

Actually, I spends days playing along with the communities with which I choose to identify.

Can a thread actually be moved into another thread? I didn't think this was possible. I'd expect such a ludicrous request would be taken as the joke it was intended to be.

That's OK. I don't mind spendsing days explaining my posts to others.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    Threads can be split in order to create new threads out of them, grafting an existing thread onto another however is as far as I am aware unsupported by phpBB2, and you can be damn sure I can't be bothered modding it in.

Personally, I couldn't care less about thread derailment. When you have a chat with your buddies, are you violently compulsive about having the damn conversation stay on topic all night long, brutally murdering those who dare insulting you by changing the subject, or are your innate levels of anal retentiveness low enough for you to allow it to follow its natural course?

This is a forum devoted to a small, long defunct game developer which is only really big or even known in hardcore CRPG circles... and you call HHGTTG references geeky?

I want whatever you're smoking.

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Since when was mathematics a part of the physical world? The entire thing is conceptual.

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

All the laws of nature can be expressed by mathematical formulas.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Mathematics is an expression of logic and by extension reality; whenever mathematicians discover a concept, you can be sure that the physicists will find a practical application for it.

Physics are, after all, applied mathematics. The lingua franca of science and all that.

Mathematics aside, if everything in the universe could be described as objects of physical information, and if everything in said universe is governed by the laws of Nature (and therefore logic), then logically information, at least if we're talking quantum, must be logical as well.

12. Xz

Logical is an adjective, logic is a noun.

Yes information may be logical. Though information is not logic.

Information may be illogical too. That doesn't make the information to be faulty logic. It's the logic conveyed by the information that is faulty.

Information != Logic
    Logic != Information

Also I challenge you to touch logic. You can't because it's not a physical object. Neither is information for that matter. The medium which conveys the logic or information may however be a physical object.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yes yes, bring on the semantics to confuse the subject. It all boils down to how you define information really. If information = that which describes the relationships and properties of distinct particles then information must by necessity adhere to logic. However, if information = the ramblings of the town drunk, then logic is not to be expected.

14. Xz

Adhering to and being are quite different.

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yes, but the difference is conceptual at best when describing how particles behave, as they have no choice but to function logically. In the event that they appear not to, don't blame the particle but your own misguided sense of logic.

16. Xz

It is indeed a conceptual difference, that's what we are talking about. Is the concept "logic" the same as the concept "information". And the answer is no.

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    This is exactly why I'll need you as my lawyer when I enter the world domination scene; you are meticulous with the fine print and the seemingly petty details.

18. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

You're assuming that the universe functions logically. While everything we see does, as far as we can see, obey logical principles (especially the principle of cause and effect), that does not make it so; someone could simply be causing our brains to malfunction.

And why are there pink elephants on the walls? Damn interior decorators.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

If the total ammount of observation shows that the universe functions logically, the wisest option is to assume that it does work that way. We can either infer from what we can observe or just sit there and repeat how we know nothing and are blinded by the Matrix. The second option doesn't provide much progress.

I find your choice of wallpaper disturbing.

EDIT:
    Woohoo, 666th post. Quick, someone kill me before I post again.

20. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Our Host!