Free smack!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Mandible, May 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

So, here in Denmark, the government are starting a free heroin program for serious junkies. The addicts go to the clinic twice a day to get their fix of, apparantly, some of the best heroin in the world. This is both to avoid used needles in playground and the crime the addicts do to afford their drug.

What're your thoughts on this? It's very expensive, but I think it's worth it to avoid all the crime these people do, people who often feel really bad about doing crime but they're basically slaves to this drug.

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Aw, I was disappointed when you promised free smack and didn't deliver. Shame on you. :-x

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

It's been discussed in Norway too, personally I'm a fan, but it seems every time it comes up the idea is ridiculed.

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I think it's certainly a decent idea, but one with a fair few flaws. Are they planning on helping these people break their addiction or just feeding it to prevent crime?

5. General Mandible

Sorry, Yuki. I would send you some but I'm afraid the post office has dogs.

I'm under the impression these people are mostly beyond salvation and they just feed their addiction. I assume there'll be ways of getting in touch with help at those clinics if people want to. A guy they interviewed was 50 and had been a junkie since 13, so I think it's mostly people like that who are too far in.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. A junkie receives twice a day his portion of heroine for free (with love from the government) so he would kindly not perform crimes? Taxes go for drugs for junkies? Even if it will reduce crime, the whole system seems extreme fucked up. What's next? Funding pristitutes to rapists so their instincts would be at least partly satisfied?

For once I'm happy to live where I live. Used needles in playground, shit.

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I'd use it as a cover for euthanasia myself.

If someone is truly that much of a slave to drugs and really can't be freed of their addiciton death is a kindness.

8. Xz

From a health perspective the idea is decent as well: it's better to give them pure heroin, than it is giving them heroin cut with rat poison. Assuming we don't want them to just die that is.

9. General Mandible

I doubt there's as many rapists as there are addicts, at least here. And far from most rapists are, as far as I know, addicted to it. And seeing as a lot of the rapes that happen are to prostitutes, I don't think it would help much.

I don't see a comparison between the two at all. Sure there are some who are addicted to rape, but most of them are not slaves to it the way an addict is. These are people you stop doing what they do otherwise. Outside they commit crime to afford it, inside they'd either do more crime, or at least aide criminals, to afford it (smuggling contraband in and out, etc.).

What do you think costs more? Constant crime (insurance money for break-ins, people hurt, hospitals for those people), money for hospitals when the addicts get a bad dose or are sick, holding them in prison, them helping real criminals in prison, cleaning after them in hallways and playgrounds? Or a few doses a day? Doses that are just a little different than making morphine for hospitals. It's not like it's street price heroin here.

10. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Now that...is what I like to call a solution to a problem. People seem to have issues where death is concerned, something about rights humans are apparently supposed to be given. But I've been against humanity and for capital punishment for quite some time.

11. General Mandible

I don't mind death being used as a solution...by individuals. I fully understand that or at least don't care unless someone I know or myself are affected. But never should the or a government be allowed to do it.

Contrary to how I may sound, I wouldn't give a fuck if someone started capping junkies.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Ship them off to an island for 'rehab', it is funny how no one ever comes back from this island. Hmmmm

13. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

14. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Enjoy your taxes going higher just so you can give a junkie his fix. Not to mention most junkies need it MORE than twice a day, they'll still be committing violent crimes to get the cash for smack.

15. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Maybe they should start a humanitarian program to import heroine junkies from other countries as well.
    It could be a world wide solution.
    Then we could ship the potheads to Amsterdam.
    Coke addicts to Argentina.
    'Ham that's called bacon' addicts to Canada.
    etc
    etc

16. Xz

At a cost of DKK 70 million, it's likely to be a profitable project, if it has any effect at all on crime.

Also as was mentioned, it's not street prices here. Heroin is fuck cheap to produce. The only reason it's expensive is because it's illegal.

17. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

As long as the implementation is revesible -- perhaps passed with a built-in x-year nullification -- i don't see why it shouldn't be tried. Bring it into the light so it can be properly seen.

I would add (i hope unnecessarily) that this institution should be utterly transparent.

18. General Mandible

Yes, 70 million of our money is not much compared to the billions they use on highways no one uses anyway. And I bet most of those money go to personnal and clinics rather than the heroin itself.

19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I have no respect for drug addicts. Let the worthless rabble die.

20. General Mandible

So I guess you also wouldn't mind if they put cyanide in alcohol, added extra nicotine to cigarettes and put anthrax in McDonald's food?

Our Host!