Free Clan Hosting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvio-Arjunza, Oct 16, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

I'm going to assemble a clan to use as a basis for game modding, mainly Arc for the momento. But I'm wondering, anybody know of any good free-hosting for clans? I don't wanna pay, and I need a place to use. Oh, and I'm thinking of naming it the Builder's Clan. anyone oppose/agree with the name? any suggestions?

2. stormwell55

stormwell55 New Member

Geocities is nice and easy to use, and Bravenet.com can give you freebies such as chat and message boards.

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Right. You definetly wanna use geocities if you would like to see your site dissapear from the server for no apparent reason.

4. Silvio-Arjunza

Xzbyte says that he has a small page (50mb) that we could use... so we may just use that... though we'd have to figure out how to set up a small forum... anyone know how?

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Forums are not a complex thing. All you need for a forum is a host that handles PHP and mySQL, like spaceports or tripod.co.uk
    However, spaceports has a horrible ad bar, and tripod does not have a decent upload method.
    So, it really depends on the 1337ness of xzbytes hosting.

6. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

There are several things in this thread that are funny.

1) "Clan" used when talking about a modding group.
    2) "Momento" signifying temporary duration of the group's goal.
    3) Lack of focus on any actual modding.

4) Inability to use Google.

5) Already asking for web-site help.

The No-Hopers. You're motto can be "Proving DU wrong".

Do you want to mod Arcanum or do you want to run a clan?

7. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Running a clan is 1337.

That reminds me, I wonder if Black Out mods or whatever they were called still exist and have they done anything. Modding IMO is like writing computer programs, not only does it take skill, but real dedication. You must like what you're doing if you hope to finish anything. Otherwise it will be just like the other million of other half finished or not even started projects. I tried to mod Fallout. Actually did some work on many things. However the group I was part of lacked a real sense of teamwork among other things. A good motto is not to bite more than you can chew. That's what happened there. Their visions were too big and people dropped off from the project. I think it's great that people want to create something that will make a significant impact, but you need to realise what is within your reach.

8. DarkUnderlord

They exist, I'm not sure on their activity level though. The forums are pretty dead.

Has that project been canned or are there a few still working?

... and the sheer amount of time and work involved. Modding starts off as something fun to do but soon becomes more like work. Not so much fun anymore. Especially when you're doing it in your spare time, you don't really want to be doing work.

After leading my own mod project for just over one and a half years now, it's surprising what you want to do, what you can do, and what actually ends up being done (which is very little in most cases). Keeping it going requires a constant effort and it's usually the work of a few key people that stop the project from keeling over at any one time.

9. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Wow, that forum is pretty depressing. A grand community of three people...

I'm not sure, I guess they are. But the thing is they want to create a world bigger than FO 2. That's not possible with one code guy...
    All they have done is the story line, (basic) graphics for the car and the 300 item descriptions and modifications I made.
    It hasn't been canned but there isn't anyone who is doing *actual* work.

10. Silvio-Arjunza

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Matt, why on earth did you make your reply like that? What's new in a quoted post should be written in regular form, not tucked into the quote like that.

Anyway...

Doesn't that depend on how much work you delegate to others? Like in the case of Luck - he has been asking others to make up the NPC characters in his mod, and write the dialog for them. I'll be making an alcoholic gnomish pub-musician (kind of a copy on Shane MacGowan) :lol:

Hope he actually finishes that mod... I really want to show up in those credits!

12. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

13. Icairus

Icairus New Member

xz, I am not nearly blind. I can handle things like "content," "normal font sizes," and "normal text colors"
    I would be happy to redo your website for you just to make get rid of that travesty.

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

That's hardly a webpage. I've seen single celled bacteria more sophisticated than that.

15. xento

xento New Member

I sure as heck hope so!

Nay. They are pretty much in the gutter. Since they kicked me from the team, no progress has been made as far as website work goes. Both Draconix and Kale say they never want to see me again, but I still talk to VerZreV on occasion. He says that they've pretty much abandoned BM and are now Diablo 2 gamers.

16. DarkUnderlord

17. xento

xento New Member

They were able to create the worst website design ever. You've gotta see some skill in that.

18. Icairus

Icairus New Member

People, remove the unnecessary parts to quotes. If you have multiple parts to a quote you want, use ellipsis.

Now, to inform Xento that, as usual, he is wrong.
    The worst website in the world is:
    Jeff Jet
    Why? Because Davezilla said so:
    http://www.davezilla.com/index.php?m=200309#1871

19. xento

xento New Member

[​IMG]

:razz:

Anyway, I must say that website does have an ugly design. It does a good job of inspiring boredom.

20. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Our Host!