FPS?

Discussion in 'Vampire Discussion' started by Manaluusua, Oct 2, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Manaluusua

Manaluusua New Member

Well, they made a first person view then. I was just wondering... Can you play this on 3rd person? I really hate 1st person rpgs but I think I have readed that you can switch to 3rd person? may not sound so important but It is important to me. :-?

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

readed? whats that? dont you mean read? use spell check often?

anyway, whats wrong with first person rpgs? i always thought the first person perspective added an extra dynamic to your connection with the character, it also makes the landscape look more impressive. my favorite example of this was when i frst played morrowind and i had never been to the (something i cant remember) "gate" (basically its that large energy/towers thing encircling the center of the continent. the first time i approached that area was in the middle of a dust storm (which i had also never encountered before this point in the game) and seeing those huge towers and the energy fence looming out of the dusty fog amidst the howling wind and seeing a few of those terradactyle-like bird monsters lying above it was the single most impressive thing i have ever witnessed in a role playing game. may be you should check that game out, it might change your opinion.

3. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

I can empathize with you. I'm not a big fan of 1st person, and I probably won't be until they are absolutely perfect. Even in Morrowind and Arx Fatalis, both good games in many ways, I found the 1st person combat clunky and unattractive. The scenery can look great (especially in Morrowind), but other parts of the game tend to get a little inconvenient. If you ever have to know where your feet are so you don't walk off a cliff or something, you have to be really careful. Also, scenery can look just as good with 3rd person and adjustable camera angles.

Also, it is really nice to be able to see your character do things. I actually feel more identified with him when I can see him. I mean, I identify with myself in part because I can see whatever part of me I want, except my face, whenever I want. I have absolute control over me. Until I get the same in an RPG, give me 3rd person.

In any case, why not make it switchable and please all of us? Obviously, people lie on both sides of the fence on this one.

Well, really, I like 2d more than any kind of 3d, so it won't REALLY please me, but I guess I'll just have to learn to deal.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

but it can never look quite as IMMENSE, HUGE, or AWE inspiring as it would from the life like point of view known as first person perspective the whole knowing where your feet are thing isnt that hard, and quick saves etc help a lot when you're worried about combat. when i started the game (morrowind) the first truly valuable and useful magic item i found was a mage's staff that allowed you to cast level 1 levitation 1000 times a day for a duration of 1 minute and 30 seconds per daily charge, so i never really had problems with movement... unfortunately that save game got deleted but i found a few other items similar to that one, which made up for it. you just have to know what makes the game easier and what items to look for. treasure is random, so you can quicsave when you know there is going to be something powerful in an area/treasue chest and reload to sort of customize your random treasure item...

ok thats enough rambling about an unrelated game...

but yeah just so the point of this post isnt lost, the first person perspective provides a realistic sense of IMMENSITY to objects and buildings in Morrowind that cannot be replicated by a 3rd person perspective.

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Sleek, I've told you before and I'll tell you again, enough with the insults to people you don't know. Secondly, Vampire will be playable from either perspective, like Morrowind was, although I personally think that playing in third person won't be as terrible as it was in Morrowind (nor as pointless).

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

7. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Morrowind is the best FPS RPGs ever made. This may be bold and I'm not counting Deus Ex as an RPG, 'cause it isn't! Anyway Morrowind is a testiment to the fact that FPS RPGs can be good, though the 3rd person view was pointless as there was no crosshair and the scenery does look better from the 1st person. The only good 3rd person ever did anyone was show what you look like. When I got new armour in Morrowind I could spend two minutes rotating around admiring it.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    All true, but still Morrowind was rather lacking in many key aspects. Or do I even have to mention the cloned NPCs? They had different names and different appearances, but their dialog was all the same... add to that a shitty logbook which was impossible to look things up with and a rather unpolished fighting system, and yeah...

I'd still rate Morrowind as a very good game though. I just hope sincerely that Vapmpire will do it better...

9. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Morrowind is a testament to Cliff Racers and a shining beacon to developers to throw in some more god-damned monster diversity in the fucking random encounters which result in HUNDREDS OF FUCKING CLIFF RACERS attacking you when you reach level 50+ which itself is 35 levels AFTER you've attained GOD status AND 40 levels after you can one hit kill most things you encounter. It's also a testament to add in some decent fucking game balance for the higher levelled characters. I mean hell, if you're making a game where you only need to clear-out a quarter of the island to become a fucking GOD, you really need to throw in some more tough shit and NOT bother me with a hundred and one things I just need to slash at once in order to kill them. As for the expansions, HARDER PLEASE.

It is fun though. I'll give it that.

*goes back to playing his Orc*

I think Vampire will be fun. I'm kind of a liker of FPS Action-RPGs.

10. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

FYI you're sorta gravedigging, but whatever, this forum is mostly dead anyway.

But yeah, you can get infected with vampirism in morrowind, and there are a bunch of quests surrounding that path. Just in case you wanted to try that out...

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    What did you expect? After all, this is a vampire forum...

Yeah, but that's not especially fun, is it? Nobody will talk to you (save those wicked Telvanni sorcerors) and your already munchkinized power levels are pushed beyond godhood, making creatures even easier to slay...

And the MW vampires are ugly!

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

If combat in Morrowind was more than just 'Tick the box saying use best attack only' and 'Swing/slash/hack in general direction of enemy' then the game would be better. If there was an actual system, I might still be playing it.

13. DarkUnderlord

Tell me there;s someone in the game with more than 5,000 gold on them. I've got an Ebony Spear worth 14,000 that I want to flog off and I can't find anyone that has that amount of Gold to pay for it. I'm only a level 22 God-like Axe-wielder who's roamed around the bottom left quarter of the map though, so I'm hoping there's someone out there with more gold?

14. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Not that I think we should make this a full-fledged Morrowind discussion thread, but if remember correctly, the best thing to do is just buy a lot of small things from one merchant, sell him your expensive item, since he'll have more money, then pawn off your small stuff piecemeal to various merchants over time.

15. DarkUnderlord

So what you're saying is that to sell my 14,000 spear (or 45,000 Daedric Staff and so on etc..) I have to sell it to him, then BUY 9,000 to 40,000 of junk off of him, then run around and sell that junk in small amounts to various retailers (or sleep 24 hours and sell, sleep 24 hours and sell) so that in the end, I may loose a bit more money but I end up selling my spear?

Fuck that. Think I'll learn the tools and make a city with a few traders who have a couple of hundred thousand on them each. :)

16. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

No need to make a whole town just pick a trader and give them more dough.

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

there is a mudcrab on a south coastal beach with something like 40,000 gold and you can trade with it.

There is also a mod that adds a secret base to a house in balmora, and there is a guy with something like 60,000 gold there.

18. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about the mudcrab. That was pretty funny, though he'd have been dead it if weren't for the walkthrough.

19. Wolf

Wolf New Member

There's a scamp called Creeper in Gorak Manor in Caldera. as for the person who said Morrowind was easy, try playing a monk character on 100 difficulty. It'll be easy when you're god character gets owned by a DRemora Lord.

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, that would be one of a few weak character concepts then. And it won't be weak for so long anyway. Point is, you'll switch to another weapon when your Hand to Hand skill reaches 100, which happens real fast (going by foot between Seyda Neen and Balmora, I had maxed it...)

As a monk character, you'd probably opt for raising your blunt weapon skill next. And nothing is as fun like bringing one of those daedric knights or whatever they are called down at their knees with a big, heavy whack of your warhammer (which you'll be swinging at bitching swiftness since the Unarmed skill raises your speed attribute) :evil:

Our Host!