forgotten spells???

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by moonlight, Jan 22, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

2. moonlight

moonlight Member

I see , could this spells be in a completely lost college , what do you guys think about the college that holds the banishment spell ?

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be a lost college. Magick colleges may be universal and valid for different/all dimensions.

As for banishment, the first college that comes to mind is Conveyance. Another possibility - Summoning, seeing how banishment could very well be considered reverse summoning.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I guess there could be a lost college of magick created by the Council, after all Kerghan came up with his own. If the Mages' Council did discover such a thing they could have always kept the knowledge close to their chest, after all they are Elven supremacists maybe they didn't think the lesser races were worthy of such information. Then after the horrors it caused they decided that the secret would die with them. Just an idea.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

An additional college would brake the rule of four, though.

As for Kerghan, I always considered him more of a discoverer than an inventor. I wouldn't say he came up with his own college as much as he happened to be the one in Arcanum who uncovered the last of the 16 existing colleges. If anyone can be credited with creating this or any college, I'd say it's Velorien.

6. moonlight

moonlight Member

true, but there is an unkown symbol on pelojian's moral .

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

With that unknown symbol on the mural, it's possible it may represent a lost college. Given the lack of magickal knowledge referring to how Arronax destroyed Tulla, it could be possible he tapped into that college without knowing it to cast the spell, and that college was unknown even to the Elven Council during the Age of Legends. Or, it could be much simpler;

The symbol refers to knowledge of all colleges, and therefore magick itself. In that case, it could be a symbol representative of Velorien. Considering you're going to be the first person to survive the ruins of Vendigroth since it was destroyed, it's easy to see how nobody would ever have a proper reference to associate anything with a god nobody in your time knows about (Except perhaps for Aldous T. Buxington).

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Perhaps I treat the matter superficially, but I assume the five symbols on Pelojian's mural that so no not represent any colleges do not carry any meaning by themselves. Instead, they were introduced simply to be part of the puzzle prepared for the Living One.

Treating them as something more could be the same mistake Tullan mages did when they overinterpreted Pelojian's poems.

9. moonlight

moonlight Member

you might be true on this, but dont forget that there is also another book in tulla, wich mentions the four powers.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Which particular book are you referring to and how does it tie into the subject at hand?

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I also interpret the symbol as referring to all colleges together, or to the cycle of the four which the living one must follow.

By the logic of the initial argument, five super-colleges would suggest that there ought to be eight [= 32 colleges of 8 spells each].

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

Ah nevermind I just checked and it was the same book , but why do yu think the spells are grouped within these symbols? I mean every symbol in the mural represent four spells. Im thinking it points to something deeper . Pelijian was a mage in who lived in the past perhaps these symbols meant something to mages in his time , Nasrudin implied that some spells cant be casted exept by the most powerful mages, the unkown symbol on the moral could represent these. :)

13. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Hey, true. That would be a nice addition.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Stating that some spells can only be cast by the most powerful mages is nothing revolutionary. 1 lvl spells can be cast without any experience at all and with below average willpower. 5 lvl spells require significant experience and practice, extremely trained willpower and a lot of physical stamina. It's no surprise that the even higher requirements for 6, 7 and 8 lvl spells could be met only by the most powerful wizards, who dedicated their whole lives to shape their minds and bodies in a way that would allow to deal with such power.

15. moonlight

moonlight Member

How about kerghan ? his dragon transformation is a strange case , I doubt that this spell exists in one of the known colleges.

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

A high level Morph spell allowing the caster to transform his body to any desired shape.

17. moonlight

moonlight Member

What about kraka tur then , do you thing that the spell he used for his transformation is the same? I doubt that there is a spell dedicated only to dragon transformation, while there exists a spell which allows one to transform to any shape desired.

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is a hybrid-creating kind of spell. Kraka-Tur became a half-dragon because he used Bellerogrim's blood while Kerghan used a tissue of a different creature (or creatures).

Think genetic engineering, transgenesis and cross-breeding but with magick and within the parental generation. Hell, maybe this even explains where did orcs and later the Black Legion come from.

19. moonlight

moonlight Member

hmm I dont know, Arronax said that his dark magics have transformed him in body and spirit . do you think that this is a spell?

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

For the moment I'll go along with my idea that Kerghan transformed his body with the hybrid spell, using tissues of whatever suitable creatures he could find in the Void and summon from other dimensions, all in order to increase its resistance to various kinds of damage and ability to contain, maintain and develop magickal power.

As for the transformation in spirit, I explain that as his progressive mental change from a curious mage studying unknown magicks to a self-proclaimed messiah planning to end all life. That transformation was indirectly caused by magick as well, for it was his magick that allowed him to travel to the desolate lands, the endless sea of gray mirrored glass and back to the Void.

Our Host!