For Those Of You Interested in MP/Modding Via Ventrilo

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by RunAwayScientist, Jun 28, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

For those of you who still troll the depths of the Arcanum forum and wish to talk shop about modding/scripting (of which I require help and assistance with) or who wish to set up a multiplayer game via Hamachai (Hamcheese), you can find me on this ventrilo in the evenings, eastern time:

whiterabbit

There's a few individuals there as well who would also be interested in starting up a game of Arcanum. Specifically look for:

- Theta; bert; RunAwayScientist

Currently working on a co-op version of Arcanum WIP 6.0 that we can use and upload to an FTP, as well as a second module showcasing the extent that the Arcanum scripting system can be pushed to.

If you are interested. Or bored. Philosophical/poltical debates are also a point of interest, if you're up for some intellectual stimulation.

2. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

Have you guys ever gotten the multiplayer to work online?

I would be interested in working on a multiplayer module. How familiar are you with Arcanum modding and scripting?

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Although I never dabble in the modding scene, I must commend you on your efforts.

4. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

Very familiar. I'm also versed in other scripting languages and programming languages, as well as an understanding of client v. server dynamics.

If I wanted to, I could coreograph a goddamn ballroom dance using Arcanum commands. I've already programmed police officers who arrest you via less than lethal methodologies, for example (something I think was missing with Arcanum's guardsmen).

The question really is: what can't you do? Well...okay...there are various limitations. I've almost finished my Arcanum Co-op mod. Just need to program a manual mapnum: x,y input. I'm in the vent right now, if you wish to join us. I'll probably be finishing this by the end of the night.

Thank you, that's much appreciated. I'm hoping to blow your mind when it comes to Arcanum scripting sometime in the near future. NPCs randomly going out to fill needs or dynamic patrolling scripts, NPCs initiating dialogue with the player, enhanced dialogue dynamics etc. etc. The tools to do cool stuff are there, just takes a little creative problem solving and plenty of trial and error....as with all coding.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

To be able to make NPCs work off a 24 hour clock would be amazing. Watching one leave their home to the local shop for supplies, returning home etc.

6. luppolo

luppolo New Member

actually i think is missing in almost all games that involve laws/guards, it's always to choose between instant surrender/fine payment or battle to death, or just the latter unless there are some scripted scenes (like you being captured in Chaos Theory in a specific level)

i'd like to help but i'm only into low level java

7. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

Arcanum scripting is easier than java to learn. You don't have any functions or classes to worry about. It's like that one old language...COBL I think it was. It was line based and used GOTO statements, just like Arcanum does (except GOTO can only be used 200-249 times before script discontinuation)

1. Some random NPC walk to x:0101 y:2213

2. return and SKIP default (this is the equivalent of a return(); in java/C++)

[ You can segment scripts as well using the return and SKIP default command. It's kind of like putting in a horizontal line break in HTML. This way, you can call different parts of the script using the call script (num) at line (num) command. ]

3. Local 0 = Local 1 * 5

4. Attachee = Triggerer

5. dialogue 25 (dialog is always run from the attachee)

6. Player Variable 1009 of Attachee = 5

7. return and SKIP default

Not to mention there is a really awesome program called ScriptED available here at the House Of Lords that you can download that is essentially an IDE for Arcanum. Contains a command lookup and everything. Makes scripting x10 as fast as using ScriptEd.

There is a limitation with NPCs. It won't be a 24 hour schedule. I cannot (realistically) store "needs" information on a per NPC/PC basis. You know how every NPC has a strength stat? The game records stats for NPCs individually, but the only way for me to "emulate" that is to use Global Vars. Unfortunately, this is static and un-dynamic. So if I want to use dynamic population generators and code that adapts to vague circumstances, I cannot have static variables. In fact, I would need arrays to do so (which the game does not provide).

uhhh, long story short a RANDOM command would have to be used when you're within the vicinity of the NPC. So they will have a 1 of 1000 chance to determine a random need to go fill (hunger, socialization, shopping need, sleep, patrol, robbery, go work). But it is possible. I just have to devise a dynamic waypoint system using invis scenery objects in order to "point the way" for NPCs to travel to their need filling locations.

8. luppolo

luppolo New Member

ugh

i have REALLY BAD memories about those

i will try ScriptED to see what's about, these scripts allow commenting right?

9. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

Yes. But whatever you do, don't use one ScriptEd program with the other after you've entered in comments. Heh. I recommend keeping comments in a separate .txt. I just had a bad experience with those last night....but that was only because I was switching between ScriptEd 1.0 and 1.5 and it read the comments differently and infused them with the code. As long as you use one or the other, I don't think you'll have any problems.

10. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

I got a preliminary version of it out. Manual input seems to not be working, but maybe that's just because I was inputting bad x, y coords. It is untested. Me and a friend are about to go test it now and see if all the tele locations are correct.

http://ras.teamsapd.com/ArcanumCoop.dat

If you want music, just copy+paste your modules\Arcanum\sound folder to modules\ArcanumCoop\ . There's a Gnomish Decombobulating Reconfigurator (friend's idea for the name) in a chest near start. Requires WIP. You COULD play it without WIP 6.0, but you might be missing art files, as well as script and dialogue files.

Also, do not open the world map or you'll crash. Townmap and sounds have all been taken out to reduce .dat size. If you wish to have spoken dialogue sounds and townmaps, you'll need to de-dat the Arcanum.dats and find the files then put them into Modules\ArcanumCoop\ and you should then be good to go.

11. luppolo

luppolo New Member

are there particular reasons to do so or it was a need of yours?

12. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

I preferred using ScriptEd 1.0 due to the command lookup, but I have learned that above 120 lines it starts to get wierd about compiling. It also had problems copying notepad lines from notepad to ScriptED. So, I switched to 1.5 mid-way and as a result the comments I wrote in 1.0 were borked.

Now I use them both, 1.5 to write the code compile and save and then 1.0 to lookup a command and then fill in the variables quickly.

Our Host!