Followers - Bad Reaction - No Bribes

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by AeriousBlackwind, Jul 15, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. AeriousBlackwind

AeriousBlackwind New Member

I've just ran through Black Mountain mines, I'm a summoner with high beauty, charisma, and persuasion.

I have no idea whats going on with some of my followers, currently I have dog, Sogg and Virgil. Virgil's reaction is hanging on okay, dog is a bit below neutral and mugg's is steadily dropping and is currently down to suspicious 36.

I read about bribes, and I've talked to Virgil, and gave wine to Sogg and neither of them are improving their reaction.

Sogg is extremely useful and I'd feel bad losing him. Also I've never made any of them wait.

As for my game, i have the most recent official arcanum patch, as well as the most recent Drog patch.

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

You must be wearing some kind of barbarian armor which gives you a reaction penalty. Dog is an animal, so his reaction should never drop under normal circumstances.

3. AeriousBlackwind

Im not sure what happened, maybe just my eyes fooling me, but Dog is back at neutral 50.

However I gained Chukka in the party, and both him and Sogg have a suspicion of me.

My background is debutante, female, elf. Perhaps their reaction is due to me being elven? Or Female? Im good aligned so I don't see why Chukka was iffy from the start.

But putting those 2 aside, I still cannot manage to bribe anyone, perhaps im just an idiot and doing it wrong.

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Are you sure you're not using any equipment with reaction penalties?

Also, followers might get angry if you do 'bad' things, like picking pockets or lockpicking owned chests.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Check the Kills & Injuries section in your Log Book for scars.

6. AeriousBlackwind

No injuries, the only things im wearing is War Boots, poison resistance ring, magick armor and mage staff thats all, i stripped each one and no changes. Like I said, dog is back at neutral, and virgil is courteus 67, but the two ogres are down to 34-37

And ofcourse no one accepts any bribes =\

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Well, I guess that's normal. Half-Ogres and Ogres are a bit racist.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see you're suffering a -15 penalty with Sogg and -20 with Chukka.

BTW, you can also use fate points to boost their reactions.

8. AeriousBlackwind

Well that sure helped me figure it out, sucks I chose ogres for my companions then. However do you know why the bribes don't work? I havent ever tried them on anyone before, so I am not quite sure how to approach it, and I do not wish to waste precious fate points on it =\

9. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

The bribe/persuasion options usually appear when a follower's reaction drops to 20 or below.

10. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Are you playing the unpatched game? Sometimes if you're playing without the official patch, followers' reactions will drop during fights if they get hit by a lot of arrows.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I believe the archer-related bug was still present in the latest official patch, unfixed until the UAP.

12. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

13. AeriousBlackwind

Thanks for the help fellas, it turned out that it was the racism, as I started comparing ogres v. everyone else and there was a distinct difference. I guess I just hadnt notice until that point.

14. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Sorry. My reading comprehension is usually better than that.

Our Host!