Flamethrower, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sorg, Jul 1, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sorg

Sorg Member

Since i saw it on the cover, i've always been interested by this weapon but after gettin to know the game and finding the schematic, i don't know, it just seems lack luster when you read the damage and compare it to the blade launcher... + fuel is expansive.
    I was wondering if i was missing something on the flamethrower and if anyway ever used it alot.

2. shupbeav

shupbeav New Member

I got really into guns with one of my tech characters so yeah I used the flame thrower for a while just to play with the idea of it. I ended up going with pistols so I could use a shield. That is the only reason I didn't keep using the tesla gun. It actually has some impressive damage. Droch's Warbringer is a really good hand gun. You get a lot of damage good range and can still use a shield. So if you want a shield I would go with the warbringer if you just want to do some damage the tesla gun.

However, you also have to consider how well you shoot. If you are skilled in firearms then go with high damage and long ranges. If not then go with rate of fire. More specifically the machine gun, or is it mechanized gun I can't remember. Anyway, the more rounds out the barrel the more chances you will hit the target. You will also probably end up hitting your followers from time to time as well.

3. Sorg

Sorg Member

I don't find shield useful as a gun technologist, sending your companions and making them tank *cough*Virgil*cough* while you shoot from far away is what it's all about.
    But whenever i went into the firearm tech tree, I never went down another so i never used a tesla rod or the flamethrower hence why i'm asking.

4. EBM

EBM New Member

I use the flamethrower regularly, but it's a bit weak in vanilla Arcanum (like many tech weapons). However, its usefulness rises as enemies have less and less fire resistance.

If all you want is to dish out a lot of damage (against all targets), you might want to look elsewhere.

5. shupbeav

shupbeav New Member

My suggestion to you would be the tesla gun. It takes a mastery of two disciplines but it will benefit you with the most powerful firearm. It takes batteries however, which take more time to stockpile. Bullets are of a much more ample supply. Still I would also recommend considering fast firing rates in particularly the mechanized gun which is easily acquired from the guy in Caladon if you complete his quest of bringing him the camera with proof of his flying machine working he will make you a mechanized gun. Nothing needed but the skill to use it... that and a whole lot of bullets.

6. Sorg

Sorg Member

I have finished Arcanum multiple times as a firearm master (my favorite) and used most guns except the ones that required multiple masteries.
    Guess the flamethrower is more a fun weapon rather then a powerful one.
    I never tried the tesla gun, since like you said, batteries are just annoying to stockpile compared to bullets but, is it stronger then the blade launcher (which uses 6 bullets lol)?

Our Host!