Flamable and explodable environment and items ....

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Menkhur, Sep 7, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

It would be very interesting to shoot a fireball at a barrel full of powder and blow up a house.

It would be also interesting to be able to destroy the scenery (lamps, furniture, wall decorations) when you use spells or attacke them.

It would also be VERY interesting to be able to be able to set a house on fire ...

Or even better ... a boat ....
    What if you burned up all the boats in a city?

2. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

Are we talking Arcanum or Gone with the Wind? I'm getting a bit lost here :-?

3. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Hey!
    You're the one who wants to find true love in a Caladon cell ... :wink:

I'm talking about being able to set off explosives like the Dukes of Hazzard ...
    Leave the dynamite sticks there, aim your bow (pyro-bow) and shoot.

Or if you don't have a pyro-bow then ask Virgil to hold it in place for a little while ...

Or ... even better ... pick-pocket a character and place in their inventory a lit dynamite stick.

4. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Why go to Caladon when all he has to do is call you, Menkhur?

5. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Mr. Craftlord, you are confused.

I am retired sage. I'm not a call-boy.

The reference to Caladon comes from another post, in another thread.

6. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I know. I replied to that one, too. I simply could not resist the opportunity for a weak joke. 0:)

7. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

To put this topic on tracks again. It's a great idea however there is a disadvantage. Let's look at Tarant, largest city on continent. I read somewhere that there are 15000 inhabitants (I first wrote people - what a racist I am 3:) ) This can't be pictured in a game so you have about 100characters and up to 50 homes. Roughly - I didn't count either of these figures. Anyway you can't expect to really be able to blow Tarant to pieces and you could do it. So it's an unrealistic idea.
    On the other hand though you can kill every single character in Tarant and you shouldn't be able to kill 15000 beings. So it's unrealistic too. Added to that how much I would love to play a game in which you could really affect your surroundings I think it's a good idea overall.

8. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

I didn't know Taran had 15,000 inhabitants.
    The number must include RATS.

Anyway, that only makes it much more appealing.

Speaking about explosions, you CAN pick up items when you will the monsters with granades, right?
    Maybe they should change that too...

An item I wish you could wield:
    A torch.
    On fire.
    Damage 1-4 FD: 2-4

Simple, fun.

9. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Yes although not to "grenade used > monster has no items" model. After all grenade doesn't have to tear apart to kill. Things that should get always damaged would be armor and to a lesser extent shield, helmet, gloves. If a montster exploded then his armor should be completely destroyed as well as any bullets and other explosive stuff he was carrying. All the paper and other flammable things too. But then who would like to use grenades?

And it's durability should go down constantly while it's lit. Torch's life span should be around few hours of game time to make it really a last resort weapon.

10. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

I, for one, would. :thumbup:

11. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I had a hunch you're a pyro :)

12. xento

xento New Member

Well, one thing is for sure, the cities need to be bigger and more realistic, but, ya, there should be spots where you can blow up walls, or maybe burn flammible objects (some kinds of houses) to the ground. Riots can easily burn a city to the ground, but since the city is much smaller on here, why not one person? Random weather effects, such as snow, sleet, hail, or rain, would put out the fires, while wind and hot weather would cause it to spread. Be careful, if you dont get out of there, the fire can get you too! If you set a fire, the special department would come out and put water on the fire, and some super-strong gunmen would try to stop you from starting any more fires. That way, it won't be too easy to do it.

13. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Why don't you use the firemen as human shields? Are you afraid they'd spray you with water, oooh. As far a the game is concerned a l33T gunman would have 3 points on gun mastery and a shotgun, not very hard.

14. xento

xento New Member

Well, maybe not gunmen, but some special abilities. Like an army (5) arachnids that moved at speed 36.

15. The_Malus_Monkey

The_Malus_Monkey New Member

I like all of these ideas. I love being able to blow apart doors and windows but I wanted much much more, Bate's house go BOOM *evil laugh. Er to get back to this, There should also be limits as nbrosz said, like really strong buildings and such, but with being able to blow stuff up explosives would have to be made weaker or more rare or other wise you could just build up quikly and level a city in no time. I like the arachnid idea, hmm maybe automatons with guns (automaton gunners) that actually were hard fast and shot well, 5 Ap or Ex. Would add more realism to the game if everything was more expansive and destructible!

Our Host!