firearms - any good?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by silver, Feb 18, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. silver

silver New Member

ive played many characters but hardly have touched technical characters.. ive never bothered with bows/guns because u have to keep stock of arrows/bullets.. has anyone found playing a human with a rifle to be very effective? if i build strength up to 20 and have the best gun (elephant gun?? whats the best gun), how does it stand against high lvl NPC's/creatures?

also.. i have never touched schematics.. its never interested me.. u know, looking around and searching for the required items, when they mostly can be easily bought (afew points on haggle and ur right).. not that ive got much experience, but from what i can see, schematics take alot of experience points for little reward?

anyone share my opinion but then come to enjoy tech-orientated characters?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I like playing the gunfighter-techno characters ala Indiana Jones.

In the stock game I was partial to the Quality Revolver up until I could get a Elephant Gun, then a Droch's Warbringer.

Everyone has their favorite guns, from the Marksman Rifle to the Vendigroth Large-bore, but those three were the ones I used most. The Quality Revolver is fantastic for lower-level players because you can use them accurately with less strength, and they're uneffected by the presence of magic.

My opinion of their effectiveness is damped by the fact it's been well over a year since I last played a stock game, and I like to play with large parties, who do a good job of taking up the slack on any weak hits.

As for the schematics - it all depends upon the way you play. At seven points for mastery of a tech skill, dumping points into electrical is useless if an item from gunsmithy needs to be created.

I tend to go for mastery of all the tech skills just to make things easier somewhere down the road.

Also - you can temporarily boost your tech skills with a manual for the particular tech.

So, yeah. I think they're worth it.

3. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I think the best guns are either the Looking Glass rifle, or Drochs Warbringer; the rifle for it's awesome range and firepower, and the gun for it's speed, power and allowance of shields and somesuch.

4. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

My vote is for the qulity revolver - best dmg to ammo ratio, also good speed and magick resistance. The Drochs Warbringer appears way too late in the game, by then you don't have to shoot ore golems anymore.

Guns in general pack quite a punch, the ammo is the only problem. Explosives mix very well with gunsmithy.

5. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

wtf isn't the flamethrower the strongest gun? :/

6. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Regardless of how strong or weak they are, I like using firearms mainly for the novelty it brings to the character I'm playing at the time. Even then, I'll specialize a Gunslinger character even further by pretending this one is only good with pistols or this one is only good with rifles. It's not necessary to do, but adds some extra personality to your character.

And remember: with guns..."the weight is sign of reliablity. I always go for reliability....Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit him with it."

7. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

hell no, at least in the original unmodded arcanum.

i like tech characters, since they're far more interesting to play. magic is easier and more efficient than technology, though it's a piece of cake if you want to get richer by selling explosives and stuff.

before i start with my usual undecipherable rantings and moronic sentences, i just want to write one thing.

firearms is way more interesting than melee.

fine revolver is great for the early game, and it looks cool. :D

later on, if you build up your strength, the elephant gun. :D if you choose not to become more stronger, there are other good guns. the hand cannon, for example, is pretty darn effective and it too looks cool.

and even later than later on, the tesla gun and the warbringer. :D no magic spell can do 80 points of electricity damage, the only thing is, that the damn thing is so hard to make.

the only technological discipline which i find apsolutely useless is therapeutics, all others are wonderous.

and yes, i know that i'm a maniac. :D

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

When I played a gunslinger, I realised most of my money was disappearing in the shops when I was buying ammo. Which actually was a good and realistic thing, because normally you have so much money you could buy a small city with it.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You could say that again. One of my main complaints with games like NWN2 is that once you're level 12 or so you're waltzing around with millions in your pocket. This isn't bad in and by itself, but since the only stuff worth buying is better equipment (usually rendered completely redundant when identifying the loot in the next dungeon) you just keep piling it up. If there were more cool stuff to spend it on (like expendable mercenaries and brothels) that would have been great.

10. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

:) moar hoars. :thumbup:

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    I was actually thinking about going into the pimp business, owning brothels and waging war on other pimps. But then Bioware would have to *gasp* climb somewhat in the American rating system, meaning the game wouldn't sell on Walmart.

12. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    All these ratings and censorship laws only serve to hold back potential. Ever wondered why Bioware among others won't include certain elements into their games? This is why: if the content of a game is rated "R" or "M" or whatever letter crucial chains such as Walmart won't carry it, biting a big chunk off that profit margin. This is not just in America. Things may have changed, but in Germany they used to disallow games completely unless the blood was removed or changed into green and if enemies weren't human but zombies or other fictional creatures. We live in the fucking 21st century, it should be widely known at this point that games don't kill people.

14. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Unfortunately, you're smarter and make more sense than the people running your country. But then, I'm one to talk here in America where the parents and politicians are often more retarded than the youth. Makes me depressed to grow old.

15. Langolier

Langolier Member

Firearms is definitely worth it, but I strongly recommend two things for any firearms character:

1) High charisma for lots of followers

2.) High tech aptitude as soon as possible

For any tech character you should also invest at least two points in electrical for charged rings. These will boost your dex up to 12. With that I would then put three points in throwing and put at least one point in explosives. This way you have decent backup weapon for when enemies get too close. You also might want to put three points in dodge as well.

As for what weapon to use, you can get by most of the game with just a fine revolver. Either make one yourself (two points in gun smithy) or have Vollinger make you one. It might be worth it to put several points in gunsmithy because then you will have an easier time making the found schematic guns which tend to be much better than the ones that come from actual Gunsmithy degrees. The repeater rifle in particular will lead to several nice firearms.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    What I tend to do is that I use a fate point to steal the Hand Cannon off the insulting halfling.

17. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Games don't kill people, people kill people.

It's always easier to blame something else other than the corrupted nature of an individual/a group.

Just for the record, I was being sarcastic in my earlier post.

And, green blood and zombies, if I recall correctly, Carmageddon, right, or one of its sequels?

18. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Also, Grand Theft Auto 3 suffered similarly in Germany.
    They either had no blood or green blood in the game, but there's a cheat you can put in that'll completely uncensor it;

Change the display mode from PAL to NTSC. The only problem then is getting a NTSC television.

19. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Firearms are really rough and expensive in the beginning. You also have to keep tabs on your followers so they don't waste bullets.
    "Stop firing, it's just a rat!"

I like the flamethrower, which I believe uses cheap fuel, but may be difficult or expensive to find in the beginning.

20. Langolier

Langolier Member

To build the flamethrower you need a fire obstruction, which is the second to last Explosives degree.

Our Host!