Finding/steeling a helmet of vision?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by golemmaster, Aug 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

Hey guys. I just found a schematic about a helmet which gives you improved perception, you have to combine the helmet of vision (the one from the smithy skill line) and that machinical glasses (from the mechanics skill line, which give you +2 perception)

I have those glasses, but I have no points in smithy and magnus seems to have stopped putting points in his smithy skills (or tech skills at all) at level 4.

Getting the expertise would be no problem since I can buy these buks in tarrant (although ill have to buy a really big bunch of them to get my expertise in mechanical high enough to build that helmet), but is there a possiblity to find/steal a vision helmet in the game? I'd have one fatepoint to spare so pickpoting would be an option, but I dunno if anyone wars such a helmet.

Oh, and I am going to quintarra now, so please keep spoilers concerning anything beyond this point low please. If spoilers arent being able to be avoided otherwise, a simple "later on you will find some dwarf who has this helmet" will suffice.

Thx.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I don't think you can purchase or steal the helmet off of anyone in Arcanum, unless you modify the inventory of certain shopkeepers to sell the Helmet.

Other than that, your only options are to either gain enough levels to make buying the tech manuals economical, or use the arcanum save editor to give yourself those levels of tech expertise.

3. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Later on you meet a dwarf who wears a helmet, but it isn't this one.

4. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Re: Helmet of Vision / Goggled Helm

Yeah, I was really disappointed when I did my Master of Masters Quests that I couldn't find either a helmet of vision or a goggled helm. Once you get the schematic you could have made the latter if there had been a helmet of vision anywhere. For instance the dwarf in the wheel clan gives you a mining helm when he could have given you a helmet of vision! Likewise the optician only sells glasses, not those binoculars (eye gear), trapmaker spectacles or the goggled helm. If even one character had a helmet of vision you could have pick-pocketed it!

I think I'll figure out if I can change something so it shows up in my game. The dwarf's script is probably the easiest and fairest to change.

5. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Finally got around to it, but will have to go look for a save at that point to test it, or at least test it with my stooge, Weldo.

01471Vegard_MoltenFlow.dlg
    {81}{Hmmm. I don't know...there are always guards at the entrance to the Dredge, and I wouldn't want you to cause any trouble. BUT! If you happen to get permission to go into those old caves and came out with my heirloom, I might be willing to give you a stout helmet...it's the basis for making more advanced helms.}{Hmmm. I don't know...there are always guards at the entrance to the Dredge, and I wouldn't want you to cause any trouble. BUT! If you happen to get permission to go into those old caves and came out with my heirloom, I might be willing to give you a stout helmet...it's the basis for making more advanced helms.}{}{}{}{qu1092 1}

01471Vegard_MoltenFlow.scr
    2. create object with basic prototype 8186 inside Triggerer

I like the idea of adjusting the shopkeeper's inventory for the optician. It seems later on in the game the shopkeepers have better stuff, but I'm not sure. I've never done it before but that would be cool if after a certain story state (find the Wheel Clan) the optician offers other stuff like eye gear, helmet of vision, goggled helm, trapmaker spectacles, and for a laugh: W.C. specatacles!

6. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

re: helmet of vision

O.K. Finally tested this with a new game and it works fine. But then I decided, what they hey, let's change Magnus's level scheme so he could make the Helmet of Vision! Done: all my tech characters can have a goggled helm. (Now waiting for Magnus to level up to build Elite Plate!)

I still don't have a good helm for Raven (and Waromon), though, who uses a bow, since the magick helms are PE-1. According to the manual, PE affects other ranged attacks besides guns: bow and throwing.

I did figure out that the rag you put on your head for the Women's Camp, acts like a helmet: AC and/or DR+, but PE-1. How does it block your vision?

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re: re: helmet of vision

It's a little loose-fitting and it sometimes falls on your eyes, causing you to not see too well. ;)

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It was made by a woman!

Our Host!