Films...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Sep 27, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

For me, the film was worth watching, if only to see the scene near the end in which
    Samara climbed the well in a most inhuman and creepy fashion.

The Japanese series made me fear things which I did not see. Things that were hiding in the darkness, inches behind me and things that were watching me from within my very own head.

The American series, on the other hand, decided to explain and show me all of the scary stuff in full detail, therefore not leaving anything for my imagination to create and be actually afraid of.

It also replaced the unnerving silence with a soundtrack which most probably tried its best to be unnerving, yet was not. If fact, it was calming, because it reminded the viewer that what he's watching is just a movie, a work of fiction.

When the shadows come for you, there is no soundtrack. Silence is more realistic, it makes you think you actually participate in the horrors you are witnessing. That's one of the reasons why "28 Days Later" was such an intense movie.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

"28 Days Later" really was a good movie, but it's good they didn't put one of the original endings in; the cure for rage.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

[possible spoilers]

I agree, the whole premise behind that ending was contradictory with everything that was shown about rage thorough the movie.

Not that I liked the ending that did end up as the official one. It seemed like a forced happy end to me. I definitely prefer the "What if..." ending, which was in fact the original one, later replaced with the more optimistic one.

Yes, the one above is bleak, depressing and unsatisfying, but it's the only thing I really see happening under those circumstances. It also matches the overall atmosphere of the movie, which did not at any time - except for the official ending - try to be comforting.

[/possible spoilers]

4. Grossenschwamm

I actually liked the what if? and the given ending. I actually thought it was a
    breath of fresh air to find the contagion hadn't spread everywhere, and that it happened to be localized to the UK. Bad for them, but I suppose it's good for the rest of the world when your murder-virus is transmitted by direct contact with blood and can't seem to cross bodies of water.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

That wasn't my argument.

Try again.

6. Grossenschwamm

I see a compromise. Warner Brothers merchandised the fuck out of both Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. Especially Batman & Robin, because WB wanted something more family friendly. To this end, Schumacher thought that by completely undermining the entire franchise, he was making a good movie. This made the toys that much more attainable for all the kids who could never have gotten into batman if it was as depressing and real as if it was in a comic book. However, Schumacher's desire to put nipples on the costumes of male characters, as well as codpieces, plus random lengthy butt and crotch shots, made people think he turned the dynamic duo gay. Which, if you followed the comics during the Silver Age, you knew there was no way he could make it any gayer. However, George Clooney actually approached the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman, not only as an eccentric billionaire playboy, but as a gay eccentric billionaire playboy. So, there's a great deal of evidence for both sides of the argument. Now that I've seen the Bat-Signal, I've got to put the lives of two well-meaning kids in danger, and hopefully my arch-nemesis doesn't kill one and cripple the other.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The suit up scene of batgirl was hot though.

8. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I do agree that silence is better for realism in horror films, but at the same turn I also found all the references to ESP in the japanese version destroyed the realism somewhat for me. Paranormal goings on in horror films shouldn't be so easily quantified through scientific means, I think it diminishes their impact if you try to provide a reason instead of just leaving the horror as a complete unknown. I also feel as if the director probably just tacked on a reference to ESP because it was what was in vogue in horror stories at the time, why else would he bother including something like that randomly? Also the references to the volcano in the film irked me too, I found them over the top.

In regards to the other ending for 28 Days Later, I agree that the cut ending was better. The best horror films always finish with an ending that gives more questions than it does answers, and the more grim the ending the more it unsettles the viewer which is what a horror film is essentially designed to do anyway. That's one of the reasons why I like the book Christine so much.

9. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

Try again.

10. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I think you're all putting a lot more thought into those Batman films than Schumacher ever did. They're just dumb films, over-analysing them is an exercise in futility. I heard that Michael Keaton was going to be in Batman Forever, but took one look at the nipples on the suit and left.

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Don't chime in on our banter you twat.

12. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

Oops, sorry. I mean... erm... my name is Grakelin. Try again.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Saw The Hunter today starring William Dafoe, really good psychological drama. It also shows nice scenery and the welcome you would get in Tasmania.

14. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

It's spelt WILLEM Dafoe, you twat.

15. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

You can either spell it like William or Willem Dafoe.

16. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

17. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Don't copycat the exact words of Zanza, you Smuelissim0.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

What an unfulfilled life you must live. I truly pity you sometimes, then I remember you have no one to blame except yourself.

19. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

Actually, one-upping trolls on the internet is pretty sweet.

20. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Which troll have you one-upped? The only person on this site you ever one-upped, as far as I can recall, was Gross and he wasnt even a troll.

Our Host!