FELT LIKE TELLING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RPjunkie, Nov 16, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What is a good size family(# children)?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2003.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Ditto for me which is why we changed it, and it's now one of my middle names. It's also why I never put it on forms unless I really have to (like passports etc).

2. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

My wifey does the same thing Snowy. The first thing she does when I give her a name is associate it with the first thing that comes to mind. Usually way off and obscure, but not always incorrect. Then she thinks of all possible nicknames for the given name. Now what child never went through life without a nickname of some sort or another??

Settler said:
    and
    Well, Connor was supposed to be the name of our first child had it been (MY WIFEY WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE RIGHT NOW!) a boy, and was in the mix for the second. Dacre was immediately frowned at (sorry). Since I have a toddler Clifford made me think of a big red dog, and then the mailman from the old Cheers sitcom. Alexander, Dylan, and Dane are all names of cousins that we have. Nicholas is too popular.

Gwen is too movie-starish. Alice made me think of the Brady Bunch. Megan is my brother's wife. Claire/Clare was okayed, but not for my wifey's child.

You see. These are the kind of comments that I must deal with for every name that I submit. Thus my dilemma. I need to think of name(s) that will not give my child reason to hate me, and that will not cause resentment and/or arguements between my wifey and I. I have a hard time trying cultural names, but am always willing to try. I need your help out there! Please keep the name suggestions coming!

3. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Boys:
    Maximilian
    Martin
    Luke

Girls:
    Shauna
    Laura
    Casandra

That's all for now. I'll post again when I have ideas.
    If you don't mind latino names, I know a lot.

4. Settler

Settler Member

Mmm...boys aren't bad, girls aren't great - I would prefer 'Lauren' over 'Laura', though.

Brittany (NOT Britney) is nice, but inevitably people think of Britney Spears...anyway, every other Brittany I know I loathe...there are so many names ruined by things like that.

I agree Dacre isn't a great name, but there's something I can't put my finger on that I like about it...there's got to be another name like it that's a little less obtuse...

5. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Here is a revised list of names without the crazy middle names:

Male

Dominic
    Connor (not copying, always liked that name)
    Donegan
    Agostino (Respectable)
    Sergio
    Fabrizio
    Salvatore (Savior)
    Santino (Saint)
    Angelo (Angel)
    Vincento (Vinnie is such a great nickname)
    Vittorio (Victor, Conquerer)
    Luigi (Warrior)
    Mario (Warlike, comes from the root name Mars, the Roman God of War)
    Drago/Draco (Dragon)
    Ivan
    Alexander, Aleksandr, Alexei, Alesandro

Female

Natasha
    Natalya
    Svetlana
    Serena (Serene, obviously)
    Valeria (Strenth, Valor)
    Angelina (Little Angel)
    Camilla (Virginial)
    Fiorella (Little Flower)
    Fionna
    Bridget
    Anna

There are more, but I can't think of them right now

6. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Nice names. I see most are Italian, though there are spots of Russian here and there.
    Really? Didn't know it meant that. I've a friend with that name...

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I can't believe its taken me this long to post here but congratulations RPjunkie, have you considered Dylan for a boy, its my brothers name, Welsh in origin, although there was a bit of an outburst in its use following the appearance of a 'Dylan' on Beverly Hills 90210

8. Settler

Settler Member

Already mentioned it Richard (it's my name), and apparently RP has a relative already named Dylan.

Excellent taste, though :).

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Ah, should probably have read more closely, I'm really beginning to like you Settler. Keep up with the replies please, aside from Sigurd and Canis your the only one that does.

10. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Great work on the names peeps ( :) THANK YOU :D ). And keep 'em coming. We thought of of something else-the reason we are loking for 'different' names is that don't want names that can be or usually are shortened. We are going to give them a name that we want them them to go be called. For example; if we wanted a son to be called "Vinnie" then why name them Vincent if it won't be utilized? Or William, Robert, or other such names that are commonly shortened.

My wifey gave me a couple of suggestions:
    Boys
    Brody
    Jayon

Girls
    Brenna
    Sadie

and I'd like to add that there are few names added to my list so that it now contains:
    Boys
    Corbin (damn if I don't really like this one!)
    Jayon? (still deciding)
    Eammon?? (on it way out)
    Alexei (kinda like this one too)

Girls
    Gaia (I was thinking of switching it to Kaia)
    Nadia (just thought of it while typing)
    Brenna? (looks/sounds better the more I stare at it)
    Cassidy? (possibility)
    Serena (sounds peaceful)

Other than that other names that Sigurd gave me are a little too cultural for the wifey. I really like Svetlana, but
    said the wifey (sorry Sig). Mario and Luigi made her think of The Super Mario Bothers and Nintendo Corp. Fabrizio, Vittorio (which I like), Santino and others were said to be fine if we lived in Italy or somewhere. So I said then lets move there. Idea not well received! I do like the sound of Draco; possibly as a middle name.

11. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

This is pretty much what I said before, but would you really inflict the name "Alexei" on a child? I like Alexa for a girl, that on a boy, that is just too effeminate. You don't have to come up with some sort of fantastically different name, because it could just end up being a curse. Here are a few of my suggestions.

Boys:
    I'm telling you, Will is the way to go. Its easy and nice, plus almost all the Wills I know are hot, so he'd be in good company.

Girls:
    Alexa
    Carolyn
    April
    Cassandra ---> I know a girl named this and I think it's pretty cool.

12. Settler

Settler Member

[Edit] - I'm flattered, RV :) ...

RP, I'm worried. You've been red-hot on Gaia this whole thread. As a word I suppose it sounds nice, but when I see it, I can't help but think of kids at my school growing up with names like 'Crystal', 'Rainbow', etc. I don't know, I'm just rambling...but I would recommend Gaia as a middle name instead if you decide to keep it...just my opinion...

13. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Like Settler said, I'm flattered, Vorak. I'm glad somebody likes me besides Matah Chuah, my Southern Brother. Wait, maybe if I didn't get into massive, angry debates with everyone....no, that wouldn't be any fun.
    And RP, I'm happy to see that two of my names made the list. I understand about the Italian names. If you aren't Italian, or live in the country, it might seem a little wierd. Like me naming my son Ju-Long. Ju-Long Rosselli is just a little strange and culturally complex. But then of course I can just name him Draco. I suppose naming a kid Mario or Luigi would assure ridicule unless they lived in Italy or North Jersey (Yeah!). And Svetlana is a little unusuall for America, where Different is Bad.

What's so bad about Alexei? In case you don't know, it's pronounced ahl-EX-ee. Seems manly enough to me.

14. Canis

Canis New Member

Well, I don't know who else has this name, but as a Russian name it's pronounced ah-lyek-SYEY. Which is all fine and dandy for Russians, but in English Aleksei is one of those borderline names that can just sound too effeminate for many people. Kinda like Sasha. :)

15. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I guess I just meant the closest Anglic approximation to the correct Russian pronunciation. My bad, there. My freind Dimitry would have a cow if he saw I wrote that. Okay, after saying it a few times, I can see how it would be maybe a little effeminate. Naming your son Sasha would be a crime. I'm assuming that's a diminutive of a longer name, like Misha to Mikhial.

16. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Just thought i'd throw in a few......

Lachlan
    Adam
    Bren
    jonas

Michelle
    Nastasha
    Jacinta

17. Settler

Settler Member

Isn't Sasha the Slavic pet form for Alexander?

18. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Since I don't know, I'm assuming you are right. It makes sense. Sasha, from Aleksandr.

19. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Not saying yet how any of the names would be arranged. So names on my list are just ideas for both first and middle names. Could be mixed together in any order. I just haven't decided the which names to pair together or in what order. Gaia would probably be more fitting as a middle name than a first.

Boys: Ceryl is the only new on that I have, But i do like Bren. Corbin and Jayon make this cut. An I think that Eammon and Alexei will go on the maybe or middle name list.

Girls: Wifey likes Alexa. Nadia make the list. Brenna and Kaia go to maybe/middle name list.

20. Solaris

Solaris New Member

It is. Being Sasha/Alexander myself, I testify to that :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!