FELT LIKE TELLING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RPjunkie, Nov 16, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What is a good size family(# children)?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2003.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Settler

Settler Member

Umm...let's see...generally, I like old Celtic, Welsh or Old English names (or descendants)...but anyway, here you go...

Boys

• Connor (My brother's name)
      Dacre (Day-ker...yeah, it's a little out there, but it sounds nice...)
      Clifford (There's always the danger of this being shortened to Cliff, though :-o :thumbdown: )
      Alexander (One of my friends - just liked it)
      Dylan (Mine - I'm not an arrogant bastard, I just happen to like it :) )
      Dane (Always seemed a little...impersonal, though)
      Nicholas
      Eamonn

Girls

• Gwen/Gwyneth
      Alice
      Megan
      Claire/Clare

We'll, that's about it. Tell me what you think.

2. Wolf

Wolf New Member

hey that name's from one o' those david eddings books. you cant fool me. i believe it was the belgariad, right? (Bel)Garion's "wifey"

and that's his gandmother
    EDIT: holy shit! someone already said it. and it was JARINOR!! he...reads?
    anyway sorry for the repeat

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I read quite a bit, surprising as it may seem. One of my favourite pasttimes actually.

I'm actually not a big fan of my name. Yeah, it's uncommon without being weird, but I don't like it. No, I'm not saying what it is either.

4. Settler

Settler Member

*Collective whine*

[tangent]

For some reason, I like my name a hell of a lot more when it's spelt right (by my definition) and not "Dillon", or worse, "Dillion"...same deal with Dacre...Dayker is just...*shudder*

[/tangent]

5. Canis

Canis New Member

Dylan is overused. I like it personally, as Dylan is one of my favorite Welsh deities (and poets), but there's way too many baby boomer parents naming their kids that nowadays. I've even met some girls called Dylan, imagine the horror. Almost as irritating as the trend towards using Artemis as a male name. I blame that Jewish folk singer who took it because he wanted people to think of him as a poet. Boomers associate said folk singer with their youth, name their kids after him, and the travesty continues.

Anyway, to spell it right you need a circumflex over the y. From what little of my Welsh I remember, that would mean your name is pronounced Duhlan. Enjoy.

6. Settler

Settler Member

I actually haven't come across many Dylans at all...only one that I remember, in fact...

I wasn''t aware of any girls called Dylan, until someone at school made a joke about Charlie's Angels :???: ...

7. Silvara

Silvara New Member

There are girls called Dylan?? Ugh!
    Well, I suppose that people can name their children what they want...

8. Settler

Settler Member

I hear ya...
    Apparently there was a couple in (insert random Western European country) that named their child as some bizarre combination of letters and numbers around 30 characters long - although it was pronounced "Alban". So there :???: .

9. Silvara

Silvara New Member

That's a good example of people who didn't think their child would have to live with it and wanted something original. Imagine having such a name...

10. Settler

Settler Member

Oh, they were forced to change it by the state.

Child abuse :) ?

11. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Really? I didn't know the state could force you to change your child's name...

12. Settler

Settler Member

Mind you, this is all hear-say...but I think in special circumstances it's possible.

13. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Like, to prevent child abuse by ridicule naming...

14. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

okay, wifey added a new stipulation. [After our last child she said that I get to name the next one.] She will go along with it as long as I would seriously consider naming my child the chosen name. Thus considering my list now contains:

Boys
    Eamonn
    Corbin

Girls
    Gaia
    Arianna

Damn! I'm fairly short on names that won't cause a fight. Come on guys (and gals) give me hand here. I have until the end of May/beginning of June to come with 4 or 5 names to submit, or one each for boy and girl.

15. Settler

Settler Member

Oh, come on, mine weren't that bad :) ...

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Corbin [Dallas] is actually okay. It fulfills the aims of being uncommon, probably won't cause your child to be ridiculed and sounds good. That, and it's from the Fifth Element. Eamonn is too medieval-like though - sounds more like the name a half-man half-goat would have. Is that another name you've stolen, because I swear I've heard it somewhere else before!

Arianna doesn't sound bad, but I'm sure I've also read that name in a fantasy book.

17. Settler

Settler Member

Eamonn's as real as real gets, Jar...it's got a nice fantasy feel without being corny (or actually being from a fantasy book).

18. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well, I myself don't like Eamonn, but it's your children, not mine.
    Of course, it would sound rather silly round here...
    And Jarinor, I think Arianna is yet another name taken from Eddings' books; that's how the girlfriend of one of Garion's friends (Lelldorin) is called.
    This one sounds more real, though, and I rather like it; I might name one of my children like that someday, if I ever have any. It is also very similar to Ariadna, the name of a princess in the Greek story of Theseus and the Minotaur.
    It also resembles my mother's name - Adriana.

19. Canis

Canis New Member

I can't help but associate the name Arianna with that evil, self-serving wench Arianna Huffington. She is a stain upon California politics. She is so foul her husband gave up his career as a US Representitive and chose divorce and homosexuality rather than be with her a moment longer. I'd only name a girl Arianna if I thought she had a future as the Wicked Witch of Santa Monica.

Eamon is good if you're an Irish Republican. Can't ever say the name without thinking Eamon de Valera.

20. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Might I just suggest that you consider carefully how you would feel as a... say 13-19 year old with the name you are thinking about for your child. You don't really want your child to hate you because you had to give it a weird ass name, do you? I would be super pissed if I always had to tell people how to pronounce my name (oh wait... I already do with my last name!) plus your kid will never hear the end of it if you name them something hilariously weird. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!