Fan Graveyard

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by davethebrave, May 27, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well yes, that's what I had on mind. Do you think it is some kind of easter egg referring to something/somebody, or is it just a bizarre idea for a little easing up while walking from doing a serious quest in one town and another?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'd have to go with easing up.

3. vesselle

vesselle New Member

sorry for dredging this up... but...
    fan graveyards have quite a long tradition in rpgs. i mean, really, if there isn't a fan graveyard, then how could it possibly be a real rpg? :p

:D

V***V

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Well... Since you put it that way....

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I haven't seen any Nancy Drew games at all, but I'm sure Agatha Christie has a major gamer following as an author of influential murder mysteries and plays.

And the people who make Barbie's Horse Adventures wouldn't be making Arcanum 2 if they weren't doing Barbie. They'd just do Dora's Horse Adventures. It's like getting pissed off that they ended Sopranos, but Sesame Street is still on TV.

People like to bitch all the time that "ZOMG VIDEO GAMES ARE GOING INTO DECLINE ZOMG", but when you see ALL the games of history, the quality doesn't really change all that much. It gets more expensive, and that's about it. We've always had sucky movie games, games that pump graphics over gameplay (yes, even back in 2D), and convoluted storylines. If anything, we've been given an IMPROVEMENT by recieving things like the Riddick game, Grand Theft Auto, and Indigo Prophecy (examples matching respectively with the examples in last sentence).

Indeed, we can't say that only the good get shut down. Plenty of smaller companies make BAD games. EA and Ubisoft etc. seem to last longer on their 'franchises' because they already have a foundation. At the same time, they're also pumping out games at the rate of 4 or 5 small-time companies. And you can't say that the big companies don't make any good games at all. I enjoyed the Sims AND the Sims 2, even if they did milk it to bits. And what about Splinter Cell? Or the original Prince of Persia?

Really, looking back, of course we're going to think we're going into decline. We only see the jewels in the rough. How many other awesome games were made in 2002? Probably the same amount of awesome games made in 2007.

And btw, wtf is wrong with Agatha Christie?

Our Host!