Fallout and Interplay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngrySyrian, Jul 15, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. AngrySyrian

AngrySyrian New Member

I'm sure many of you will disagree with me when I say this(I'll probably be banned as well) but hasn't Interplay fucked up Fallout enough already!?Seriously, they pissed off Tim Cain(or was it Tom?) and now they're releasing Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel on consoles! WTF!? If Interplay ends up making BoS on consoles f'n horrible, Fallout's going to have a horrible rep...

"WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!" -Maude Flanders, The Simpsons

2. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

You do know that Tim Cain isn't in Interplay anymore, don't you? I seriously don't see how releasing FBS on consoles would effect him, or anyone who liked Fallout...

Fallout's rep as one of the greatest RPGs ever is pretty much unassailable whatever they do now. At least while DU's still here :roll:

3. AngrySyrian

AngrySyrian New Member

Yeah, I know Tim Cain voluntary quit(right on!)I'm just afraid it's going to tatter Fallout's image to the meat-headed public.

4. gargob

gargob New Member

Didn't they release Baldur's Gate for consoles was that good?

5. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i i know it wasn't traditional baldur's gate, persay

and i know it wasnt neverwinter nights either...

wasnt it an action game? i hope i'm wrong...

6. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

More game companies are going to release games they make in the past or are working on now to viedo games system that where the money is now.

Also it can take between 4 to 6 year to finsh than new computer game now as there are too many hardware combinate to program and test for. While viedo games system have fix hardware which not change(viedo card and sound card) so it easier to program for them, than viedo game can be make in at the most 1 year time.

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Woohoo! Charles is back. Time to get the translator out. :)

I'd really like to know which fictional source you're using for this information. I've NEVER known a game to take more than 3 years to make and that's a worse case scenario using cutting edge technology development (hence it takes so long).

Most games take between 6 months to 18 months to make, depending on how big it is and what sort of game it is. Most console games are out within 9 months of project development.

I've got two brother who are games programmers and I have some insight into how the industry works. If a company takes longer than 3 years to make a game nowadays the chances are they go bust. Hardware changes so quickly now that if a game hasn't been released within 2 years then there is something that has superceded it already.

8. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Well MOO3 took over four year to make. I was quotes that future release are going to take that long. also I notice lately at the local EB that they are given less space to computer games and increaseing video game space.

Than I said the constant hardware change are causeing computer games companies headach in programming these change in. Also people donot have the money to keep up with these change in hardware. MOO3 doesnot
    need than 3 d accelerate card to run.

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Duke Nukem Forever, Ferret, Duke Nukem Forever. Half Life 2. Neverwinter Nights. All of these games have had or currently have games with a development cycle longer than the one you suggested. Admittedly, they are big names (even if the quality of one in the list may be highly dubious), but still, all of these have a development cycle of at least 5 years.

10. xento

xento New Member

Neverwinter Nights did awesome with the graphics and soforth with the D&D engine, but you would think they could have a better story, and bigger maps out of 5 years of development.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

NWN had "awesome" graphics? Shit, you must have though Morrowind was photo realistic then xento. The only positive thing from NWN was that exposed how big the gaming hype machine has grown, without anyone really realising it.

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

NWN did let me down a little bit... but i think i have ridiculously high expectations of bioware... i mean it wasnt as big as baldur's gate 2, but it was meant to be a multiplayer game, may be jarinor and i just havent seen that fully exploited yet

13. xento

xento New Member

I said 'with' the D&D engine, but I meant for the D&D engine.

14. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Fallout and development process

It really sucks that they won't just commit to making a Fallout 3 rpg for the PC. Tactics was an alright strategy / action game, but as a Fallout game it was extremely unsatisfying. I expect even less from that console game in development. I don't know about you but all these new flavors of fallout they keep trying to force feed us are the flavors of the weak. I want an isometric turn based rpg, with character development and NPC interaction. Fallout 3 damn it! No more soggy spin offs! Oh, and development time is dependant on a number of factors. A team like Blizzard, or Black Isle will usually take a little longer to develop a title because they have an established base already. They don't have to pump out game after game just to make money. While an untested development team may be given a much shorter deadline until they can prove that the games they make sell well. Also games designed from sctrach rather than using existing code take a lot longer too. A game based on the Quake 3 engine can be finalized in a few months, while John Carmack has been tweaking the code for the Doom 3 engine for years. Companies get bought and sold, some games get totaly redesigned after months of playtesting, and some developers just have more staff and money than others. You can't really say that it takes months or years to develop a game, because it is different for all games. Some games that were in development for years were obsolete when they were released, some games were planned to take years; and because they are way ahead of their time, (Doom 3 for example) having such a long development process only means that they are that much closer to being freakin perfect when they come out.

15. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

!?

Anybody that thinks the Smashing Punkins are better than The Beatles, or even sex, should lose all rights to have an opinion on anything. Billy Corgan needs to be shot for polluting humanity.

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

thank you for replying to this thread in an off topic manner just to flame me for liking the smashing pumpkins and saying so in my signature

if you hadnt done so i never would have seen the error of my ways and shot myself in the face after burning down billy corgan's home.

i mean what was i thinking? sitting here with the bandages around the back of my head and a huge hole in the roof of my mouth i look back at my fandom as a complete waste of time. i mean all that music? all that existential elemet, i mean, SIAMESE DREAM? MELANCOLLY AND THE INFINITE SADNESS? ADORE? these piece os "art" are obviously far over appreciated and anyone who sings a tribute to his dead mother on the first track of an album has to be a complete and utter sellout bitch. how could i have devoted so much time listening to this un-christian garbage?!?!!!

thank you so much aura emanator (or in this case aura emancipator of SJ's artistic soul) if i thought there was still salvation in my future i would be down at my church asking my priest how i could be a better christian, or if there were any open paths for a siner like me into the priesthood, in order to prevent others from falling pray to this hellspawn.

but alas i know i am too unclean, hopefully he paramedics won't be able to patch me up quite as well this time

(hands over legal rights to SLeek_Jeek's opinions, sticks gun barrel in mouth, logs off of house of lords)

17. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Don't bother logging back on

If you'd read my post right above the one about your misguided signature, you'd see that I was on topic until I noticed the true extent of your lust for crap. Like the Smashing Pumpkins all you want, but the only thing they ever did that made them appear as anything more than a throw away pop art little sister's favorite band was Siamese Dream. And that certainly isn't enough to put one over on The Beatles, or Sex. If you really think they are that great, it only takes a little conservative reasoning to assume that your opinions on other aspects of art, games, and music might be equally irrelevant. As for christianity, organized religion is the scourge of decent people everywhere.

Billy Corgan's mother can get fucked too.

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i have never met a "little sister" that liked the smashing pumpkins, and its funny that you'd say that something as angry as melancoly and the infinite sadness would be favored by one... as for adore, go fuck yourself, it only sold 800,000 copies world wide, thats nothing, how the fuck are they pop? how are they pop?!?!?! tell me i want to know!!! I MUST HAVE MISSED SOMETHING!!!

now please, what conservative thinking might help you to discern my tastes in art and video games, etc? i assume this would be somewhat along the lines of:

what the hell do you listen to anyway?

19. Calis

Calis Member

While I agree that S_J's alt-capsing signature needs to be taken out back, shot, and the remains burned, I'd like to pitch in and say:

1) Nothin' wrong with the Pumpkins, even though I'm not a fan of Corgan's voice. Then again, I also listen to Dream Theater, and there's very few things worse than that guy's voice.

2) I never liked the Beatles. God they bore me. They may have had a great part in shaping pop music today, but that doesn't mean I should run out and go listen to them.

3) Aura Emenator, you're wrong about Fallout 3. Black Isle *are* currently working on that (even though it has yet to be officially announced), although it will feature both TB and RT combat (I shudder when thinking about the balancing issues...). Although I had hoped for Chris Avellone (lead designer of Planescape: Torment) to be involved with the project, he left. However, even though JE Sawyer has only one previous title experience with the lead designer spot, he generally manages to carry a structured train of thought about design issues. I'm certainly willing to give F3 the benefit of the doubt while he's in the lead.

20. Ferret

Ferret New Member

You're right when you say that there are games out there that take longer than 3 years in development. I forgot to include that in my reply, so fair enough on pointing that out. However, you'll notice that the only games that do so are games that receive major hype and attention, and are major sellers and long awaited sequels. In short, you get the odd game that needs super attention spending on it so as not to disappoint the paying public.

In addition, these games are always run concurrently with other games (unless they have serious backing - and I'm talking tens of millions of pounds here) in order to keep income generation going. This is one of the reasons alone why the games take so long in development. They could knock a year or so off development time by focussing completely, but in doing so the company would probably fold because of the enormous costs involved and the lack of other income.

What I don't agree with is Charles' blatent anouncement that ALL games take so long. These games are by far the exception and you get maybe 2 or 3 of that sort of game released worldwide per year, whereas the hundreds of other games released per year all over the world are produced in that one year alone.

Our Host!