Fallout 3 News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skie88, Dec 22, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Heya Guys, specially Jinxed, Ive read this great news at GameBanshee : 3:)

On the Black Isle Studio forums, the fearless leader of the company, Feargus Urquhart, has addressed many current issues that BIS now faces. Especially check out the part at the end, which may be excruciatingly good news:

5) Fallout 3 - You guys don't have to convince us to make it. It is what we want to do. I will hopefully have more to say on this early in the new year - and this is not just to put you all off.

for the complete interview go to (http://gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skie88 on 2001-12-21 18:42 ]</font>

2. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Feargus still has a job? Haven't been following the soap opera at Interplay for awhile but figured the new majority stockholders(Titus) was going to do some major head chopping.

There was a interesting article about Interplay and all their troubles on Freelancer awhile back you might want to read. IMHO Interplay has one foot in grave already and looks like these console games are their last hope. Would you really even buy a Fallout 3 if they made one? And do you think it would even be close to FO1+2? Its pretty obvious after playing Arcanum who was the brains behind Fallout.

3. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

I don't mind if its far from FO1&2 as long as its Fallout, its fine by me(except for tactics though).And from ur post it seems u don't like Arcanum at all, me I like it as it is. And those behind Arcanum are just starting up, so maybe they didn't have as much resource as was working with interplay then, so I believe it will be better than Arcanum, and also I haven't played an Interplay game that is seriously bugged yet, except for maybe Fallout 1. 2 has some but not major ones,I mean I can play and finish the game despite it..

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Homina homina homina!!! GIVE ME FALLOUT 3 BABY!!!

5. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

AAAAAArrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh the rumour just hurts so much - my FO3 hopes keep rollercoasting like an ... er ... fairground ride!

This reminds me of a rumour that kept getting raised on Lysa's old board about the lead singer of Lush having a baby. That rumour went on for YEARS. It was finally proven to be true, but it turns out that the rumour started several years before the baby was born.

Ah well, I suppose this should give me hope for the eventual conception of a lil baby called FO3.

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Actually Fatman, I've been seeing more hints than usual around the web that Fallout 3 is either going to come out in 2002 or begin development in 2002...

7. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Skie88 WTF are talking about? Don't like Arcanum how did you come up with that? Arcanum makes it pretty clear to me that the people at Troika are the ones who made Fallout, well Fallout. Arcanum has the same style and sense of humor, basically everything I liked about Fallout. I just don't see how a Fallout 3 could even be close to the first 2 without the people that made Fallout the game we all loved in the first place.

What I don't like is Interplay. They rushed FO2 out the door when it was still full bugs and then didn't make an honest effort to support it, whats become a reoccurring theme. But now they've screwed over 14 Degrees East. Completely pissed off Bioware by breaching their contract and failing to pay royalties. I believe if I read correctly
    that there will be no further colloboration between the two companies. Come on what kind of a bussiness move is that? Piss off the company that is producing your best selling games, now thats pure genius. Interplay has put themselves in the position they're in now and deserve to suffer for it.

8. Sheriff Fatman

Did anyone else read the project postmortem on FOT from Micro Forte? I read it a while back and found it very enlightening, but can't find a copy of it now that doesn't involve me registering with Gamasutra, which I ain't gonna do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2001-12-22 09:01 ]</font>

9. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

My bad I meant Microforte not 14 Degrees East.

Just read the postmortem on Gamasutra without registering. Follow this link and disable your scripting or just set Security to High if your lazy.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010 ... den_01.htm

That last bit about "we were hoping start on another project right away" was interesting. Sounds like the "memo" I keep reading about. Supposedly Interplay sent Microforte a memo congratualating them on the project and with mention of some new projects. Microforte starts to work and possibly even hired more people and then Interplay calls the memo "premature" and leaves them high and dry.

Still trying to find the article on Freelancer again.

10. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

Feargus has been saying that whole, "We want to make a Fallout 3" thing for years. In fact, he says it several times a year because he's always asked about Fallout 3. Yet, they never bother to make it.

In fact, Fallout 3 has been in production, but put on hold to make Icewind Dale. That pretty clearly states how much BIS under Feargus's leadership really wants to make Fallout 3.

In fact, judging by what Feargus wants to do with Fallout 3, I think it's better off that they don't make it while he's in charge. Considering he's stated numerous times, publically, that he wants to make Fallout 3 a real time combat game similar to Baldur's Gate. It kind of makes you wonder what his mindset is, doesn't it?

I think FOT pretty much established that Fallout's combat skill balance goes straight to shit in a real time style of play.

He's also stated how much depth his knowledge of the workings of the game is lacking, in threads like this:

http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums/sh ... post289649

It's funny how he makes it sound like Fallout's armor system is less complex than BG/IWD/etc. when it's the other way around.

11. Sheriff Fatman

I don't really understand your point about armour, since - from what Feargus says - it does sound like BG has a more complex system (notice I didn't say "a better system").

I have a problem with his attitude regarding the need for power levels of weapons to be more obvious. Surely in today's sophisticated games, we should be moving away from simplistic linear progression for weapons. I like to know that the weapon I am using is effective, sure, but being able to get more benefit from it by using it imaginatively or developing skill combinations is much more satisfying that finding a bigger knife in a locker.

I too wonder at his desire for real-time combat. Turn-based worked fine, and the combat system seemed particularly well balanced. There aren't many CRPG's where combat is still exciting/interesting at the end of the game. By the end of BG, I was heartily sick of combat, and I actually quit BG2 about halfway through because I was so bored of re-enacting the same fight repeatedly.

*zips himself into asbestos suit, having met BG fans before*

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Fallout was built on turn-based combat - there's a tension in turn-based that can't be replicated in real-time.

I think that the BG and FO armour systems are roughly equally complex. Let's face it, if BG armours have thrust, cut and slash defense values, FO isn't going to have them, and BG isn't going to have energy, explosive etc etc values. If anything, FO is probably more complex.

13. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

Sherriff,

Simple, because Fallout's armor had a lot more than just damage resistance. There's Laser resistance, Plasma resistance, Fire resistance, Explosion resistance, and Damage resistance. Each of these had resistance and threshold values in addition to just Armor Class. You're basically talking about ten stat fields as opposed to three with BG.

Also, he flubbed up on the BG damage resistances on their armor. It's slashing, crushing, and piercing. Arrows don't thrust. :wink:

Feargus has said in other references in the past to FO and BG/IWD where he made BG/IWD look better, such as how NPCs are handled in terms of reactions with one another and the player. He was specifically talking about how some NPCs may not like what you're doing and will leave you. Fallout and Fallout 2 had that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saint_Proverbius on 2001-12-23 18:57 ]</font>

Our Host!