Fading Existence

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Ogatai, Mar 12, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Hold's Eyes snapped open. His last moments of his mortality were still freshly carved in the recess' of his mind. He was stumbling though darkness in a fever, his clothes were abandoned to the shadows. All that remained by his side was his trusy longsword. Ol' trusty rusty. He had collapsed on the ground near a spot in which some light was struggling to manifest in the encroaching blackness. There some simple plant life was growing. He vainly attempted to mix the plants to create an antedote to the poison that was already seeping into his last heathy tissue. Paralysis took over and then the dying light fading into total emptyness.

Light poured in from a blinding grey sky. There was no sun but light was engulfing the area. Hold surveyed the area, he was on what appeared to be a beach made of the finest whitest sand he'd ever laid eyes on. The water had no waves it was as if there was no tide at all. He was at the edge of a silver ocean that bobbed and swayed. behind him was a large mountain of brown earth that obstructed his view further. There was silence, barely the gental lapping of the water could be heard. The beach looked as if it streched for miles. Hold look at his hands, They appeared to be transparent. "Am I Dead?" He asked himself. He reached for his trusty longsword only to find that it was lying in front of him embedded in the sand. It to was transparent but it was glowing a blood red colour. He quickly retrieved his blade and placed it back by his side. He noticed a black speck in the distance. A lone figure hunched over, a few miles up the beach. He hurredly set out to approach the black blemish standing amidst the white of the sand. Although light on his feet, his footsteps left no prints.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

(OOC: I hope this is the kind of thing you're after.)

Kalinka hunched slightly as she looked across the strange, silent sea. She could still feel the iron grip pinning her arms to her sides, the cold steel of the blade cutting deep into the flesh of her neck...

She shuddered despite the warmth of her heavy robes, wishing that just this once her memory would blur, fade, anything but retain the razor-blade sharpness that kept her last living moments locked in her mind.

This must be the afterlife, she mused. Not even the Master of White could have saved me after that.

Something made her turn and straighten, looking at the stranger who approached her, leaving no prints in his wake.

3. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Burr found himself lying on the ground, just as he had when he died. But there was a few things missing.
    First of all, the broadsword, wich had been gored quite severely into his chest, was missing. He felt quite relieved when realizing this, because that meant he couldn't be dead. It had all been a bad dream.
    Secondly, all of the orcs he'd torn apart were missing. This was rather a dissapointment, really, as he had enjoyed killing them so much.

He got to his feet and looked around him. Where was he? On a beach. Not in Tarant, and that was for sure. In front of him was a great sea of silver glass. He took no further intrest in it, and scouted about the beach in hope to find someone else.

At last, he spotted two little dark spots in the horizon on the beach. He decided to investigate.

4. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Lidien woke up face down in what seemed like sand. As he tried to get up, there was a short moment when a bone-shattering pain ran through his entire body. The kind of pain you feel when a grizzly bear two times your size slams both his front paws into your back. Lidien collapsed and once again found himself face down in what seemed like sand. After a few moments he got himself up. In front of him he found a large mountain, behind him a silver ocean and to either sides of him... sand. And lots of it. He reckoned he was dead, but was a little dissapointed when he noticed that the great earth mother seemingly had forgotten to place trees in the afterlife.

After a few moments of thought, he decided to walk along the beach. With so many people dying every minute, there had to be someone else here. And though he wasn't a stranger to danger, he wasn't exactly thrilled about climbing that mountain by himself. So he started to walk, not a soul in sight.

[OOC]No need to interact with my character just yet. We don't all have to find one another at the very beginning, do we?[/OOC]

5. Wolfsbane

Burr continued his walk along the shore of this strange place, still focusing on the other two... individuals he was heading towards. He wondered where he was, and grew slightly nervous when looking at the mountain. Such a big place with only three people to inhabit it? It didn't seem very likely to him, having lived in Tarant the most of his life. He was almost certain of that someone, or something, was looking at him from those mountains, and he didn't like the feeling at all.

But then again, maybe he was just imagening the lot of it. I mean, he thought, why would anyone bother about me walking on a beach? And surely I'll be able to kill any stupid creature that'd like to eat me.
    It'd happened before.

Being slightly more confident in himself than before, he was now closing up on the two others, discovering them to be of human size and built.
    He was relieved.

6. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Hold closed in on the lone figure. He kept his hand at the ready next to his trusty longsword. "Greetings," he said in a polite voice, "My name is Hold." The figure appeared to be a short young elven woman although her features gave the impression that she may also be human. She introduced herself as Kalinka. She clutched nervously at her neck as if she was trying to check her pulse. Hold stared out at the Silver sea its gentle swaying brought him comfort. "Are we.... Dead?" he asked Kalinka.

7. Wolfsbane

[OOC] You can remove this when you've read it, Ogatai. I just wanted to tip you of not controlling other characters actions, as you just did. I don't know about the others, but I think that I'd get annoyed if someone controlled my character without even asking me first. Just a thought. [/OOC]

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

(OOC: What Wolfsbane said, but I'll let it pass this once. One's first RPis always the hardest. /OOC)

Kalinka looked up at the human who had introduced himself as Hold, not quite sure if he was serious or not. Surely he... no, he didn't know, did he?

"This is... I believe this is the Ocean of the Dead," she said, her voice unexpectedly soft and husky. She coughed a few times, and realized that even in death the wound that took her life was plaguing her.

"I was told that the souls of the dead come here to find rest..."

But we aren't resting...

9. Wolfsbane

Burr was now no more than a few meters away from the two individuals he headed for, and discovered one of them to be of elven heritage. This disn't mean a lot to him, 'cept the fact that most elves knew magic. He'd have to be careful with this one. No need to get cursed.
    The other person, the human, was facing away from him and didn't seem to've noticed his aproach. He loomed forward and stopped just beside the human.

"Er..." he began, "Where are we? Are you a part of my dream?"

He realized that this wasn't the brightest of questions, but he had nothing else to say, this being what he assumed to be a dream. He shifted foot nervously, and waited for the response to come.

10. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Kaze sat and looked out over the ocean. He knew he must be dead and wasn't in a particular hurry to move on. The water lapped gently against his feet in a quiet peaceful way. He didn't know how long he sat there but it didn't matter, nothing came along to force him to move. Eventually he decided to go and find out what else there was in this after-life. He closed his eyes, turned until he felt right, and set off up the sand.

11. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Hold shrugged. "I wasn't ready to rest yet anyway." He said bluntly. "In fact I feel quite the opposite, its as if theres something holding me back, maybe its just this place but I've got a strange sense of dread washing over me."

Holds sword vibrated in its sheathe. He clutched it briefly. A cold, sad voice entered his mind. "The elf is not to be trusted, she will be your final undoing." He let go of his sword in a quick jolt. He gased around frantically trying to find the source of the voice. He noticed and enormous Ogre standing behind him. He was already in mid sentence however.
    "...part of of my dream?"

Caught off by suprise Hold clutched his blade and drew it forth. All became silent again. "Kill it, kill it now before it kills you!" the voices chanted. Hold hesistated then let his sword fall from his hand landing in a soft thud. He collapsed the blood pounding in his ears. He crawed of to the sea of the dead to wash his face. The water was very cold and soothing and soon hold was himself again. He turned to face the ogre and Kalinka

12. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

He had been walking only a few steps when he saw something lying in the sand, gleaming. A few steps more and he recognised the shiny object as his bow. He picked it up and weighed it in his hands. Without thinking much about it, he fastened it to his back, and continued his search for the others. After walking for a while, he saw a black dot in the distance. As he got closer, the dot seemed to stretch and become taller. Eventually he came close enough to see that it was a man.

13. Wolfsbane

Before Burr realized what just happened in front of him, it was all over and the human was washing his face in front of him. He stared stupidly at both of the individuals next to him, and then again asked:

"What's goin' on?"

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

"Hold?"

Kalinka's voice suggested that she, too, had heard something that nobody else could hear. Her hands were shaking slightly, making the sleeve of her robes shiver as if in a breeze.

"Hold, are you alright?"

15. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

"I'm- I'm fine" Hold stammered.

He turned to face the large Jawed Ogre. "My apologies good Ogre," he announced. "You startled me." Hold thought long and hard about the Ogre question. What was going on? We were dead, weren't we? Whats wrong with my sword?

"We're dead." he said bluntly. "But to agitated to be at peace." Hold looked at his ghostly blade now lying in the sand. Its red light burned fiercly. He picked it up and was once again assailed with a voice. "Hold I am in danger," the voice insisted "We must get away from this place, take the others they can be... useful. But beware the elf girl, she is dangerous." Hold sheathed in his blade. His eyes gazed at the sky, it was starting to darken. "I think we should get out of here." he said. "I don't think we're safe."

16. Wolfsbane

Burrs eyes widened when hearing that he was actually dead after all. Damn, he'd really looked forward to live a little longer. Who knows what he could've done, who he could've killed, and in what ways...
    Damn.

"No offence taken, humie. Yer can call me Burr, by the way. That's me name, after all. But what's that thing about us not being safe 'ere, eh? I can chase off most buggers, I can. No need to feel scared, humie."

But Burr was scared, too. He knew now that he'd been right when feeling looked at. There was something here, and it probably knew more about them than they knew about it.

"But mebbe yer right. Let's get movin', me says."

17. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Lidien walked up to the man, who looked like a middle-aged ruffian.
    "Oy!", he exclaimed. "Well, whaddya know. Another dead guy. And an elf, at that."
    Lidien said nothing.
    "Riiight... I see you've got a bow there."
    "I see you have a quiver full of arrows", Lidien responded.
    "Aye, found 'em here lying on the beach, I did. I don't really know what to do with 'em..."
    Lidien said nothing. The ruffian scratched the back of his head, shifting his weight uneasily.
    "I guess... You can take 'em. Seeing how you got the bow and all."
    "Yes", Lidien said, and the ruffian handed over the quiver. Lidien fastened it to his back.
    "Uhm", the ruffian hesitated, "You wouldn't mind me tagging along with you, would ya? I mean... I don't know why I'm not resting by now, but I'd rather be not resting along with someone than not resting alone. Eheh..."
    Lidien nodded and continued walking, the ruffian following close behind.

18. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Kaze did not know how long he had been walking. It didn't really matter either - the sand continued unbroken, mile after mile as did the ocean. The shore did not curve or rise or fall. He continued on, begining to wonder if he would ever find something or if this was all there was to the afterlife.

Abruptly he stopped. there was a little spot of blue in front of him on the sand, a spot of blue which seemed unaffected by the slowly flowing water around it, a deeper blue which seemed quite out of place. Frowning in surprise, he walked over to it and picked it up. It was a perfectly round saphire, flawless, about as big as eye. It felt surprisingly hot in his hand as nothing else there did. Kaze stood thinking for a moment when the sound of people talking came to him though the air.

He looked up and saw several indistinct figures far off. He had seen no other mirages as he had walked, so, he reasoned, these must be real. Slipping the gem into his belt pouch, he set off toward them.

19. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

Black, black, black ... LIGHT! Vihurad tried to shield his eyes, stricken with pain at the bright sight. Falling he clawed at the ground with his eyes closed, this was not the wood, he clawed and felt clay. Unsure of what happened, he tried to recall where he was or what he had been doing to no avail. Slowly opening his eyes he found the clay like earth beneath him to be part of a brown slope, far beneath him a painfully bright beach. Calming himself, he found he still wore his thin black cloak but was enraged that he could not find the Vine that had accompanied him for so many years. Collecting his thoughts he noticed some movement on the bright beach below

Those must be the fools who have sent me here...

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Kalinka manages a nervous smile up at the half-ogre, even though he towers over her even more than the tallest of the Tullan mages.

"N-nice to meet you, Burr... My name is Kalinka..."

She moves to brush sand from her robes, only to realize that there IS no sand. She sighs and sort of slumps into their heavy embrace, the only thing that really feels real to her right now.

Who killed me, I wonder? Did they find out what I was looking for, or did they simply take my life for the pleasure of it? Damn, I was so close, so close...

Our Host!