everything looks blurred

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by SoWeMeetAgain, Oct 16, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. SoWeMeetAgain

SoWeMeetAgain New Member

https://imgur.com/VtuJAB4
    [​IMG]
    As you can see everything is really, really blurry. It's like a constant photoshop-blur-filter on everything. Around the mouse cursor it's a tiny bit better but fades into blur fast once it stops moving.
    And no, this is not doctored with, it really, truly looks like this in game.
    Unplayable, can't read anything, can't look at items stats etc pp.

When using only -no3d but not -doublebuffer then the game looks crisp (well, for what it is :) ) but it runs superslow (as in going down to 4-5 fps when scrolling and running at the same time) and there are some graphical glitches as well. Unplayable.

I am using windows7 64b, tried all compatibility modes, am using -no3d and -doublebuffer, tried all combinations of those as well.
    Tried -window, tried 640x480, tried everything else in the sticky.

CPU intel i5-2500K
    video card AMD Radeon HD 7800
    4GB Ram

I did look around for quite a bit but did not find any other helpful thing so far :( anyone, anything?

cheers

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Have you tried *not* slamming a pint of vodka before you fire up Arcanum?

HRM?

All joking aside, I've got nothing. Never seen anything like this before on these forums. My guess is it's a weird driver issue related to your graphics card, but that is simply an uneducated guess. Is this the GOG version or your own install?

3. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    A few stupid questions:
    Are you running any high res modes in Arcanum?
    Are you running a non-standard color mode or refresh?
    Are your video drivers up to date?
    Have you tried running it as Admin?

4. SoWeMeetAgain

SoWeMeetAgain New Member

Hello guys, thx for the answers so far

Am running it as admin.

I am using the UAP, high res townmaps and high-res(custom resolution) thingy. It is a GOG install.

What's a non-standard color mode or refresh? :oops: not as far as I know

Video drivers are not up to date... I have a very, very weird issue with the card. If I install any driver newer than x it stops working. So far I've just played all games with old drivers and it works. Yeh not ideal...
    Will try once again if I find a newer driver that works :/

Going off the assumption that I just will not be able to use -doublebuffer because it seems to cause this weird blur-effect, this is how it looks with just -no3d:
    https://imgur.com/6qngv8M
    [​IMG]
    but it has some dynamic graphics glitches I wasn't able to capture in a screenshot and runs horribly bad

and this is how it looks without any command line arguments:
    https://imgur.com/OLsLPN3
    [​IMG]
    strangely, only the speech text is blurred here - but it runs horribly bad anyways

with both those modes (without doublebuffer) it lags in aggravating fashion from time to time (eg every time when running in town). Is there any way to fix that besides doublebuffer?

Also, could be finally time to take care of that video card problem, eh? Strange that of all the games Arcanum is the one that gets me to do it ...
    And probably my setup is highly stupid as well - I have the "good" graphics card for one monitor and the onboard graphic for another, that might also be a problem I presume? anyone ideas?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  5. SoWeMeetAgain

SoWeMeetAgain New Member

Did try the newest graphics card drivers, and was able to start Arcanum with -no3d -doublebuffer (as in the first pic) before it crapped out and I had to reset everything - but same problem, everything blurred. So I reverted to the working driver.

I did try to run solely on the onboard graphics now, disabled the apparently faulty graphics card aaaaaaaaand
    success

Sorry for wasting your time guys, but I humbly thank you for the help you gave and in the end it truly was the video card driver suggestion that solved it

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

7. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Our Host!