England, sadly.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Aug 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115 ... t-families

2. Charonte

Charonte Member

Terribly glad this sadly thing as caught on, finally. This also reminds me of the debate up in central Australia to organise something for the aboriginal families up that way suffering from drug and alcohol related problems. All in all, it may give them an excuse to try and stop but it wont stop the reasons some people go that way. Talk about class isolation, too.

3. Dark Elf

Media:
    Personally I am concerned about the intrusiveness into people's private lives the British government keeps expanding. Drug-related problems need to be dealt with, but 1984-style monitoring of people's private homes does not feel justified.

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

What did you expect? This is the country with no constitution.

5. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

It sure beats throwing the parents in jail or stripping them of parental rights. It's probably cheaper too.

It all depends on the execution, if the families will get support and non-intrusive advice on dealing with their problems then this may turn out well. If this ends being a constant storm of threats and pressure on each family member then these poor lads will indeed experience hell on earth.

Either way, this is bound to reduce the crime rate one way or another and may spread to other countries, or be used as justification for stricter monitoring of the population.

Unless the families monitored end up wrecking or stealing all the CCTV equipment and only make the problem worse.

Also it's hard to imagine kids growing up to be 'normal' after being monitored 24/7 like that, having police burst in whenever daddy hit mommy or yelled at somebody. Not like they had much of a chance in the first place, but this step ensures it.

6. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I almost misunderstood CCTV as the Chinese National Tevevision.

Creepy.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    During the brief six weeks I spent in Leeds in the year of our Lord 2005, I chose as my assignment to write a paper on CCTV. The concept of urban camera surveillance was something of a novelty to a village lad from the wastelands of northern Sweden. The whole place was positively littered with cameras. Could hardly take a dump without being watched by a cadre of security officers.

In retrospect, if I had had the political awareness I have today, I could have done so much more of it. Oh well.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Oh great, so Big Brother is finally coming, eh? Hope I'll die before he finds me.
    Those families are already doomed. I really doubt this will will help save the health of the children's minds so they can create valuable families in the future in any way better than other methods, being all in all a step in the wrong direction when talking about respecting human privacy and dignity.

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ooooooh, 1984 flashbacks. Those poor kids are really screwed now.

10. Charonte

Charonte Member

Just not like Winston and Julia. Especially not in the movie, dear god that scene was disturbing.

11. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

People give America a lot of shit for it's social/government policies, but it seems to me that every time I read about whatever the hell England is up to I feel like I'm just one more step closer to reading about Norsefire cropping up.

12. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I twist your words and think; if only that were true.

Perhaps if the government spent less time watching Shameless with their maws agape, and more time chortling to the narrative development of dystopian novels, a more apt solution could be found. My own, personal solution is to follow in the footsteps of pathetic sellout authors, before fucking off somewhere else. After all, it'll be England, sadly, until the bombs fall.

13. mathboy

mathboy New Member

What's wrong with it? Are you hiding something?

14. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

16. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the only reason you actually bother hanging around anymore is because you get a kick out of getting pissed off at everything.

17. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

And you stupid noobs keep coming up with fresh and new reasons to get pissed off. Like a post consisting of a quote containing two words and a single custom smiley, because the standard smileys don't look retarded enough for you.

EDIT: Also, a sig image that causes my system to lag when it scrolls on screen.

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

*gives Yuki a looooooooooong look* It seriously took you that long to realise that's why we're here?

And yes, your sig picture causes slowness on my part too. WTF?

19. Charonte

Charonte Member

It's steam, everything is slower with Steam. Although it seems fine for me

20. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

I shall respond back in your native langauge.

:) :( :D :) :) :D :-( 8) :-x !

Now I feel all dirty.

Our Host!