Ellen Feiss

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tzehoong, Sep 26, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

Ellen Feiss' (unreleased) 30-second TV ad.

What do you think? I think the ad is cool, but still don't get why she's so popular. It's crazy and incomprehensible sometimes how internet fads start. I mean, the ad wasn't even shown on TV, and she already has a fan site, wallpapers, mugs, desktop icons, etc etc.

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

The Official Ellen Feiss Webpage: REAL ULTIMATE POWER
    Ellen Feiss can kill anyone she wants! Ellen cuts off heads ALL the time and doesn't even think twice about it. She is so crazy and awesome that she flips out ALL the time. I heard that she was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon Ellen Feiss killed the whole town. My friend Mark said that he saw Ellen totally uppercut some kid just because the kid was using a PC.

[​IMG]
    i want 2 see sum sex wiht sum sheep an ellen a0l pr0n lol!!11!!1!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/ ... 64122.html
    [​IMG]
    Yeah man, give me an apple d00d.

Who is Ellen Feiss, and is she stoned? That's the question fascinating Internet surfers as they flock to view the latest celebrity site on the Web, a 30-second movie about a crumpled American student and the computer that ate her project paper.

Overnight, Ellen, a Californian teenager, has become an international cult figure, and her fame is spreading. A search on her name yesterday turned up 2950 references.

Ellen's movie is part of a TV and Internet campaign launched by Apple Computer showing dozens of real people who had bad experiences with their PCs and who switched to a Macintosh.

But it's Ellen's manner, not her computer choice, that has sparked the interest. Her speech is part-mumble, her hair hangs in her eyes, which are red. She says her PC "went beep, beep, beep" and crashed, destroying her paper. "I had to do it again. It wasn't as good. That was... a bummer."

Dozens of Ellen Feiss fan clubs have appeared, based mostly in US universities, but also in Germany and in the Netherlands, all without Ellen's cooperation or permission. Several are peddling Ellen Feiss souvenirs for profit - frisbees, wall clocks, coffee mugs and sweatshirts just like the one Ellen wears in the movie that has made her famous.

On weblogs and chat sites people allege gleefully that Ellen's "red eyes and tired look" suggest she has either been up for days or is suffering from some "weed-related" hangover. They remark on her clothes and ask who she is and where can she be found. Apple isn't saying and Ellen has gone to ground. All we are told is that despite her blurred speech and appearance, Ellen does not do drugs. That's just the way she is all the time.

The Feiss phenomenon has been studied by mainstream media such as The New York Times, the Los Angles Times and Wired magazine. The New York Times called her an engaging teenager who looked "slackerly", with half-closed eyes, slow speech and rumpled grey sweatshirt. Wired talks of "besotted devotees who think she deserves a higher profile in American pop culture. Ellen is not yet as famous as Mahir Cagri, but her fan base is growing." Mahir, a young Turk, gained international notoriety a year ago when his website featured pictures of himself in very tight red bathing trunks over an invitation to any women "who is want to come Turkey I can invitate - she can stay my home".

Once we would have said about such instant, widespread notoriety, "only in America", but now it's the Internet and the whole world. Such is the power of the information age.

3 out of 5
    okay so ellen is hot, but this is stupid. i must say that i have used both pc's and macs. i like pcs okay. so obviously this girl doesn't know how to work a computer. because that has never happened to me. i guess that means that you have to spend an extra $2000 dollars or so to get a quality machine? ah no you don't. you see apple has made a bold statement with this ad; it is obvious to see that ellen is attractive.... but she might not be all there. i think it may be the same with the mac - it's a pretty machine, and that's what you pay for.

5 out of 5
    Yup, the MS youth generation is going to pot. I tore up some of my best and totally original home work papers when I was stoned in the 70's! If Ellen was going for a character study here, she nailed it! Oh, Ellen did inhale, definitely! Just for the character that is, wink, wink.

1 out of 5
    Then you're obviously a moron whith little to no common sense. You should also be kept away from anything with buttons, levers, lights, switches, or dials due to your immense ineptitude with electronics. Apple's commercials are laughable, and not in a good way. As someone who has used every Microsoft operating system ever invented, it's glaringly obvious that these Apple spokespeople haven't a clue in the world how to run a PC...or a toaster.

3. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

I give her a .5 for wardrobe a 2.7 for content and a ten for really looking stoned instead of just stereotyping a 'stoner' like steve from the dell ads

Seriously why is she so popular? because somebody said hey guys look the new hot thing and well hey people are sheep!

OH except for DU he's a troika cow (sorry bout that DU)

4. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

DU, the "Official" Ellen Feiss site is not official at all. It's some sicko who's probably getting a kick out of unsuspecting people giving him page hits.

For the record I think Apple stated that Feiss does not take drugs :wink:.

5. DarkUnderlord

Not official? Have you checked out the site?
    The Official Ellen Feiss Webpage: REAL ULTIMATE POWER

Facts:
    1. Ellens are mammals.

2. Ellen smokes ALL the time.

3. The purpose of Ellen Feiss is to flip out and kill people.

Weapons and gear:
    [​IMG]
    Bong

[​IMG]
    Titanium PowerBook

Dude - stop trying to picture me naked and pack the fucking bong!
    Heady nugs
    Obviously thinking about Ellen a wee bit much

The REAL Ellen Movie

http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/370.html

In the search for Ellen, I found this: http://www.jeffwilhelm.com/files/ellen1.mov

6. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

I have never see or heard of this kid b4 but her acting was like SO Funny and she looked like SO stoned that I have to love her :thumbup:

7. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

Well, DU, either you have a weird sense of humour or you just don;'t read carefully enough. :wink:

I think that Apple's campaign is good. DU you seem to have a big problem with people who don't like the things you like, and think the way you think. Apple's advertising (at least to me) is targeted at casual home users who want reliable, easy-to-learn computers. Have you ever used a Mac? I have, and (at the time) I found it to be stable and user-friendly. Blue-screens were non-existent. Although Windows XP has since been released and has fixed many instability problems, the majority of computer users still use Windows 98, which compared to OS 8/9/X, is as stable as Chernobyl.

If you watched all the ads on Apple's site you'll find that the thrust of their campaign is that casual users don't like having to constantly download drivers or worry about compatibility and other technical things when all they want to do is to sit down and enjoy themselves. (Or lose their homework to a computer freeze :wink:). In this sense the Mac is, I feel, still superior to the PC.

8. Settler

Settler Member

Got to use that :D .
    Which I'm guessing doesn't apply to the majority of this forum - I assume all of you stare at your screen for 12+ hours a day, occasionally stopping for food and sleep... :hidepc:

Yeah, if you hadn't noticed, I hate Macs, and generally dislike Mac users.

And I can spot a Mac user by what they look like...

9. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Whoa! This thread has gone shonky.

Hands up, who fucked with the wrapping?

10. xento

xento New Member

Fatman, what was that last post about?

11. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Whoa....................Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees a blank post on the two above mine, Sheriff's and nbrosz.....I mean, there isn't even a border around there post, their avatar is just hanging in mid-air, where it should be, then nothing.....

WTF?

Nevermind, I can see it in the reply screen.....

12. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

Somehow the indent got screwed up on Sherrif's post. I wonder how that happened.

13. gamenut

gamenut New Member

More like it got screwed on all our posts... Who the fuck is whoever the fuck you guys are talking about?

14. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

DU might I reccomend something better to do with your time, beer.
    24 in a case, 24 hours in a day....coincidence, I think not.

15. DarkUnderlord

What I believe we have here people, is what's known as a "Quote Function Error". The good Sheriff and I experienced these same difficulties with our last "quote" debate "unquote".

I believe the problem lies in Settler's post, with the quote of The Comic Book Guy. So, Settler, if you could fix up the quote in your post, all should be well.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

All nuclear reactors are as stable as Chernobyl - it was human error that caused the accident.

I didn't watch the Ellen Feiss video, but I could not care less about her - wow, tired bitch mumbling about PC's (which ALL computers are, Macs or not) and Mac's and her paper or something like that, from what I can gather from other people.

People are fucking idiots, like mrnobodie used to say, and this is just further proof.

If you want stability, go Linux. At least you can run multiple OS's on a Linux box, and you don't have to buy a completely new computer when you upgrade, unlike Macs which are about as upgradeable as Compaq's - toss it out and buy a new computer for twice the price and minimal increase in performance.

17. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I think Settler's dodgy quote tag might be messing with the whole thread's formatting.

Here's my original text:

Mac's are fair enough, I suppose, but a home user who finds Windows on a PC too technical, should just give up computing. Seriously, if all you ever did was follow the wizardly instructions, and didn't care too much if you couldn't play some games, you'd never see a bluescreen. People who talk about constant bluescreens are living in the past or have bad habits of use. I almost never see with Windows 2000, anyway.

Also, the myth of Mac stability was slightly tarnished for me the last time I used one (coupla weeks back) - it locked up and I couldn't get it to even respond to the power switch. A Mac user came over, looking confident, and proceeded to spend several minutes of finger-bending embarassment trying to make something happen. I'll admit, it eventually shut down, but it wasn't pretty.

It seems to me, Macs only have one market these days, which is multimedia professionals who don't mind the mild struggle to exchange files with most of the rest of the computer using world.

Not that you would believe that to be the case from TV and films. Since they're all made by Mac-loving multimedia professionals, they almost always show Macs when there is a computer in a scene. Sometimes, I think I even detect faint concern in the eyes of the actors in those scenes, as if they're looking at the Mac and thinking "fuck, I hope I don't have t look too convincing on this thing."

18. Settler

Settler Member

Sorry all, got it now. It's something to do with putting quotation marks inside the "***NAME***" section of the quote.

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I've never had a problem with that quote function - if you don't try and put in names each time, it never fails. Or always works. Take your pick :).

20. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

Sorry I took so long to reply (the topic was really low down on the page)

Undoubtedly so; but then again, Apple's adverts are geared towards casual users, as I said before. I can't picture my Dad using Linux. He has enough trouble switching off the computer :wink: (I remember him clicking on the monitor power button repeatedly and asking me why the machine wouldn't shut down, heh).

I can't concede that. My computer back home runs on Windows 98, and pops up with blue screens for no apparent reason. Freeze-ups are even more common. While the problem has been addressed in XP (I haven't tried 2000), if I recall correctly the majority of people still use Win98.

I think that the simplest reason why you find this happening is that Macs are a designer's dream come true. The first generation iMacs and iBooks looked good enough; the current flat-screen iMac is plain fabulous. Don't you think so? I make detours to the Apple outlet whenever I go to the mall just to gape at it.

I do like my PC, but if there were as many games and applications available for the Mac, and PCs were 100% compatible, and if I had the cash, I would seriously consider the Switch.

Our Host!