Dwarven women

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Frigo, Jun 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Can't blame them, really. Who wouldn't be.

[​IMG]

2. shambelle

shambelle New Member

Just to add something concerning the races meant to be played as male and female:

The first story driven no female race seems to be Half-Ogre as seen in the game.
    The second one, well, the Dwarves have a better justification than the minute races but I'm not too sure.

3. NotDedYet

NotDedYet New Member

As I recall gnomish women and halfling women were not added in due to time constraints. I don't have a quote on it but there wasn't any in game, or manual, mention of them being restricted from travel. Gnomish and halfling women are both spirited and would not stand for it.

If you read the manual it says that gnome women were able to attain head of their family, so I'd imagine they'd have no problem venturing out into society on their own merit. Halfling women's temperment was fairly grounded and stable compared to the men's and simply did not have that wanderlust affliction.

It wasn't because they couldn't travel and I am sure there is cases where they would be prevented to on an individual basis. Half ogres, and dwarves were both heavily alluded to as story driven reasons.

Still would have been fun to be a half-ogre female. Shame that half orc sprites were far too similar to human sprites to put you in the mood of barbarian romps through the hinterlands.

Sure you could don that cooky dread armor but it's just not the same as donning a pleasant frock with a face only a mother could love and a haircut to match.

I don't know what it is about tusks and floppy upper lips that are so glamorous....

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

The posts by the World's Worst Spambot has been deleted, along with all posts relating to it. Oh, and if you're reading this? Your post had best have to do with Dwarven Women. The next person to dig this thread up for lols gets their god damn account deleted.

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

6. feliciano2040

feliciano2040 New Member

I always thought the real reason they "hid" their women was because they had none, given how dwarves are hermaphrodites.

At least, that's my theory !

7. Borderhat

Borderhat New Member

Where did you get that from?

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Muro said so, who are we to question it?

Wait, I should have written that from a puppet account or something.

9. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

10. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

This is a fantasy world after all! Why shouldn't they just pop up from the depths - from some special places? :D
    The dwarves are too honorable in their speech to be homosexual beings or hermaphrodites.
    I would rather say they are too ashamed of their own women to display them outside, so that no one could question them "How can you live and have intercourse with them?".
    But the theory I like much more, is the occassional belief of the Tolkienish dwarves - that "they just pop up from the ground".
    According to Tolkien's work Silmarillion, the dwarfs were created by one of the Valar, by Aule, the one that has the power over the ground and hard stone material. He created them in secret, not telling anyone about that, and thus his wife, Yavanna, prophesied that because he kept them secret even from his own wife, they would harm the nature and the things that were in her power (dwarfs will use their axes and mechanisms to cut the trees etc.). Aule regretted this act of self-will and asked Illuvatar whether it is His will to destroy his creation, the dwarves. But as he was lifting the hammer to do so, the dwarves escaped from it, having obtained grace from Illuvatar, having their own free will.

If the dwarves are created from the earth and hard stony ground, they could be classified as no other races - asexual supernatural beings, living in celibacy, with no need of reproduction, provided that creation of their new numbers is somewhere set in motion again and again.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

12. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Perhaps he was just suggesting the dwarves are homophobic.

13. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Perhaps he's homophobic.
    There are creation myths regarding humans that say the humans were created from clay, or mud or trees, and became flesh, along with having been given free will. None of these myths say humans are asexual beings, and one look at the biologically given equipment on a human would tell you that humans are indeed sexual. The problem with your theory is that the dwarves in Tolkien's series acknowledge that there are indeed dwarven women that noone but the dwarves have seen. Unless it was a hidden plot device that all dwarves are lying to hide the fact that they're asexual, I don't believe it. And, if the dwarves are as proud as they seem, wouldn't they lord it over the other races that they didn't have to have sex to make babies? Also, you're neglecting to mention Dis, daughter of King Thrain the second, sister of Thorin and Frerin, mother of Fili and Kili. She was mentioned in the books. As I said before, dwarven women take up about a third of the total dwarven population, though less than a third of the males ever marry, because there's still a population of both men and women who don't want to marry or can't find a mate they want. And, the women are so similar in appearance to men, that when the women travel abroad, they're mistaken for dwarven men.

14. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

If only a third of dwarven men marry, perhaps they are homosexual.

15. Grossenschwamm

I'm not in any way discounting that. However, Tolkien says they don't marry because they're that into their crafts...which could be code for gay. I dunno, does a craft sound like something you'd do to a butt? Who am I kidding, of course it does.

16. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Have you noticed that dwarves in most fantasy works do have Scottish accent? Based on this fact, I believe most of the fantasy world creators intended to make the dwarves an allusion on Scottish people. Scotsmen also used to have beards, long hair and coarse voice.
    What about their women? Are or were Scotwomen ever bearded? So the dwarven females aren't neccessary likely to have beards.
    However, in need of travel, as someone pointed out in the forum, they would use it to avoid molestation.

17. Grossenschwamm

Tolkien actually said his dwarves were based on the Jews.

18. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Interesting...
    I would say even the dwarves in Arcanum have Jewish features - Long black beards and hair and traditions they would rather die than break.
    Nice example is Magnus when you ask him about his name and the dwarven traditions you are violating when asking.
    And all the reasoning that dwarven race is ancient and something not to be thrown out like rubbish (that was actually concerning the name). :)
    Magnus would be a good rabbi, imho :D

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Magnus isn't a good example of anything dwarven. He acts the way he acts not because he's a dwarf but because he read that as a dwarf he should act that way in a book written by a non-dwarf who didn't know jack.

Our Host!