Dwarf women

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Alessandro_Monti, Nov 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I've really enjoyed Universe so far, I never got into Battlestar (it was a half-hour show stretched out over an hour, in my opinion, kind of like a six-parter on Doctor Who that would have been better as a four-parter) so I don't have to worry about the comparisons. I loved the decision Young came to at the end of the latest episode I saw, Telford is in the shit now.

And I am such a Doctor Rush fan.

2. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Battlestar was an ongoing plot show, the kind you buy in DVD and watch in 6 hour bursts every week. Since every episode picks up on the episode directly before it, the length of the episode is a complete variable choice. If anything, that would have been too short. Remember Dragonball Z? Holy shit, my young self didn't have the patience to wait 24 hours between each plot point.

I don't think SGU is a rip-off of BSG, though. I barely even saw any similarities, though I only watched the pilot and the second episode, so maybe they will try to migrate the entire human race to another planet to escape the Goa'Uld at some point. Actually, it reminded me more of Voyager. The course of the franchise reminds me of Star Trek (the TNG era), in fact. Let's compare the two franchises

Stargate: A team of explorers explores a variety of new worlds and strange places, while fighting an alien race. Over time, the team is forced to handle political situations more and more.

Star Trek: The Next Generation: A shipload of explorers explores a variety of new worlds and strange places, while fighting various hostile alien races. Over time, the team is forced to handle political situations more and more.

Stargate: Atlantis: The Stargate team is brought to a Stargate Base, a staging point for more Stargate research. An sinister alien race, the Wraiths, arrive and the two have constant conflict. At one point, the Wraith offer an alliance with the humans, but they end up backstabbing them in the end. Later, a new enemy overshadows the Wraiths as antagonists. A cast member from the last series joins the primary cast halfway through.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: This Star Trek takes place on a Starbase, a staging point for trade and Starfleet activities. An alien race, the Cardassians, arrive and the two have constant conflict. At one point, the Cardassians offer an alliance with the humans, but by the end of the series they end up backstabbing Starfleet. A new enemy overshadows the Cardassians as antagonists. A cast member from the last series joins the primary cast halfway through.

Stargate Universe: A Stargate crew is teleported to a distant part of space, and must embark on a journey home.

Star Trek: Voyager: A Starfleet crew is teleported to a distant part of space, and must embark on a journey home.

Not saying it's the same. Just, you know. Eerily similar.

I think SGU is okay, but unless it's getting better from the first two (technically four) episodes, it needs some improvement before we can hold it up as a sci-fi TV classic. We get it, guys, you got Robert Carlyle to be on your show. You have several other characters you need to be fleshing out, too, to maintain your show's 'character building' motif. Rush is a decent character from a great actor, yes, but he's not suited to being the protagonist of the show. He's not likable beyond endearing cynicism and carelessness. If I were going to compare this to BSG, it would be like if Baltar got 45 minutes of air time in every episode.

3. Charonte

Charonte Member

Err, the other characters are fleshed out to a degree, the pilot episode (as usual) puts more emphasis on the protagonist to establish a baseline and who they would be following mostly.

To be honest, I actually like Rush as a character. Arrogant and pretentious, sure, but hardly careless. Later episodes show that better than the first three.

Stargate/Startrek are similar in the same way high fantasy stories are - i.e, they're mostly about something bad happening, or about to happen due to some "evil" warlord or whichever. It's not really IP infringement, more just having a limited scope to work with.

And what're you saying, Baltar didn't get 45 minutes of air time per episode? :p

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Trust me, the series only gets better after they get the air going again. Things get very tense, and

at the moment the tensions between leaders on the ship and their superiors on Earth are very interesting indeed, especially because Telford keeps screwing things up and trying to destroy people's faith in Young's leadership. I am thoroughly convinced that the man is a manipulative prick.

And actually, I'm more inclined to say that Eli is the main character of the series, not Rush. Eli is kind of like an everyman for the audience, someone the fans can relate to and feel similarly to in the face of the situations the characters are facing.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Who is Eli again? The fat nerd who records people's stories?

6. Alessandro_Monti

Alessandro_Monti New Member

:)
    It's so interesting to launch a pill/keyword in this place and watch it effervesce (+ing somewhere in there?).

In case anyone reacts to this, then he must know that I mean it in a good way!

PS: Yes, that one's Eli.

7. Kirov

Kirov New Member

Lol, Asexual Reproduction.

8. Kirov

Kirov New Member

Personally when I play as a Dwarf I prefer to think that the women are hidden, and don't have facial hair. And that to get married one must become acomplished. And im pretty sure that beating Kerrigan is quite an acomplishment. So Dwarven happy ending is, Kill Kerrigan, Save world, Get married.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

AAARGH!!

[​IMG]

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

11. Kirov

Kirov New Member

12. bmaggot

bmaggot New Member

dwarf women has no sprites?
    so they are invisible maybe

13. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Woah, a 3 month gravedig, and with a useless post as well. Good job.

14. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

You know it's bad when GarmGarf is correcting you...

EDIT: Wait, that's Victor. DAMMIT! Stop using the same avatars.

15. Kirov

Kirov New Member

Lol, I knew it was a gravedig whenever I recieved an Email, I havent posted in forever because my step dad deleted arcanum, and I dont have my own computer yet.

Anyway, shame on you Mr. bmmaggot.

Lol Maggot is fairly acurate, when is he going to be banned???

16. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

If maggot keeps on doing this kind of stupid gravedigging, there is high chance that he is getting a one-way ticket to the void. The thing is that the admistrator and the mods have the last word in this sort of situation. Therefore, I think the best way is to let them decide what to do with this. Let us hope that maggot learns from his mistakes.

17. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yup, death by banhammer will be administered if this keeps up.

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I want to joke about this thread having gone to hell a long time ago, but it's about Dwarf Women, so it is to be expected.

19. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  20. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

I'm not sure whether I am aroused, freaked out, or amused. Perhaps all three at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!