Dragonlance Series

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Menkhur, Sep 18, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

A long time ago I read "The Chronicles of the Dragonlace" which happened to be the first series of novels to be written for TSR.

After many pre-quels, post-quels, mid-quels, side-quels, and nonsense-quels, the original authors produced a new trilogy.

Before it was the "War of the Lance".
    Then came the "Chaos War".
    Now comes the "War of the Souls".

I'm tempted to read them, but I would like to know a couple of opinions before getting to that project.

Has anyone read the new, last series by Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman?

Any opinions?

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I have read the first in the War of Souls (Dragons of a Fallen Sun). I have had trouble getting the second book. Sometimes fantasy/sci fi is like that - it's not always widely published in the UK.

I thought it was pretty good. The setting has a little too much history, in some ways and has lost a little of the edge conferred by mystery, but the new series manages to change things around enough to put some new mystery in there.

It must be tough to write another sequel when so much has gone before, particularly when characters are so loved. In a way, you'd think it is an impossible position; keep the old characters in and you risk people not liking where you take them, leave them out and people may miss them. The book gets around that quite nicely by using the second generation characters, who are actually very distinct from their older relatives.

The old guys still put in a few appearances, but most of them are cameos (guess the exception!)

I would think if you loved Chronicles and Tales, as I did and did not have trouble with the Second Generation or Dragons of Summer Flame, you'll probably enjoy the new series.

3. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

I first discovered the Dragonlance series at the tender age of 12 and devoured the first two trilogies. After that I continued to buy out of loyalty, but honestly, after Tracy died it all went downhill. The original characters fit like an old glove right after the first chapter. I can't say the same for the rest. Wait, I take that back, Margaret did another couple of novels about the brothers Majere. Soulforge and Brothers In Arms. I'm still waiting for the third one to surface at one of my bookstores. These two books managed to capture some of the flair of the first trilogy. Oh wait, also the Elven Nations Trilogy by Douglas Niles is worth a look at.

4. Milo

Milo New Member

Tracy Hickman died? Oh man, that sucks.

Like Darkwalker, I read the first two trilogies when I was younger and loved them. I sort of kept up on the thousands of fanfics written afterward, but I lost interest. It's not that they weren't good; They just weren't the same. The characters weren't as alive as they were in the original books.

5. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Uh, when did Tracey Hickman die? It does not say that in the last book they made, which happened to be "Dragons of a vanished moon," 3rd volume of war of the souls. I do not think that he died, unless it was yesterday!

Anyways, I loved War of the Souls, I've read all three of them! They interested me a lot more then the chronlicals, once I finished the book I was like "Damn, why can't it just keep going." That is how good they were, it was very interesting who the "ONE GOD" is and stuff, I will not spoil it or anything, but the books do get a lot interesting. There are a lot of sad parts in it as well. I have read not very much books, but I understand a lot of the dragon lance stuff, the books I think came out before I was even born! Anyways, I've read the first book like 4 years ago and throughout all these years I've read all three of the chronicals, Dragons of summer flame, Legend of Huma, and War of the souls. I'm reading Stormblade right now and once I can find my first book of the legends I will read those, I have all threee of the legends books but I lost the first once before I was done reading the last of the chronicals.

*SPOILER*

The problem is that too many of the War of the Lance heros die, I mean, all of em!

6. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Well, according to Tracy Hickman's own website (www.trhickman.com), he was born in 1955, and is quite happily still alive... in Utah, with his children (it doesn't say much about his wife (wives?), but as he's an active Mormon, that's not surprising...)

I'm sure that news of his death will come as a great shock to him, but doubtlessly, he'll be relieved to know he doesn't have to finish work on his current project!

7. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

My apologies to all, I could have sworn that I read something by Weis that mentioned Hickman's death. Oh well, no harm done.

8. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Maybe you DID read something by Weis that mentions Hickman's death. All that co-authoring must breed some tension.

9. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

I am not sure about the novels but I use to collect the comic book series, it was ok but The Forgoteen Realms comic book ROCKED 8)

Our Host!