Dodge master quest?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Bendak Starkiller, Dec 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Bendak Starkiller

Bendak Starkiller New Member

Alright I did a search but couldn't really find anything in a timely manner, and I'm too lazy to read through hundreds of posts so here goes. I have a throw guy who is neutral in terms of magic/tech, and I wanna do the dodge master quest (this is the first time I've made a thrower).

The guy wants me to kill Garrick Stout. Is there any way to challenge Stout instead of killing him outright? He's a tough bastard, I know that from playing through with melee guys... I can take him with my throw guy right now probably, but I don't want to have to kill the 2-3 guards that always come to his aid when I try to fight him. Is there no way to challenge him to a one-on-one fight or something to get around evoking the other guards' wrath? I'm around level 27 and I play in real time, so killing all the guards is not only really hard, but it probably wouldn't be good for my alignment (this is a good character).

I could probably kill them and get the alignment back eventually, but I dunno, it's just not right... I'm a really picky RPG player lol... I'm sure some of you guys are as well. So is there no way to kill this guy without taking the other guards out as well?

2. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well, I waited until I saw the least amount of guards around, but you do wind up fighting some anyway.
    Also... the quest you are talking about is the Dodge Master quest. You don't have to kill Garrick for the Throwing master quest (you have to retrieve Azram's Star or something, iirc)

3. Bendak Starkiller

Bendak Starkiller New Member

Yeah my bad. My guy is a thrower and I have max skill levels in both Dodge and Throw, but I haven't gotten around to crossing the moutains to get into the forest to do the Throw master quest yet. Got em mixed up.

That sucks I have to fight all those guys though. Will I be attacked on sight in Dernholm from now on after I kill Garrick or what? I'm thinking about running from him and trying to lead him out of town to minimize guard interference.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Just help yourself to some dynamite, and blow garrick to pieces. There's some in Bessie Toone's cavern, at the crash site and in the wolf cave on the road from Black Root to Dernholm. Position youself a bit away from him, and watch in amazement when the explosives blow him to pieces.

5. Mercury

Mercury New Member

A pure thrower? Im sorry, but that seems to be the most boring character idea i have ever heard. Cmon, dude, your playing Arcanum with a neutral character in terms of magick and technology?

6. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

What's wrong with that? It's everyone's perogative to choose their characters in the way they want, not because others say they should or shouldn't do so-and-so. One of the great things about Arcanum is the number of options given to the player, so who are we to say one should only use certain options? You can play the game more than once, you know.

7. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Yes, yes, i respect his opinion. But you can use so much cool and different character options and he just went in the neutral one path. I dont understand...

8. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

What make the other stuff cool? And why should all characters be based on "coolness" in the first place. It's a highly addictive form of developement - go for the flashy pwers, use big weapons, dress garishly, etc. I fallen prey to it many times. But every once in a while, I find myself wanting to be an ordinary, understated character, since thay have a dignity and sense of tact that pusts in-your-face yahoos to shame. Besides, isn't the ability to bury a knife in a man's throat from across the room with your eyes closed "cool"?

9. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I think i understand you. Perhaps later i will just want to play an average Joe.

10. Wolfsbane

Why suck when you can be great, I say. If you think a character's cool, you can always make him good enough to beat the most of monsters alone or with some company. Why play a character who's independent on someone else to survive?
    When given all these options, I just don't understand how anyone can like to play the average, boring, bloody, Joe.

But I respect your opinion. I just don't understand it.

11. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Bah! Durg, my retarded half-ogre mage is one of the coolest and funniest characters I've played, but he really needs all the help he can get. I doubt I'll be able to get through the mines.

12. Wolfsbane

What mines? There are several, you know...

13. Paladinlover

Paladinlover New Member

Bah, why go through the quest when you can just use the save game editor and max everything out from the very beginning! :D

14. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

There are only one set of mines that are worth being called "the mines". The BMC mines of course.

Anywho, cheaters suck! *rolls Paladinlover in tar, then covers him in feathers, then burns him*

15. Wolfsbane

Let's all burn the cheater! Die!
    *whacks the remains with a stick*

16. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

In view of the fact that we don't know much about him yet, and he is new, why don't we do the humane thing and simply behead him?

*Powers up whetstone*

17. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Well, he joined in early 2004... Is that new?

18. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Not particularly. I only every used that editor for testing and fucking around. Pretending you're actually playing the game when you just max out your guys each game is retarded.

19. Wolfsbane

Yep. It sucks being mr. Superman. You can create your own, rule-abiding monsters just by playing the game. I mean half-ogres. I mean elven mages.
    Those are the real killers. Oh yeah.

20. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Or you can get the level-cap increase and work at becoming Mr. Superman. Though you really don't need to. I would also add the backstabbing master-of-sneaking gnome to the uber list unless you're talking about only out-of-the-gate monsters.

Our Host!