Do yourself a favour...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Settler, Nov 22, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Settler

Settler Member

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Dude, when they chucked out the skill system from the original, I pretty much lost interest. And PetitionOnline never changed anyone's mind.

3. Settler

Settler Member

Sure, PetitionOnline won't, but the sight of 90% of fans, casual and hardcore alike, slamming the game on every single DX forum will (take a look at the Ion Storm forums, for exmple). The chances of a delay may be slim, but you never know...

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Admittedly it's only one person's opinion, but I heard the demo sucks ass, and the decision to release it on the XBox has majorly fucked up how it runs.

5. Settler

Settler Member

You're absolutely correct.

Here's the main problems -
    • Unified ammo
      'Dumbing Down' (no keypads, combined multitool/lockpick, that kind of thing)
      Insanely low damage (see #39 in the petition)
      Interface (fixable by fiddling in .inis)
      Enormous, CONSOLE fonts (fixable by fiddling in .inis)
      No leaning
      Temperamental AI

That's all I can think of right now...

It's at least 60,000 people's opinions, at my estimates, and that's only those who are already in the know.

I paraphrase someone on the IS forums - "In going mainstream, they've f u c k e d it up so much that even 'mainstream' people think it's stupid."

Damn, I never thought I'd say this about a game I've been waiting 2.5 years for, but I really hope Eidos play it smart and recalls it (no matter how improbable).

6. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Maybe I should play the first one...

But yeah, petitions don't do shit...especially online ones...and especially ones that are not official by the company...

I don't think it worked with the large Fallout 3 one, or did it?

7. Settler

Settler Member

Oh...and NO. LOCATION. DAMAGE. *weep*

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You have got to be fucking kidding me. No collision detection? What year are we in, 1996? Goldeneye was the first game to have it, and it's been a relative death knell not to have it since then.

9. Settler

Settler Member

If by collision detection, you mean...location damage...that is, being shot in the head does more damage than being shot in the foot, the I agree. What I was actually talking about was the fact that you could get your legs or arms disabled/blown off in DX...but from what I've heard, it takes 5 HEADSHOTS to kill a guard...it would be unthinkable to have unspecific damage ratings like that...

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Collision detection = proper name for location damage.

11. Settler

Settler Member

I thought collision detection was just that - DETECTION of a COLLISION - i.e, what BF1942 lacks (I'm not bagging BF, but that's a good example of poor CD).

Whatever, I probably don't know enough to justify what I'm saying...

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I have to agree with settler's definition of collision detection. Poor collision detection would be something looking like it should be hitting something, and then passing through the character model or enviromental objects without any collision taking place, as if the two objects never touched, though it is painfully obvious that they simply passed through each other. A reverse of this would be something NOT hitting something but the two objects reacting like they connected regardless of how it appears.

Anyway, is anyone else not surprised that DE2 is apparently going to suck? What was the last remotely halfway decent game eidos was involved in?

13. Settler

Settler Member

14. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Settler is right. I downloaded the demo a few days ago and,in my opinion, is soiling the otherwise good Deus Ex name. All the issues that Settler raised are in there. The biggest problem is it feels like a really bad console game on PC.
    I'll sign it Settler, if only to make you happy :)

15. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Fuck it. First we get sisterhood of steel, now we're debating this garbage. Its enough to make me want to buy some chemical fertilizer and a shack in the woods and start mail bombing gaming companies.

16. Silvara

Silvara New Member

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

He means Brotherhood of Steel, the squad-based tactical RPG, something like Jagged Alliance.

18. Settler

Settler Member

Apparently disgraced the Fallout franchise. I'm sure if I had played F 1&2, I'd be horrified with BoS :)...

19. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Now I'm not feeling so bad anymore that my computer is not enough for DX2. :) Always look at the bright side of life...

20. Settler

Settler Member

Yeah, the DX2 demo has just saved me approximately A$1000...

Our Host!