Discussion for The Mercenaries 2000

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Aug 20, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Holy coconut Batman! Why going to Africa?

Edit: Why would The Caped Crusader and Boy Wonder go to Africa to do some mercenary work?

Edit1: Does the characters knows the way around or do we make the use of African guides?

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

You're going to be in Africa. Perhaps the "negroes" there won't be so large as the ones preferred by Haedor, but I'm certain their hunting skills and way of life would make up for it.

3. Arthgon

Yeah. I think Haedor would like the bigger versions. He prefer them medium rare and with curry.

I meant if our contractor wants us to go to a specific area in one of the African countries, we all know the right and safe way to get there? Or will the characters make the use of a guide?

4. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

We'll probably arrive in the country by company C-130, brought to a base of operations (if there are several separate contracts to be completed), and from there given options of perhaps a company humvee, SUV, truck, or other such land based vehicles.

Maybe a helicopter and professional pilot are available!

5. Arthgon

If I wanted to use Japes for my character background history, (an idea of wobbler) then Robert Duncan should start his career in Africa as an US Army soldier (officer?), right? Perhaps the US Army are doing there the same thing like Irak or Afganistan. And some years later he became a free lance mercenary.

Or have we just arrive in Africa at the start of the story? What about the African languages, etc. then?

Edit: Do you even need a military background to become a mercenary? Or are there different ways to become one?

6. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Clearly we'll start off in the US. Or the UK. Or New Zeeland. Or any other English speaking country. South Africa? There we'll meet up for the first time and be briefed!

7. Arthgon

Then my character would start off in the US. Is it okay that my character start of his career as an US army soldier (officer?) and later become a freelance mercenary? Or do you do not need a military background to become a mercenary?

8. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I'm confused; I thought you were going for a Navy SEAL.

And yes, that's the most standard real world contractor story, really.

Those big league PMCs are usually recruiting from former special operators and law enforcement officers.

There are other special operations units to choose from, especially the US has a whole slew of them, such as:

JSOC has the Combat Applications Group, better known by their common name Delta Force (Tier 1 versatile operators), although they are never refered to as such by people associated with the program. They perform all sorts of tasks, such as intelligence, counter-terrorism, direct action, hostage rescue, tactical intervention, etc.

The Navy's counter part of Delta Force is known as DEVGRU (also known by their former, now unofficial name, ST-6), their activities are largely unspoken of by officials, and as such nut jobs usually theorize they perform black operations. They, with Delta Force, are the US's primary counter-terrorism units.

The Army has the 75th Ranger Regiment (a member of this regiment is informally known as a 'ranger'. The regiment as a whole is also sometimes refered to as the Rangers). They are not part of JSOC because their use is not "specialized" (well, not usually anyway. Although, exceptions occur), they're merely the US Army's "big guns."

The Marine Corps have their most famous SOC unit, FORECON, or Force Recon as they are popularly known, whom perform most of the tasks previously mentioned, with a focus on intelligence gathering, scouting, and amphibious ops.

The US Navy has the oh so hyped up Sea, Air and Land Teams, commonly (and surprisingly often officially) known as the Navy SEALs. The name comes from their capability to operate in virtually all environments. Despite this however, most of their operations take place on land. All members of the SEALs are male, no exceptions.

Those are the most prominent SOC units of the US armed forces! Why do I know so much about USSOCOM? Oh, Yuki, you so crazy. :roll:

9. Arthgon

I am still going for a Navy SEAL, but I was not sure if this is okay.

Name: Robert Duncan

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Black Hair with a bit grey

Height: 6’4

Weight: 200 pounds

Marital State: Engaged

Birth Date: 20-8-1980 (35)

Nationality: American

Education:

Sept 1998 - Lakeview High school Diploma

Dec 1999 - Texas Military Academy/ Naval Special Warfare Preparatory School

Is this part okay or does it need some changes?

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Its all part of Batman Incorporated. I suppose as it is in Africa though we could send in Batwing.

11. Arthgon

You would not let go of Batman do not you?

Naval Special Warfare Preparatory School

Robert Duncan has attended and graduate from Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) school and then the 28-week SEAL Qualification Training (SQT) program. SQT qualifies all BUD/S graduates in basic SEAL skillsets in MAROPS, Combat Swimmer, Communications, TCCC, Close Quarters Combat, Land Warfare, Staticline/Freefall Parachute Operations, SERE and Combatives.

Once outside the formal schooling environment he entered a new Team at the beginning of an operational rotation can expect 18 months of Professional Development/Schools (PRODEV) and Troop unit level training (ULT) before each 6-month deployment.

12. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

This RP should be fun to read. Like watching an especially bad Van Damme movie.

13. Arthgon

Would it be better then that my character started his career just an American soldier or something? Could someone give some tips or advice?

Is this okay?

Hair: Black and grey
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: 200 pounds
    Occupation: Former US soldier (Officer?). Now Freelance Mercenary
    Recommendations (sp?): General Tom Hardy, Big Jim.
    Previous employment:

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Maybe we should make a separate thread for Arthgon's character's evolution.

15. Arthgon

Perhaps. What should I write under previous employments? You mean the precious contractors and what the character has done for them? Or do you mean what he has done before he became a mercenary?

Could someone tell me if the last version of Robert Duncan is okay? Or should it be like this?

Appearance: Tall (6'4), muscular and heavy set (200 pounds), dark hair and blue eyes.
    Skills:
    Personality: Cynic, arrogant, loves black humor.
    Previous employment:
    Recommendations (sp?): General Tim Hardy, Big Jim.
    Equipment:

If not could someone tell me what is wrong with it? And give me some tips and advices?

Also, what for skills do you mean? Something like this? Hand-to-hand combat, light weaponry, heavy weaponry, etc.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

So far my Batman is the only legit character I think.

17. Arthgon

What about this?

Nationality: American
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Grey
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: 190 pounds
    Skills: Survival, light weaponry, heavy weaponry, sneak.
    Equipment: The usual weaponry for a mercenary, rations, water flask (full), cigarett lighter, pack of cigarettes (Camel), knife, sunglasses, rope, some clean clothes and a compass.

Okay? If not tell me

Which kind of recommendations, previous employments should be used?

18. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Modern Mercenaries, eh? Lemme try my hand at this...

Code name: Commander Tumnus

Base of Operations:
    A House near The Lamppost

Marital Status: Single

Height: 5'6"

Weight: 125lbs

Hair: Brown, with red/brown legs

Powers: Mr. Tumnus has no super powers but possesses a keen intellect and superb fighting skills. Mr. Tumnus can also play quite the tune on his lute, and can use it to distract people while the sleeping aid he used on their tea knocks them the hell out.

History: After Lucy returned to Spar Oom, Mr. Tumnus found himself heat broken and alone. Picking up on their philosophies, he became a wandering do-gooder, armed with a stout staff, and sporadically an AK-47.

Allies: Aslan. Who needs more of an ally than a damn Lion God? Oh, and Mr and Mrs. Beaver.

Enemies: the White Witch, wolves, dwarves, and the Telemarians.

19. Arthgon

Is this going to be rp with characters from the comics or something?

20. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Since Yuki is semileader in this RPG (I can bet you that Wolfsbane wont mind and will bow to your expertise and work in the area) I would like her to write up a short summary of this team. Which company we are working for and any other information that might be important to know while drumming up the character.
    Mostly what company we are working for.

EDIT: Seriously, to much trolling going on in this thread.

Our Host!