Diablo 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkFool, Dec 30, 2016.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I know this game is now considered old, but anyone still playing D3? I just recently acquired it and was thinking of making a guild.

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Guilds are mostly meaningless in D3, mostly a way to communicate in-game easier.

I played Diablo 3 a ton when the expansion came out and have since stopped playing. I have sort of made my peace with it, it's an okay game, but I can't see myself returning to it. It's got the usual Blizzard polish so it plays well and the execution of action feels really good, which is what you're looking for in an action RPG. However, the choices made about gearing and skill selection made long-term play not enjoyable for me.

They also took the amazing plot from D2 and fucked it right in the ass with no lube. Seriously, the plot in Diablo 3 and the expansion is pretty bad. If I hear the word NEPHALEM shouted at me through a text box one more time I'll probably kill myself.

I would say play the story mode and enjoy the skill progression and the bad story, and try out a little of the endgame and see what you think. If you're like me you won't feel like you wasted $20 (or whatever you paid), but you won't feel a huge desire to come back.

3. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Sounds like my experience with smuel's mom.

I've never been big on the ARPG/Diablo genre. The only ones I remember really getting into were Titan's Quest and BG: Dark Alliance.

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Agreed that guilds are mostly meaningless. I just figured it'd be an easy way to communicate in-game if there were many folks from here who played.

I have to agree about the plot, pretty much. Adria being evil wasn't a stretch for me (I hated that witch from Day One of D1), but turning Leah into Diablo felt forced, and like a vain effort to advance the story. Plus, she would've been an excellent character to have in D4 as a replacement to Deckard Cain, and he actually would've made for an impressive and terrifying Diablo, in my opinion. What really got me about the campaign (I never played without Reaper of Souls) was the expansion: WestMarch felt like it had a lot of promise and capacity to be an interesting environment to battle through, but it felt like the shortest chapter out of any of them.

...oh, and the Monk and Witch Doctor are both pointless classes.

I've run through it with most of the classes, at this point, and have even done some seasonal play. I recently picked up the re-released Titan's Quest, and am going to give D3 a little while longer, then switch and see which I prefer.

I'm still hoping that Microsoft releases a Dungeon Siege 4, based on 2, and pretends 3 never happened. I'm beginning to despise all new games as being simplistic and cookie-cutter (I'm looking at you Dragon's Age Inquisition).

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Sounds like you guys both enjoyed Titan Quest. I'd recommend trying out Grim Dawn. Made by the people from Titan Quest (I think?), it's got the same dual skill tree system which is a lot of fun. I played Grim dawn for (checks Steam library), shit, 90+ hours?

I guess I enjoyed it more than I remember.

Our Host!