Death Hit.Possibility of 1 hit kill of an enemy creature .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, Oct 20, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

(edited wrong calculations)

Death Hit. Possibility of 1 hit kill of an enemy creature based on perception and char level.

In Arcanum you can miss ,hit, do a critical hit and a critical miss.

But there is not such thing as 1 hit death. But it is well known that many monsters can die with one puny hit if you are able to hit them in just the right spot. With death strike you will have the opportunity to kill the majority of monsters with 1 hit.

In order to have a possibility for a death strike first you must hit the monster by a weapon or a spell.

After the game checks if your character level plus your perception score multiplied by 2 minus 40 is equal or greater to the monster level.

So if your are level 30 and your perception is 8 the highest level monster that could be affected by a deadly hit is (30+8*2)-40=6

If you are level 18 and your perception is 20 then the highest level monster that could be affected would be (18+20*2)-40 =18.

If you are level 50 and your perception is 8 then the highest level monster that could be affected would be (50+8*2)-40 =26

If you are level 50 and your perception is 18 then the highest level monster that could be affected would be (50+18*2)-40 =46

The chance of a death strike is always 5 % or 1 in 20.

Finally not all creatures will be affected by death strike. Humanoid like creatures will not be affected because sentient creatures usually take steps to protect their vital organs from a such a hit by using armor. On the other hand the vast majority of the monsters will be affect by the death strike.

What do you think ?

Is death strike a good idea or a bad one ?

2. xento

xento New Member

Is this an Arcanum 2 idea, because if it is, it's in the wrong forum, bud. :roll:

Anyway, I don't see any advantage of it over a critical hit. I think it would make what was already too easy much easier.

3. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

No it is not . It is for my hard arcanum mod .

Much easier ? a 5 % chance ?

And did you check the levels ? Did you read all the post ?

4. xento

xento New Member

Alright, then. My mistake.

Yes. I know it's slim, but it is an ADDITIONAL 5% chance to kill in one hit, while if not added, there wouldn't be that chance at all.

Yes.

5. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

f you are level 50 and your perception is 8 then the highest level monster that could be affected would be (50+8*2)-40 =16

So unless you spends points in perception that 5 % chance is really 0 %

In other words I do not think that this is unbalancing because you need to spend a lot of points in perception for this to work.

6. xento

xento New Member

Well, I suppose it may help even the magick/tech odds, because it would apply more for a high-level gunslinger than a mage.

BTW, (50 + 8*2)-40 = 26, not 16.
    You made that same mistake in a few of your other calculations, as well.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think that you should learn how to use proper punctuation, chris. No offense. I just catch these mistakes like a ball.

Uhh...this doesn't belong in GD, even so.

BTW, you need to learn math too.

8. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

9. xento

xento New Member

Like a ball?

I suppose, but it belongs here better than Hints 'n Tips or Arcanum 2 Discussion.

Well, it was a good idea, nonetheless.

Your welcome.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Xento, why don't you flame me on MSN and humor me? :p

11. xento

xento New Member

You mean I don't?

Reguardless, let's try to keep this on-topic.

I think, as I said, that it would be a good edition, although mostly pointless.

12. benno the mad

benno the mad New Member

Re: Death Hit.Possibility of 1 hit kill of an enemy creature

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

'd say factor it into the critical hit possibiity, or the called shot thing no one seems to know about. either way, make it pretty rare. the worst thing i can think of is having ever battle degenerate into the ultra-easy later stages of fallout 2. (aim at the eyes, boom, dead) make it a rare reward, not a constant certainty.

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Re: Death Hit.Possibility of 1 hit kill of an enemy creature

I don't think that would be possible benno - unless there's a way to scan what kind of equipment a character is wearing or not, which I don't think it is. In Arcanum, you really just "hit" your opponent without any regards of were the swing/bullet/arrow actually connects, and it's always your full AC/DR that is brought into the equation, not just parts of it.

However, even if possible, this would still not be practical. It's impossible to see if a fellow in full plate actually has a helmet on you know...

15. Canis

Canis New Member

[anal]
    Actually I'd think, particularly taking into account the new forum arrangement, that this thread has less business here than in Hints/Tips or Arcanum 2, seeing as how this is an Arcanum thread and not general chit chat. At least there the thread would be in Arcanum Country. Now if you'd look further down in the Arcanum section, you'd see a "Modding and Scripting Support" forum, which seems to me the best place for this sort of discussion.

It's always a pleasure seeing threads posted in the correct forum. Problem with posting in GD is, things always veer off topic, and said veerance is accepted and welcomed unlike some of the other, more strict, boards around here. Sure you could say, as some have already said in other threads, that you don't want to post in the right forum because nobody else ever posts there. Congratulations, you're now part of the problem. :thumbup:
    [/anal]

And no, I don't actually have anything constructive to contribute to this thread. Just thought I'd mention that and save any wannabe smart ass the trouble of asking. Always thinking of others, that's me.

16. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Modding and Scripting Support forum ?

No.

It would fit there if i was asking .

Hey please !!!! Tell me how to use world ed to do that !!!!!

But you see i do not require any Modding and Scripting Support .

I am just asking people opinion.

chris.

17. Canis

Canis New Member

...On a board which is usually taken to mean "General Non Arcanum Community Chatter", and which isn't even listed under Arcanum. Several boards here could have better descriptions written for them but that usually isn't a good enough excuse for people to post wherever they want. Modding & Scripting Support is best seen as the all purpose Arcanum modding board, or so I've always felt. Anyway, how does this thread not qualify as "any module, scripting related questions"? Fishing for opinions is akin to asking for advice, and whichever way you want to spin it you are in fact asking for people's help.

18. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I agree with Chris on this. He wants feedback on something important and he figured he will get more in GD than on the other forums. This is an expection I will let go.

Our Host!