Daniel Pearl's Death

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryant1380, Feb 22, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Officials announced late last night (2-21-02) that it had been confirmed that Daniel Pearl, the journalist captured in Pakistan by Islamic radicals, had been killed. There is a videotape that was recovered that shows Pearl's throat being cut. Read about it here

This is just sick. I'm not trying to start a Islamic hate thread, terrorist hate thread, Jew, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, nothing. But I just think this is tragic. That kidnappers had no right doing that. Daniel Pearl's wife Mariane, is 6 months pregnant with their first-born, a son. Now that kid will go through life w/out his father, who was killed in a senseless act of violence. What did killing Pearl have anything to do with ....well, anything?? They (the kidnappers) demanded ransom and some other shit, but.....

Well, it just makes me sick..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retard on 2002-02-22 10:51 ]</font>

2. Ioo

Ioo New Member

I think this is a stupid thread all-together...

That's just stupid man... did they have to kidnapped... what the hell was that supposed to mean.

There's no limit to human stupidity.

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

They are radicals. They don't need to explain their actions, though they obviously live by the mantra "If you can do it, it's your right to."

4. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Ioo, fuck you. I grow very, very tired of your bullshit.

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Big conflicts, trivial reasons. Countries rule to wage wars. But it's the most innocent bystanders that get misfortune sent to them in a package of grief.

6. LostSoul

LostSoul New Member

He was an american journalist doing research, in the field, on islamic fundamentalists. One of the less smart thing to to, he atually sought out people who hate americans. In one aspect it was his own fault - though I do agree it is a sad thing.

I wonder.. What if the US would start demanding stuff, and threaten to just execute some Al-Qaida prisoner every day, unless the demands are met...

Dunno, looks to me like a good move in the propaganda war (i.e.: they are evil vs. we are the good guys).

7. Gonk

Gonk New Member

It seems just like the KKK-mobbings to me. A bunch of weak oppressed fools who can't do anything to improve their situation. So they kill innocent people just to create an illusion for themselves. As said: It's really sad.

8. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Weak, deluded and evil, I'd say.

I don't think the KKK was made up of people you'd consider oppressed, since (as I understand it) the members were often prominent local citizens who rant he community when acting like savages behind a white mask.

Same for the group that did the killing this time. From what I hear (although I could be misinformed) the ring-leader is a man educated in England at a decent school. That kind of thing takes money for a Pakistani to achieve, so he's unlikely to be part oft he underclass.

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

It's hard to lead radicals without an education...all the villians in history have usually had good educations...Hell, I think Osama bin Laden had a pretty good education himself.

10. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Well, retard, doesn't everyone? And now something serious: What did I say just now that was wrong? I merely didn't like the way you put it... Not that I support terrorism or killing Americans. I also heard he was killed because he was Jewish... maybe that's just rumors. So there shouldn't be any conflict arising from this... I flame people all the time. Now you might get offended because I don't care much - I never knew the guy... but that's just opinion - everyone has them and they all stink, like assholes.

Now, Jar:
    I don't think so... He doesn't need education, he is taught in the ways of Islam. They don't really allow much education and they don't need more of it than they get, at least that's what I heard they believe in.

Was gonna say something else, but I forgot... like usual.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You can't really run a Jihad or terrorist organisation with just knowledge of the Koran. You need something more, and all the successful villians in history have had it, like I've already said.

An illiterate guy won't know military tactics, and I think some of the Afghans against the USA have had CIA training...

12. Gonk

Gonk New Member

The leaders are often well educated. They're still fools. And for oppression: The fanatics often think they fight against a great injustice which can exist in their own mind alone. More likely is that they simply fight something else than the real injustice. Take the nazis in the WWII for instance. Germany was thrown into poverty by the french and the english after WWI. Instead of taking vengeance on them they went after jews and russians instead. Pathetic, evil and really sad.

13. Sheriff Fatman

I see what you're saying, Jar. They'd need all kinds of other knowledge too.

Their education (or indoctrination) must specifically exclude a fair amount though, at least during formative years, or I don't believe they'd be able to keep such a fanatical view of their pet issues. I doubt, for instance, children in Islamic fundamentalist extremist families are given a fair view of other religions.

From talking to Jinxed, as you've seen Jar, I seriously doubt that Eastern Europeans are being given an objective education when it comes to countries like Britain and the USA. I know for a fact we in Britain are given very little education on Eastern Europe, except for stuff pointing on the volitility of the Balkans and history of the Nazi invasion from WWII.

Still, mine an Jinxed's biases are minor compared to the hatred bread into people like the group that killed Daniel Pearl.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-24 07:28 ]</font>

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, the Treaty of Versailles was setback for the Germans...then they built up their industrial might and held off the world for 6 years, with only marginal help from Italy, and a bit more from Austria-Hungary. They would have lasted even longer if they'd been a little smarter (such as keeping the Czech army) and a few other things like that. Hitler was still a great leader though, and did a good job with Germany post-Depression.

15. LostSoul

LostSoul New Member

No he did not.

He built the most intolerant society known in his time. He prepared for a war he had to fight cos he would not be able to pay for 'the good stuff' he was doing. He killed off all opposition and everyone else who did not conform to his ideas. He was evil. He did Not do 'a good job' with post depression Germany.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, Hitler had fucked up ideas. Didn't stop him being a great politician and leader though. In ten years, he went from having only 2 or 3 seats in the national parliament to having only 2 or 3 seats not his. Considering they didn't elect every year, I call this pretty damn good.

Hitler was also one of the greatest public speakers in modern times. He got the nation and army all riled up and totally loyal to him. I call that doing a good job.

He had Joseph Goebbels and Leni Riefenstahl (not sure if I spelt that correctly) working for him, making some great propaganda (Goebbels did most of it, but Riefenstahl was also a great filmmaker, including making a film - Triumph at Nuremberg, or something like that, I'm probably wrong, but she did make it - that is still considered the greatest propaganda film of all time, almost 70 years on. I call utilising people like that to help you doing a good job.

I could go on and on about this. I won't deny that Hitler was screwed in the head, and that he was evil. I will say that he was very good at what he did.

17. Ioo

Ioo New Member

I donno about elections, Jar... In Russia, in times of communism for example there were elections, but the only choice was for the party leader... the one in power at the time... So you voted but you had no choice... They reigned untill they died, and a bit after that... Some of them died and they only told people 3 days later... some were that sick that they couldn't get off the bed... or had to carry a little medical device thing with them... there was a joke about those 2... :smile:

Of course I don't remember that, but I've read some books and heard that from people who are older than me.

And...come to think of it, Bin Laden was in the CIA...wasn't he?

18. Milo

Milo New Member

I'm not sure if Bin Laden himself was trained, but it is true that the mujahadeen was trained and armed by the CIA during the Soviet/Afghan conflict. After the Soviet Union pulled out of Afghanistan, the US also left and, if I'm not mistaken, these mujahadeen went on to take control of the country.

Regarding the original post, I agree. It's a sad thing. Field journalists that go to these dangerous places are knowingly risking their lives, but still... It's just a sad thing.

Why couldn't they have taken Geraldo instead?
    [​IMG]

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Personally, I don't like journalists. The media gets in the way of things sometimes - "The public has a right to know the truth!". Which is absolute bullshit - if the government decides the public isn't ready for something yet, then the media should respect that decision, because the government is usually the representatives of the people.

20. Sheriff Fatman

Yeah, there are some fame-greedy hotheads dressed up as journalists, but amongst all those self-serving attention seekers, there are a couple of people with integrity, without whom we'd be even more screwed over by politicians than we currently are.

Cover ups are not a thing of the past. The whole "beef crisis" (sounds hilarious when titled like that!) over here of the '80's and '90's was forced into the public arena by one journalist, who was hunted and persecuted by our government before he managed to get the himself heard.

Also, Michael Heseltine, a member of Maggie Thatchers Cabinet, was exposed for arms dealing. He still wriggled out of being tried as a criminal, but only by very publicly shutting the operation down and shopping his accomplices.

Jar, it looks like you know an awful lot about the Nazi government. Now, I'm going to assume you came upon this info through some school-related activity, rather than as some form of here worship

*imagines Jar's little "Love Shrine to the Amazing Adolf"*

*shakes himself out of it, shuddering*

Ugh! Anyway, I suppose Hitler was a successful leader, but I don't really think it would be much of a crime to leave that unsaid. It isn't necessary to recognise his successes or good qualities. The fact he was a genocidal maniac makes it quite acceptable (to me) to leave his good qualities and successes unrecognised. I hope he is slandered and reviled throughout history for the horror that he caused.

To get the ball rolling on that, in this thread, here's a little propoganda song that 40's Londoners used to sing about Herr Wanker.

It's generally chanted to a melody called he Colonel Bogey March. If you don't know what this sounds like, it's the music used during the tunneling scenes in The Great Escape

Our Host!