Damned learning curve, grumble....

Discussion in 'ToEE Hints & Tips' started by Canis, Oct 29, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

Coupla questions. :D

One, is it possible to search barrels, chests, dressers, etc.? If so, how? I see all these containers everywhere but I can't open them. If I click on them my character simply goes and stands right by the object. Gah!!!

Two, I've so far made it only as far as Hommlett. I went to the inn, and when I stepped back outside the circle around my character was gone and I cannot move. No amount of reloading will fix it. Is this a bug or did I hit some key I wasn't supposed to?

Three, the voice sets suck. I'm going to try to turn them off in game options but if my character doesn't shut up I'm going to feed it to a big nasty monster and LAUGH. Once I get it walking again, that is. (Not so much a question, just something on my mind. :) )

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm afraid that most of the containers you see are just eye-candy. There are very few accessable barrels/chest as it seems. Remember, the only ones you can get into are those that are highlighted when the cursor is hovering above them, though I guess you've already figured that one out. :)

Weird, I haven't encountered that one, but seen in the light that this game has an absurd amount of bugs, it could very well be one.

Eh, and you have tried clicking on the character portrait/select all button, right? Sometimes the characters get unmarked and you have to mark them again.

Really? That hasn't bothered me the least. Maybe I should go check my hearing...

EDIT: You always refer to your party as "my character". Does that mean that you're trying the game solo? If so, that's just so cool, but it will be difficult, I promise.

3. Canis

Canis New Member

Okay, that sucks, but it's good to know. I was beginning to suspect as much but I wasn't sure, especially given the sheer number of things about the game I don't understand yet.

Every time I click on something it's, "Okay!" "Will do!" "Absolutely!" "Right away!" Drives me CRAZY, and makes me long for the relative silence of Arcanum.

Well, I really hated making a full party myself in Icewind Dale, so I'm going to try to do it with just one character of my own and pick up some followers. When I posted that other message I hadn't gotten so far as to meet any followers, so it was just me. Stuck. Without a little blue circle. :( I've since started over and have that "treasure finder" guy, and am looking for others. Will followers stay with you for the whole game or will they leave you at inconvenient times? Oh, and will the treasure finder mind if I sell his gem collection? :D

If it doesn't work I could always start over, or try using that strange book in the inn which seems to be a party modification device. No big deal.

4. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I don't know if there are any searchable objects in Hommlett. There are in the Moathouse.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just press tab... and look carefully. There'll be a blue line surrounding the object if it is searchable.

Basically, there're only corpses and chests. One bookshelf, one rock and one well. One item just placed on the ground, hiding under some trees.

There's a bug currently that involves NPC going hostile when you ask them to leave... in the official boards people said it could be due to *ANY* spells cast by your PCs on your NPCs are considered hostile.

There's one NPC that will leave if you go back to a certain place, but you can ask him to join again. There're some that will turn against you when you're low on HP. There're also some that will have a certain accident soon after they join your party, for they are carrying certain items... :roll:

Basicaly, Elmo is the best. (And this is not a spoiler - that official site already said that in the NPC section)

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

If you don't have a wizard/sorceror in your party, Spugnoir is pretty cool, because he only wants wizard scrolls. Generally, I find the people who want the least loot to be the best, but the gay pirate gets to be good if you can keep him alive long enough (that, and the purple noble garb/white cloak/pirate hat combo looks bitching!).

Furnok the treasure hunter is okay if you don't have a rogue - I haven't had much experience with him myself. Zert isn't that great. He's supposed to be a fighter I think, but he never gets too many hit points, so he's really only useful around the Moathouse, but after that I'd drop him if he isn't already dead. Elmo really is good though, because he only wants money.

Side note - if they've got a voice, chances are good you can hire them. I picked up one follower tonight that I hadn't got before. Doesn't have the greatest stats, but I got a fantastic sword out of the bargain. I can definitely see myself using it at the end, and I already know one fight where it would be very handy.

Now, if only some certain annoying bugs (like being able to claim my reward from the courier I've met) could be fixed in the patch, then I'd be dancing for joy.

7. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Elmo is the best pick at the beginning. He starts off with a couple magic items and at level 3 I think, which means that he will be your main fighter for a while. At least through the moathouse and the second temple level. The best NPC's are Oohlgrist and Scorpp. Jar, that "Argh! Matey!" fellow was trash, after 5 levels I gave up and threw him out. :p

Zert is funny and his HD rolls seemed to be better than that pirate guy. But he's still useless.

Wanna have a wedding? There are two bribes you can marry. One of them is a druid, so you might want to try it just for kicks. If you take the wizard from the Welcome Wench, he better be the only other wizard cause he steals the scrolls.

Feeling like Eros Rex? There is a gay black pirate you can free from slavery.

Really, the diversity is huge and you'll find your favorite every time.

Our Host!