Damn, I'm glad!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Aug 31, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It is a rare occurence, I know, but I'm actually happy today :) .

The reason for this is that Kajsa Bergquist managed to get the Bronze medal in the womens high jump! I saw it all on television... I guess all of you heard me screaming when she managed 2.00 and secured a medal :) .

Of course, gold would had been even better, but that Cloete woman was just too damn good - she was close to break the world record, after all.

[​IMG]

Isn't she lovely?

2. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

um... who is she, and what was your point by telling us? so we knew who she was or what? I don't follow the Olympics... or the VMAs... or any other sort of award... I dislike celebrities... and while the Olympics may not produce many celebrities, I get bored with tv easily.

3. Flink

Flink New Member

I'm happy that you're happy Dark Elf. Altho I'm not very interested in that type of sport....

4. Silvio-Arjunza

I agree... soccer is a MUCH more interesting sport... well, in my opinion. :p so yea... but what sport does she compete in? I don't even know... lol...

5. Canis

Canis New Member

Personally I like baseball (I got a wooden Louisville Slugger bat for my birthday!... does that make me an eCunt Jar?) and Australian rules football, but track and field is always good to watch just to admire the beauty of the athletic human form. Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia continues to be one of my favorite films for this reason.

6. Silvio-Arjunza

ok, I guess I'll have to watch the Olympics next year they roll around... um... yea... I seem to have fogotten what else I was gonna say... :-? :lol: :-? oh yea! I think Brazil is the best football team... Brazil's awesome... though I don't really watch much soccer... I never remember to... :p

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

No, it doesn't. But that was a really cool weapon in Rise of the Triads. If you held down fire long enough, it swung itself and a whole heap of flaming baseballs went flying out. It was really cool.

Man, a non-Australian who is a fan of AFL! I thought I'd never see the day...Truly a game that swings at the drop of a hat, a game that requires a supreme level of fitness and reflexes. You should have mentioned this earlier Canis, the talks we could have had. Ah well, we can have them now. You follow any particular team? Just don't tell me you're a Collingwood supporter...

8. Canis

Canis New Member

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the teams to become a fan of any one. I always felt that fandom was a sort of tribal thing, and the only teams I've ever been a fan of have been local.

One of the cable networks here, Fox Sports World, shows games in between their seemingly endless parade of soccer matches, and I just think it's the most thrilling sport I've seen. The skill! The athleticism! The blood and violence! The tight butts! And after I made the effort to learn the rules it was even better: no longer did they appear to be running around the field according to some lunatic's code! Ahhhhh.

There's another sport I like, but haven't seen played in years. Whazzit called. Curling, I think it is. Bunch of Irishmen with no protective gear running about after a hard ball, ostensibly trying to smack the ball with their clubs but usually getting each other instead. God, American sports are full of sissies.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Canis, you sure you're not talking about bandy? Curling is completely different from your description, if I understand correctly :) .

Well, as I've said, I'd just seen her taking bronze... then I went off on my regular visit on the forum and then, well, in a mood of national pride I made a new topic. Nothing strange with that I guess...

I actually find high jumping pretty damn interesting... but you should know that by now :) .

10. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i used to watch Australian Rules Football all the time when i lived in England. they get that on satellite over there. i loved that stuff, the way they just run and punt/bounce the ball to each other etc. and even though its only slightly better than rugby (tough call there) it completely kicks the NFLs ass.

and canis personally i fucking hate baseball. not that my opinion shold matter to you, but the best way i can see fit to describe it as "the american pass time" is the fact that it is usually the richest team that wins (the yankees). who are worth 500 million american dollars. which is twice the monetary value of the next most expensive team.

yes i agree with the sports commentators. that kind of fascism is TRULY the american pass time.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Oh yeah, it's a madman's game if you don't understand the rules. I love the AFL ads they show on the telly here, because they're usually full of some great highlights (mainly spectacular marks), but the game itself is thrilling. If you can play a whole game of AFL in the midfield, you are super bloody fit.

I personally think that rugby union is one of the toughest sports you can play, but I know the Irish have some tough games as well. I'm pretty sure each country does, I just don't know enough about them.

12. Settler

Settler Member

Mmmm...it's Moorcroft-a-licious! Think it was the greatest ever? I haven't seen many of ye olde highlights...

Anyway, Essendon's in, and I'm happy... you're a Brisbane* supporter, Jar?

*Heathen!

13. Canis

Canis New Member

So, you don't like baseball because the teams are owned by corporations who can buy the best players? Never mind the Dodgers; News Corp. seems to like to pay other teams to take our best. Well at least we still have Eric Gange, though if he keeps playing as well as he has been we'll have to trade him.

Oh, and then there's Rickey Henderson and Jeromy Burnitz; the Mets are more or less paying their salaries even now that they're playing for the Dodgers. Ha! Well these things usually even out in the end.

Anyway, it seems that a person who "fucking hates baseball" because of the rich owners isn't very likely to play the game, just to consider watching it on television if he finds himself unable to lift his fat ass off the couch. So what is it, you hate corporate influence in sports, or you just don't like the game (unlikely, since most people just remain passive towards sports they don't particularly like, they don't "fucking hate" them), or maybe you like playing it but think it's a bore to watch, or you're just another fat kid who likes to run his mouth because he never got picked for the team? :???:

14. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

hahahahaha, "fat kid"

i played baseball in elementry and middle school, i played at the front of the batting order and i played right field and secong base. then i got a clue and played more basketball, which is at least fun. baseball is to slowly paced, and i dislike playing it because of that. Major League Baseball is full of whores, but i still get dragged to games by my family who are all huge yankees fans, except for my dad who roots for whatever the local team is where we are living at the time.

this fat kid you know as sleek_jeek played basketball in middle school and during the begining of his freshman year. then he ran track and cross country for three years. i guess i'm just a stereotypical fat kid. how could you tell? was it something about the way i write my posts? or do you have cameras hidden throughout my house? or have you hacked into my digital bathroom scale through the matrix? :-? :lol: we're

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, Settler, I support Brisbane. It's nice that one of the teams I support is actually winning these days (every other local/state/international team seems to be losing constantly).

sleek, while I am a fan of cricket, you've obviously never watched a test match. One day cricket is usually pretty exciting, but a 5 day test match is not really considered an excitement machine.

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i didnt mention that i played rugby, field hockey and cricket while i lived in england did i? cricket was surprisingly fun to play. but yeah i never really liked to watch it aside from the last few hours or so when it came to matches. the games i was in were usually 2 hours to 3 hours (this is when i was in the fifth grade, 10 and 11 years old.)

but yeah i agree cricket is fun.

17. Canis

Canis New Member

Jeek, you sure seem awful defensive. I posed a variety of explanations and the one you latch onto is my "fat kid" remark. Hmm....

Now, if you'd reread my post you'd see that I honestly don't care about your personal athletic achievements, or lack thereof. Anyway I'm not really in the mood (or the age group) to get in a pissing contest about it. What I was asking is why you "fucking hate baseball". I don't particularly care for any number of sports, but I can't say that I "fucking hate" them either. I don't really like golf, but I don't hate it either. I ignore it, and it's really a nonissue for me. Apparently you think that baseball is boring, but as you grow older (if not up) you may come to realize that you can't waste your time "fucking hating" everything that bores you. I can only conclude that you have some serious issues with baseball that you're not telling us (I'll leave it to Retard to come up with a suitable homoerotic scenario involving the bats and other equipment; that's really his area of expertise not mine), or that "fucking hate baseball" was another example of your poorly thought out and worded posts. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter for now.

Fat Kid. :razz:

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

fine fine fine, i dont necessarily hate the sport, i dislike it. as for Major League Baseball, i loathe that. whatever fucking hate means, its a proper descriptor for my fealings towards people like jason giambi, and alonzo soriano, etc.

19. Silvio-Arjunza

I dislike all American sports... Soccer (football to you smarter non-Americans) is the only one which I truly love, and golf I still can't grasp... I think it's an old, fat, rich American sport.

20. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Our Host!