Custom Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Thrond, Apr 27, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Thrond

Thrond New Member

I've searched the forums already and read all of the topics on custom backgrounds, I made one myself just recently and the background DID work, that was not the problem at all.

However, while the background I created, according to the custom background tutorial found here: http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/ ... ground.txt

My background was for a Dwarf, and the background information, when applied, made it so that the dwarf no special background made it so that the dwarf was eactly the same as a human character in stats. My background worked, adding and subtracting the stats I chose, however, as seen above, it didn't add to any of the preset dwarven statistics, ie: increased tech aptitudes or +1 strength, it simply made it so that I was adding to a stock background where all stats were 8 and all skills were 0.

Hopefully I've explained the problem coherently, anyway, my question is, how would I create a custom background for a dwarf that builds on a dwarven preset character?

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I don't remember ever having this problem but it is easy enough to fix.
    You need to modify your background to take account of the dwarven statistics.

If you look in effect.mes you will see what effect is applied to dwarves.

{65}{st +1, cn +1, ch -1, dx -1, repair +2, firearms +2, picklock +2, armtrap +2, techpts +3, age +80} // race_dwarf

So copy this effect to your new effect line. Then modify it accordingly.

Although if I understand you correctly, you basically want your new line to be an empty set of brackets so your dwarf will be 'basic'.

3. Thrond

Thrond New Member

Re:

Thanks, and you're right yeh, I was hoping to start with a clean slate, with the basic dwarven bonuses, so that I could add.

I know that I can only apparently edit 5-6 each of skills and stats. Though another question I need to ask is, where is my effect.mes? Because according to the tutorial I used you have to make your own, which I did, but the only no significant background was the one incuded there. Is there an effect.mes already in the Arcanum folder before I create my own that I can edit myself?z

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

You need to undat all the Arcanum(number).DAT files into another folder in the module directory.
    The effect file will be in the rules folder.
    If you want your game to recognise the changes you make to the effect.mes file then you must put this file in your data directory.
    data\rules\effect.mes

5. dr_deathspike

dr_deathspike New Member

im a newb player and i dont no were to go to make a background and as im a newb i will ask for help :D
    were do i go?

6. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Get the Custom Background Tutorial from Tinkerer at Dimensions of Arcanum.

If it is dead again, then let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

7. Thrond

Thrond New Member

I was able to complete my background using the app from Tinkerer's corner. It was excellent. Still got to tweak the background I'm making though.

Also, I've been meaning to ask, where'd you get Tongs ya Bass from? the film Small Faces, or are you cursed with the same awful afflication as I, Scottishness?

8. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I am partial to the band Small Faces but I've never seen the film of the same name.

9. Thrond

Thrond New Member

To not drag this off topic, yet make a brief explanation:

The film was set in 60's Scotland, involving the conflict between the Glens (protestant/mafioso) youth gang, and of course, the Tongs, Catholic scheme youth gang. And the effects on the community/one particular family.

Anyway, sorry to go off the topic. I'll let it go back to the normal track :p

Our Host!