crippling injuries and healers

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Jarislajfr, Apr 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

the most obvious choice if crippled (or scarred) in combat is to hit F8 and hope that the quicksave isn't that old. but assuming that you horribly neglected the virtue of quicksaving or didn't see the injury for a while (like a half-orc with "ugly stick" background - ain't much there to scar anyway), the manual says that you need a healer with the regular "Heal" skill. if said healer makes a crit success (or is a Master Healer, which automatically grants crit success upon regular success), the crippling injury or the scar will be healed, one per critical success of healing. if your character is skilled at healing, wasting some bandages on yourself should work.
    questions:
    1. using a fate point to force a crit success on healing works. but will a fate point used on "full heal now!" work too?
    2. before you gain access to Quintarra, are there other healers out there who have reasonable crit success chances?
    3. some followers have levels in the "Heal" skill, e.g. Virgil and Jayna. while Virgil has a dialog option to heal the player, it only accesses his white necro spells. Jayna has no dialog option for healing, tho she used bandages after combat if needed.
    can the player command followers to use the "Heal" skill on him or on each other?

2. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Doc Roberts always healed my scars. I assumed any non-party NPC healer automatically did so.

If Virgil has bandages, he'll have a 'Heal' dialog option above his 'Magickal healing' one.

I'm afraid i don't know the answers to your other questions.

Regards,
    Sky

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I think Skyfish's solutions are best. That's not worth wasting a fate point on. Jayna is an auto healer. DBT could tell you more about her than I could, though. I vested little energy into her, where as he knows that game better than I know the palm of my hand.

4. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

thanx everyone. well, I've used the fate point on crit success on healing already, so Doc Roberts will wait until next crippling injury.
    weird thing with Virgil - he had no "heal" option in my game. could be low level, something with A:WIP 6.0 installed or with the modded followers' skill trees.
    I'm curious about Jayna because she has the "Heal" skill and uses it after combat (with the proper animation and consuming bandages), so I hoped there is a command line.

5. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

I don't use A:WIP and haven't modified the NPCs. Does Virgil have the Heal skill on his character sheet in your game?

Is the 'Follower Skills' option set to yes? It may have been accidentally toggled.

I haven't seen a 'Heal' command, though i haven't looked. It would be useful to have (e.g. 'Virgil Heal Magus'). I'll look when i get back from work.

Regards,
    Sky

6. Jarislajfr

Jarislajfr New Member

Virgil had Heal, tho I settled for a Virgil-free techno-atheist party for this play. maybe I'll make a mage character to test Virgil's abilities later, but that's kinda low priority right now - I want to explore A:WIP a bit :)
    IIRC, the manual (and a thread here) mentioned a synthax "#Follower_Name Command". but that needs some testing too ;) if I get crippled or scarred again, I'll post news on my original questions 1 and 2.

7. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

I believe the command syntax for one follower is 'FollowerName Command' without the hash mar (NB: commands are not case-sensitive). The hash mark is used to command all followers, e.g. '#Attack', which is why the F-key shortcuts all have one.

In the UAP, the F6 shortcut was changed from '#Follow' to '#Move' (kind of a 'get out of my way' button). I don't know if A:WIP has different commands, though.

I've just checked in my game and have found no way to command follower skills with the input box. I would love such a hack, though.

Regards,
    Sky

8. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that you can remove scars/crippled limbs with the greater heal spell.

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

That sounds like Greater Harm? It would be cool to've a peg leg though.
    [/offtopic]

Anyway, does anyone know for sure if this is possible/test it?

10. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

It should work -- now i distinctly remember years ago, before noticing Doc Roberts, trying desperately to level so Virgil could heal the mauled face of my first character to finish the game.

Thanks for the heads-up reminder, Philes! I'd totally forgotten about Greater Healing.

Our Host!