Crazy 'Bout That Desktop!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canis, Apr 18, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

[WARNING! This is a self-indulgent post about my computer desktop, and as such may be extemely boring to many people. Sorta like when somebody wants to show you slides of their trip to Disneyland....]

Behold my current desktop:

http://www.dazzled.com/canis/pgdesk.html

(Yes, I'm looking into getting a new free webhost, don't need any lectures....)

I have achieved Desktop Nirvana.

Behold the beautiful Peter Gabriel wallpaper, created from an image that was originally 240x240! Isn't he just adorable when he's not going crazy, shaving his head, growing a goatee, painting his face, or donning disturbing masks!

Behold the color-coordinated taskbar (courtesy of Style XP), icons, and cursors!

Behold the Recycle Bin, renamed for an appropriate Peter Gabriel song! (Had to edit the registry for that one.... Coulda sworn it was easier in 98.)

Behold the icon text color! IT'S NOT WHITE, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (Pain in the behind, that one was.)

I wuv my new desktop. :bunny:

(This may well be the most inane post I've ever made here.)

On some other boards "post your desktop" threads have been rather popular, but I won't presume to start one here. Just wanted to rant about my own. :D

2. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

XP Style, hum. How does that work for you? I looked for a XP editing program once before, but the only one I found with promise was a pay one. If XP Style is the one I am thinking of, did you pay for your copy, or uh... Get it through "different" means :wink:

Anyway, seems like a nice theme, my eyes would just hurt a little bit looking at the brightness of the picture

Here is a picture of my current wallpaper, I don't feel like screen shotting my current desktop just so you guys can see a few icons or what's in my taskbar.

http://ruskiekeroppi.tripod.com/hellsing3_1024.jpg

3. xento

xento New Member

Wow. A real gamer. Let's see.... The Sims, SimCity 4, Unreal Tournament (I believe), Balder's Gate 2, Morrowind, Arcanum, Divine Divinity (there was a post about this, way back when), Civilization 3, whatever that DK II is, and a few mind games.

The desktop is okay, but the pixels are a little over-sized.

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Well if I did have a "different means" of obtaining any program I certainly wouldn't blab about it in public now would I! Anyway, it's a great program but honestly WinXP shoulda come with built-in theme support, gratis.

I understand completely. My last theme, which I kept for the longest time, was grey/silver and went with the Arcanum mech horse wallpaper. I needed a drastic change from the drabness, hence the lively colors of my new theme. Here's a shot of the old one:

http://www.dazzled.com/canis/desktop.html

You'll notice that in every screenshot I ever make I'm listening to Peter Gabriel on Winamp. I'm a bit obsessed, you see.... But in an entirely healthy, non-stalker sort of way, I assure you. :D

What pixels? On the wallpaper? It was originally a very small photo, and it took me forever to find the right filter to use to make it look okay at a higher resolution. I think it turned out alright. If you're talking about the icons, they're at 32x32 on a 1024x768 resolution screen, and I'm afraid if I made them any smaller I'd go blind from the eye strain.

What? No comment on the magnificent feat of changing the text color for the icon labels, or of renaming the Recycle Bin? Did I tell you I had to edit the registry for that one? I want a prize, dammit! :lol:

5. Draconix

Draconix New Member

Spiffy looking desktop! btw Xento that dk2 is dungeon keep 2....cool game but can be annoying at times.

6. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

it may just be me, but none of those links worked.

7. Canis

Canis New Member

I've heard nasty rumors about certain free webhosts blocking IPs from certain parts of the world, and if that's the reason you can't get the links to work I apologize. Been looking for a better free webhost for a while.... My ISP primarily serves businesses and doesn't give users any webspace. :(

8. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

"The Drop" I didn't notice that before. Though I can say I've never heard any of Mr. Gabriel's work.

Anyway did you use a Photoshop Filter on the picture of Peter? Or is that just how the picture was?

And yeah, XP should have seriously come with a built in editor. It's just plain annoying looking at the same three types the entire time.

9. Canis

Canis New Member

"The Drop" is a song off his latest album, which is a bit on the dark side and so hasn't been selling as well as some of his other MTV-hit-era albums. :(

I used a filter on the pic, but I don't remember if it was a Photoshop filter or not. I mean, I was using Photoshop, so technically it was a Photoshop filter, but I mean it might have been a third-party filter for Photoshop and not one that came with the program originally. I've lost track of what all I've installed.

Our Host!