Court says Whales, Dolphins Cannot Sue Bush

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Womble, Oct 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Womble

Womble New Member

Court Says Whales, Dolphins Cannot Sue Bush

Wed 20 October, 2004 20:24

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The world's whales, porpoises and dolphins have no standing to sue President Bush over the U.S. Navy's use of sonar equipment that harms marine mammals, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, widely considered one of the most liberal and activist in the country, said it saw no reason why animals should not be allowed to sue but said they had not yet been granted that right.

"If Congress and the President intended to take the extraordinary step of authorizing animals as well as people and legal entities to sue they could and should have said so plainly," Judge William A. Fletcher wrote in an 18-page opinion for the panel.

The lawsuit was brought against Bush and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on behalf The Cetacean Community -- defined as the world's whales, porpoises and dolphins -- by their self-appointed lawyer, marine mammal activist Lanny Sinkin.

Sinkin claimed in the lawsuit that the U.S. Navy had violated the Endangered Species Act with its use of long range, low frequency sonar that can cause tissue damage and other injuries to marine mammals.

Sinkin could not be reached for comment on the 9th Circuit's decision, which upheld a lower court ruling.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticl...65&section=news

First they ignore fish, next it'll be the constitution... ;)

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Well, its seriously fucked up stuff, its worse than whaling.

3. Phadech

Phadech New Member

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'd like to know who gets the money.

5. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I bet the squirrels fighting to deactivate power lines to preserve their lives lose too. :D

6. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

That's pretty... um... interesting. However, the Navy's sonar is a big problem, because it really does injure the marine mammals.

7. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Yeah.

In all seriousness I am very saddened by the way in which we abuse other animals what with pollution, destruction of enviroment, and so on while we spend millions of dollars on cosmetics and big-screen TV's. I like using my computer but I wish I didn't have to feel guilt that it's production was responsible for the death of a member of an endagered species.

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Well if they could make Cathode Rays with anything other than bengal tigers...

Anyone ever read a book called "the Monkey Wrench Gang?"

9. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

You feel sad every time you put your teeths into a hamburger? Damn that got to suck.

10. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I read than science fiction novel where we killed off the whale and the Dolp where declare by the world court to have the same right as human being so they sue the main whaleing nations and the world for hunting whales thought history, expect for the natice of Alaska who only killed one or two whales ayear to help then surive. The World Court was at this time all powerful and they ruleing are blinding. The Dolp won but they didnot ask for money but said they will ask for paying in the future in a other form. Two hundred year later man found aother planet where Whales exist, when the Dolp hear about this they said it these whales want to travel to Earth to live permant the human must built huge tranport ship to tranport then to earth, at that time the human clean up the ocean of polution, and enter into partship with the Dolp in undersea fish farming where the Dolp half of the profit was depot in a specical banking account to help pay for the future settlement of the suit. When some of the whales agree to come Earth 1000 huges ship where built careful to safegruad the whales around Earth.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

No doubt it was written by an elitist, soft-hearted environmentalist, commie bastard who hated the rest of humanity for not being as sensitive as themselves.

12. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

It was written by than sciencist. Whales and por and dolp are just as intellent as us by some tests sciencist have done.

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Oh, I know they're intelligent, don't get me wrong. They also have that funky sonar that lets them swim through the Amazon a-okay. But I still think the book was written by an elitist, soft-hearted, environmentalist commie bastard who hated the rest of humanity for not being as sensitive as themselves.

On that note, I saw previews for the Motorcycle Diaries when I saw Steam Boy. Anyone seen the Motorcycle Diaries, and if they have, is it as communist as I think it is?

14. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I could be wrong, but somehow I feel like the cetaceans' inabilty to speak English might get in the way of a proper trial.

15. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

They have than box which tranlate they underwater noise into england.

16. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

17. chuft

chuft New Member

The lawyer representing the whales is really named Sinkin? That's too funny.

Sinkin and Floatin, Attorneys at Law

18. mathboy

mathboy New Member

He means:
    They have than box which tranSPORT they underwater noise into england.

You must have learnt reading Charles' posts by now.

19. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I don't think he meant that. He meant that the box translates the noises into engLISH.

20. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I'd like to hear more about this box, O charly of many wonders.

Our Host!