Couple of tips please.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by MeTHoD-X, Feb 3, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. MeTHoD-X

MeTHoD-X New Member

I'm at The Black Mountain Clan and I just can't seem to get past the rock ogres. I'm at Level 16, I’m an expert in firearms with 3 points toward it and I have a few in Melee (as backup). The settings are even on easy, yet I still can't seem to get past these guys. What am I doing wrong?

Also, what should I equip Virgil with, in terms of weapons, magic and armor (at this stage in the game)? He seems to be pretty weak and only swipes at enemies once. Good healer though.

Thanks in advance.

2. MeTHoD-X

MeTHoD-X New Member

One more thing: How do I use schematics? I put it in my inventory then right click on it (it disappears), then what? How do I actually put it to use and know what items I have to find for it.

3. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

First Question: YOu have a few options here:

- if learned mechanics and know how to make the Spike Trap...you can always lace the corridors with traps then try to lure him towrds them. to wear him down. Takes long and you'd have to use real time mode for it to be effective. Also, if yer gonna do this, DON'T make the mistake of making the traps outside then bringing them in....stock up on all the components then make them down there as you go a long.

- Now since you probably don't know the trap making from what I can see....provided you have enough bullets go into real time mode and try to shoot them out one at a time...let him get reasonably close then zip past him and keep shooting.

- As far as virgil goes...make sure you confiscate and decent weapons (as in magical) that you wish to keep and hiive him things like old swords, hammers, daggers etc. iThat way when he chips away at the things you'll be losing out on juck weapons only.

Second Question:

When you open up the schematics screen you should see two buttons on the left...one lets you access the GAme Schematics (basic) and the other lets you access the LEARNED schematics (thats the one you want to be looking in)

4. toller

toller New Member

I usually explore the Tarant Sewers before going to the Black Mountian Clan. You get some good items there that may help. Of course you did the Ancient Maze too? It has at least one good helmet.

5. MeTHoD-X

MeTHoD-X New Member

:thumbdown:

Alright, I have yet another problem. My guy wont heal anymore. I traveled from The Black Mountain Clan back to Tarrent and my HP stayed at 25/90. When Virgil tries to heal me, nothing usually happens, although sometimes it works. Magnus' health wont go up either. Is this one of those infamous Arcanum bugs I’ve been hearing about?

PS. I'm running the patched version.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If Virgil heals you with magic and your technological aptitude is too high (same with Magnus') it normally won't work.

7. Womble

Womble New Member

Nothing really. The BMC dungeon has some tough opponents. I assume you've stumbled upon either an Ore Golem or a Seething Mass.
    The solution is simple. Put one point into Explosives to learn Molotov Cocktail. This is a true wonder weapon- costs no action points to use, deals excellent damage and has a lovely knockback (and when the enemy is thrown back against a wall, it loses even more hit points). Stun grenades are also good, they keep your enemy dysfunctional for two rounds of turn based combat while you can shoot them as you please. Also, you may need a better weapon. If you are using firearms, get a hand cannon from Sammy White, its just about the best you can get in a patched game at that stage.

Virgil is very weak and can only use a few swords effectively. I suggest a Filament Sword. A Sword of Air is also good, and so is the good old katana. I think he can even wield an Arcane sword as well, but he only gets about a half of its magic bonuses.

8. jdbjeweler

jdbjeweler New Member

this could be the problem

make sure that you and your followers arent wearing anything with resist magic attributes. could just be that the heal spell is blocked by a magical item or armor

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

That's not the god damn problem, he's a firearms expert. You're a techie dude, magic has a fail percentage versus tech. Magnus is tech too, hence virgil's magic failing versus him. Read the manual dude.

10. jdbjeweler

jdbjeweler New Member

this is for blinkys reply

you must not read too well. you just repeated what I had said.

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

No, you didn't dumbass. You said he must either wearing magic resistant items or that the heal spell is blocked by magic armor. It's his tech aptitude, not any type of equipped resistance. Oh, and don't try to get smart, you might have played through the game once or twice, but you're far from being some guru.

12. Canis

Canis New Member

Just give him some goddamn bandages and shut up about it.

*twitch*

13. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

You don't have to switch to real time to fight anything, just switch it to fight mode and tell any followers to Back Off and Stay Close. As long as you keep ahead of the creep it'll be like you're attaking it in real time mode. If it catches up with you. then it'll go into turn based mode.

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I usually unequip my followers' weapons while I myself run from the Seething Masses/Ore Golems/Rock Sprites and let my followers do the job. The monster will attempt to catch me, ignoring the fact that it is being trashed to death by my companions. PWNED!

15. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I really hate that all these threads are being dug up.

16. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I really hate when you post useless crapola just for the sake of increasing your post count!

17. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Meh, I don't care about my post count anymore, I found out I'mn't a geek, but I really do hate these gravediggings.... Seriously...

18. Canis

Canis New Member

Oh good, someone else noticed that. I thought I was being an uptight prick again.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

yea, this kid knows what he's talking about, kinda, but he needs to post in live threads.

Our Host!