complete the game without killing?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by silver, Feb 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. silver

silver New Member

i doubt its posible but lets think about it..

if i were to go a lady, putting all XP into beauty, charisma, persuasion, intelligence, no followers as well..

is there any way of avoiding the BMC mines? is is possible to get the information without going into the mines?

it would be interesting.. if at all possible.. perhaps we could allow her to have the dog as protection.

ofcourse, u would have to kill kerghan, and for that maybe perhaps she could get some followers from the void.. so arronax would be out of the question (have to kill the guard), as well as gorgoth (need to kill void lizard to get food for him).. but kraka-tur, the bane of kree should be fine

any thoughts? i know its abit far fetched, but its worth discussion ;-)

2. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

You have to kill the guards of Kerghan's Castle to get in, so no, it's not possible :-(

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

No you don't. You can mind control one and have it kill the other. Then, have it follow you to Gorgoth, and make it attack him. That way, you haven't killed anyone.
    As for the snake guard outside the door leading to Arronax, pickpocket the guards for an amulet that lets you control the snake man. It will kill the guards and the door will open.
    And, you don't have to kill Kerghan. You can actually convince him that he's wrong.
    Oh, as for BMC mines...yeah you can skip them. Just find some way to get to Nasrudin and have the dog kill him, and his death instantly sends you to the void.
    If that seems too crazy, when you get to the mines, run as fast as you can.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'd suggest Master Prowling and possibly Master Phantasm for invisibility. Tricked out Conveyance for teleport would also be nice. I'd also max CH, BE and persuasio, and wear a smoking or nice dress.

5. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

But I don't think there will be enough non-combat quests that would allow you to level all the way up like that...

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    Damn, I didn't think about that. Stuff like Invisibility and Prowling would be useful though, especially in places like the BMC mines. Maybe Spatial Distortion and a lot of mana potions. Or you let Dog run around on the Ashbury graveyard for a few hours.

Killing people with the Baneful Gauntlets and conjuring their spirits to drive the plot forward counts as cheating, yes?

7. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

Cheating? What is this word you speak of?

Mmm.... maybe if you technically didn't kill people because your followers did that for you... that'd work. Somewhat.

There's a background that maxes on beauty and charisma, isn't there? "Supermodel"? But would that help in any way? And, along the same lines, would a particular race help?

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    The only race I could think of are gnomes, who get a bad reaction bonus. But there aren't any gnome females, and the Debutanté background only applies to the ladies. I'd say Half-Elf for the Beauty bonus, good overall stats and the fact they're more well-liked than the haughty elves.

9. Grossenschwamm

And if you could play a halfling, you're even better off.

10. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

My understanding was that followers (even mind controlled) add to your kills number.

11. silver

silver New Member

yeh exacly jfkoski.. i was originally thinking not even the dog.. just solo, on ur own, completing the game without killing or attacking anything, as a lady.

i forgot that u can convince kerghan out of it.. so if u can get to the void without killing a single creature or person, u could go talk to arronax, say that u are going to team up with kerghan, then go see kerghan and then convice him out of it! does that work?

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    Looks good on paper. Only way to know for sure is to try though. Good luck!

13. silver

silver New Member

i just gave it a few quick goes..
    started as female elf, debutant background (+3 beauty +3 charisma, - strength and dexterity)
    i ditched virgil straight away, but that means i cant talk my way through the molechean hand bloke... when i try and run past and through the millions of wolves, i loose fatigue and eventual ground and die. i tried putting everything into persuasion and charisma and still cant talk my way past him.. i guess i would have to use virgil to talk my way through?? anyone else recon they can get to shrouded hills without attacking and without virgil?

14. Grossenschwamm

Just keep Virgil long enough to talk you way out of the Molochean Hand encounter. Then drop him.

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Or, if you're truly adamant about not having any followers, get a nifty spell like Stun or Plague of Insects. You're not killing anyone, just making it damn difficult for them to hunt you.

16. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

When I want to get to shrouded hills quickly without killing anyone, I just go to the minimap when Virg is done talking and make a bee-line waypoint to the shrine. Let virgil talk the way thru then ditch him and go to shrouded hills
    btw you can do arbalahs quest without killing anyone (for xp)

17. silver

silver New Member

yeh i suppose i could do that dark elf.. letting virgil do the talking is out of the question, cause i wanted to be solo from start to finish..

18. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

It still comes down to getting into the end-boss's castle. To do that you need to kill the left guard (but not by disintegration?). As was said, the lizard creature can be your slave, but as it stands it will not talk past the guard for you. I think that would be a good script/dialog change.

Warrior: "Get away from here. I'll not warn you again."
    Slitherer: "The Master ordered me to bring him. Open the gate."
    Warrior: "Very well..."

I've mentioned this elsewhere but someone found it hilarious to want to play the game without killing.

19. silver

silver New Member

i more curious as to wether its posible.. can u not get into kerghan castle easily without killing.. dont choose to free arronax and walk straight in.. i am playing unmodded arcanum btw.

dark elf, i tried the insects, didnt work.. was still to fast..

20. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

You're going to have to hope the chest at the crash site contains a speed potion. Or you could invest in your dexterity, but hold no weapon.

Our Host!