College Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mesteut, Jul 21, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Next year is kind of big for me because I will be sending in my college applications! Still, I'm in need of advice, and I decided to ask here because, umm, I don't have any other place to ask as of the moment. I want to have the best (=most amount of party+fun+sex) college experience possible while still getting the best possible physics education. So which colleges do you think I should apply? Stanford would be an enormously long shot, but I'm hoping for UCLA at the moment, or UCSB.

Some info on me:

- GPA's are 83.81 (9th), 83,44 (10th) and 85.77 (11th). (In Turkey, any grade above 70 is nice, with 85+ being excellent)
    - I took introductory, advanced and modern physics. I have basic knowledge on nuclear physics and quantum theories.
    - In my yearly homework projects, I worked on railguns, gauss guns and analyzed a military project in depth. Got straight 100 from 2nd and 3rd, 94 on 1st.
    - My math grades are respectively 88, 94, 89 (Last one from Calculus AB, and misses 90 by 1 point in finals)
    - SAT Reasoning: 2120. SAT Subject Tests, Math2: 800 and Physics: 800. All first tries. (I'll also take Math1 because some colleges want 3 subject tests)
    - AP Scores: Physics C: E&M, Physics C: Mechanics and Calculus AB all came in 5.
    - I was a mid level fencer, and I was a decent central-defender/stopper in real football/soccer. My only lacking was in muscle power, but I think I fixed that by gaining like 3kg in muscle this summer (and I'm still working out). Think in the U.S., I'd be something like a defensive star because they suck at football so hard.

Any thoughts on where I should apply?

2. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I would advice you to ask, you know, a school advisor who actually cares a shit about this.

3. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

4. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

Wobbler said it best. Really just go to the school that makes you the happiest or helps you prepare for what you want to do in life.

By the way; Yuki has homophobia so she doesn't liked to be touched.

5. Minuos

Minuos New Member

There are many better people to ask than the people here. You've seen the threads derail, right?

Oh, and Yuki denies certain congenial practices.

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I am only familiar with the American college experience, so I'm afraid I cannot help you.

Also, I should start pretending to have a vagina so I could be more famous on internet forums.

7. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

rosenshyne, it seems as if you've been brutal lately!
    Things alright at home? I'll bet your husband is probably a wretch.

9. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Actually what I need is info on American college life. Some advice on where I could be accepted into would be nice ofc, but basically, I need to also learn "how" things run there.

And yes, I realised there are like an infinity better places to ask this around, but I reckoned there should be at least one colleger here.

10. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Well given the 0 days I've spent in America during my life I'm sure I'll be a great help. I have seen Revenge of the Nerds though so I can perhaps draw on that.

11. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I'm a colleger, as you put it. But I'm a UK colleger, and to put that into perspective for comparison, there was a girl in my literature class who didn't know that cows made milk at the age of seventeen. Besides, I dislike practically everyone. Misanthropes don't give good advice unless it involves blunt honesty, revenge or genocide. Or all three, in that order.

12. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Wrong place to ask. :p
    I would advise against UCSB: I have a friend who switched from there back to UW after two years because she said that all they did was drink and party, and that the classes were a joke. Maybe that's what you're after, though.

13. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

14. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

You need to learn to swear, or not swear at all. :)

15. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

You need some serious lesson in swearing.

Mesteut: I only know the American college from movies, and series so I don't know how it is like.

16. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

'

You could just ask him you know. I mean, he is present in basically every active thread on the forum.

And guys, remember that Yuki is 16, which is basically 12. I don't think she is allowed to swear.

17. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I was swearing better than her when I was 12.
    And I was raised Nazarene.

('course that changed to Assemblies of God when I was 15)

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I didn't swear much till I was seventeen, but in my defence I was brought up Salvation Army AND Anglican (joy of mother-fucking joys, although at least the Salvos have good music at their services), not to mention being terribly sheltered and shy.

It may interest you to know that my first public obscenity was very rapidly followed by my first marriage proposal. T'was a very surreal day.

Also, original poster - why the FUCK are you asking about American colleges in a forum that has a merciful dearth of Americans?

19. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I didn't know there weren't many Americans here :S Usually on the internet, about %70 percent of all people are American.

Although this place is weird even for the Internet.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

70% of all people on the internet are American? I... just... I don't even know where to start with how wrong that comment is. Graaaaaaaaaah! Too... many... insults... not... enough... time... *twitch*

Our Host!