Choose your apocalypse!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, May 12, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What kind of end of the world would you like to see?

1. Nuclear Armageddon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ice Age

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Flood / Sea levels rise (Waterworld)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Meteor / Asteroid / Comet / Large lump of space rock pounding into the planet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Alien Invasion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Virus / Biological agent / disease

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Slaughter

Slaughter New Member

Metric System = 99% of the world.

A kilometer is much better than a mile]
    A kilogram is much more better than a pound
    Celsius is much better

Imperial is just outdated and needs to be replaced.

2. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

The metric system was invented to make penis measurements sound more impressive. I guess 21.25 centimeters is supposed to sound better than 8 and a half inches, but I disagree. The only thing I use metric for is measuring the bores of firearms and distance to a target in meters.

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Honestly, Celsius and Fahrenheit both suck camels' ass, Kelvin, that's the real deal.

4. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

If anyone claims the celsius system makes any sense, then yes, kelvin makes sense, because by its own logic celsius is illogical.

While a base ten system of measurement is CONVENIENT, that does not make it BETTER. Why must 10 be a magic number? Granted it has been used by convention for quite some time, but it's my opinion that an over-abundance of convenience is merely leaving the door open to slothful stupidity.

Computer science was originated using a binumeral system, only 2 possible numbers, repeatedly strung together algorithmically. Then it transcended to 8, and now hexadecimal is an acceptable mathematical methodology, with each digit having 16 possible values. So, repeat to me WHY is using a system based on 10 so important?

5. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I know that in the Army, the reason we use the metric system for measuring distance on the ground (like I said before) is because it's easier to multiply meters and kilometers than yards and miles. You don't want an infantryman's brain overheating because he has to figure out how many yards are in a mile. That includes me - math has never been my strong suit.

6. Xz

Mostly because it's convenient. Anyway, computers still use the binomial system, but they're divided in groups of 8. 10101100. Only two possible digits, but eight of them.

And the Celsius system is pretty logical, what's illogical about using the most common matter on the planet when making a temperature scale?

Sure Celsius' original idea of having water freeze at 100 degrees, and boil at 0 degrees, was pretty fucked up, but they got him to change it,,,

7. mathboy

mathboy New Member

We use decimal notion when we write numbers. That's why it's better to use a decimal system of measure. For example, on a square kilometre, there are 1 000 000 square metres. That's pretty easy to calculate without paper.

On a square mile, on the other hand, there are 3 097 600 square yards. What is the area in yards of a square with the side 1.4 mile?

And claiming that computers use hexadecimal or whatever doesn't make a difference. Unless you invent 6 more digits for us to use, that is. Multiplying by 10 in whatever system is easy.

Base 2:
    1001 * 10 = 10010 (9 * 2 = 18)
    Base 3:
    211012 * 10 = 2110120 (599 * 3 = 1797)
    Base 987 879 421:
    957 * 10 = 9570 (8 783 151 758 857 054 281 * 987 879 421 = 8 676 694 874 094 838 404 879 851 301)

Changing base for the future could be good, but the fact that we have 10 fingers makes 10 pretty good, 10 is also small enough, so you can remember all the digits, while big enough to be able to not take up too much space.

8. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I'm on the side of "convenient is better." The only reason I want to stick to the Imperial system (except in the cases noted) is because I don't like changing fundamental ways I look at the world (when I look at my cock I see inches, not centimeters) and because I'm relentlessly America-centric. Why should we conform to what those crazy hippie Europeans want? If we change to the metric system, when will it stop? Left-hand driving and the Euro?

9. Xz

Left hand driving? Are you kidding me? There are two(possibly three) islands in Europe that drive on the left-hand-side.
    Those islands being Eire Great Britain and possibly Malta.

10. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Europe? More like the rest of the world

[​IMG]

And we are definitely not hippies.

11. Slaughter

Slaughter New Member

Try to erase the areas that use the Imperial System from the world. Gone. Kaput. Sea in they place. Yeah, it's not even 10% less of the world. Now erase all the places of the world that use the metric system and replace it water. Congratulations. You just erased 80% or more of the world!

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

So surface area and popularity determine effectiveness? If so, why isn't Oprah a system of measurement?

Besides, this was never an argument about what would happen if we miraculously deleted every metric-using nation. This is about the fact that most people don't like to do the extensive amount of mathematics required for the conversion operations needed while using imperial. I can do them. If you can't, buy a calculator.

And in the soldier scenario, give him a walkie-fucking talking and tell him to ask base to do it.

13. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Yes, I am kidding you. Most of that post was nonsense for my personal amusement and possibly others.

See above.

Now that doesn't make sense. Why not just make it easier on him and base?

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

...well, alright, it is true that most people can't multiply as quickly as I can.

15. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that I can't multiply fast. It's funny, because until I was 16 or so (when I started going to college) I was actually pretty good at math. I would frequently do most calculations in my head while doing homework. Then I took about six months off between high school and college to work on our house with my dad, and by the time I took my first college math class (a remedial one by the way), I sucked at math. I took one more the next semester, and haven't taken math of any kind since. So here I am, 22 and most tenth-graders can do math better than I can. However, I'm taking an elementary logic class this (my last) semester, which for some reason counts as a math class, thus fulfilling a requirement. And I'm pretty fucking good at it, with a 100 average so far. Final's on Thursday.

16. mathboy

mathboy New Member

:lol:

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I submit, the metric system is easier. So Imperial would be like the l33t speak of measuring systems?

18. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Damn skippy. It's why the US is so much dorkier than everyone else.

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Your attempted quote stealing of Futurama has been noted.

Also, I choose nuclear fallout because it reminds me of one of my favorite games, Fallout 1/2!

20. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Isn't the Futurama quote:

"I always thought I'd have a hand in it"

I guess I was influenced by it, but any copyright lawyer can see the clear differences between Futurama and my show 'Fewturama'.

Our Host!