Character ideas.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Mercury, Jan 4, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I need help with a character. I cant find one that would keep my interest for long.

Please, post your favourite characters or any other character idea which would seem interesting.

2. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Is it so hard to use your brains?

A dwarf mage with miracle cure background. Teach him Harm and then try to raise your technological aptitude as high as possible.

Guy who throws common items, such dwarven ores and platemails.

3. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Get a half-ogre with feral background. Simplifies game quite a bit.

4. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Try to make the most incompetant character you can and finish the game. I mean like, play a Half-Ogre with max in prowling, healing, and disable trap, but low dex, no herbology, and no find trap.

5. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Be sure to max out beauty and perception.

6. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

And use only a warhammar with maxed out bow skill.

7. ville-v

ville-v New Member

And that Half-Ogre also masters firearms and gunsmithy?

8. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Half-orc with Troll children background: try to make max beauty, charisma and persuasion. I don't wonder, if it would take about 30 levels. Then study both technology and magic to keep your aptitude +-5 from 0.

9. KNJoe

KNJoe New Member

i have always had a problem with competent characters ;)

see, i happen to like leveling... i'm the sort of person who goes from shrouded hills, does the king's quest, then straight to tarant... and by the time i'm in tarant for the first time, i'm level forty.

of course, using a mage, level forty harm can REALLY do some damage...

and any techy with 8 followers is essentially unbeatable. *sigh*

it gets REALLY wierd if you do stuff that way... like, the first time i ever played the game, qintarra was the second city i wound up in.
    of course, that meant that i was in tsen'ang before i had ever even been to tarant. like i said, WIERD.
    maybe you should try that? do it backwards, for all intensive purposes. that way, if you don't always get the right combinations of events and dialogue, it can become nigh on impossible.

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Here's some challenging ideas for you, KNJoe

1)Solo play: let's see you try completing the game on your own, without a single follower (well, I suppose you could have the dog- but that's it).

2)Try playing a pacifist. Do not invest ANYTHING into fighting skills. Don't EVER kill ANYONE yourself. Don't take ANY quests that require violence and never solve violently any quest that can be solved non-violently. Leave killing the random wild beasts to your followers. As the last resort, use non-lethal magic or weapons (Stun grenades, Tranquilizer gun) to aid them. Let's see how fast you will level up in this fashion :lol:

3)Try playing a COMPLETELY honest fellow who never attacks the innocents, never lies, never steals, never breaks promises. That should make your life a little more challenging, especially as far as the money goes.

4)Another thought. At the start of the game, buy a rapier. From that moment on, view it as your ancestral sword that is the only weapon you will use for battles. Now try fighting your way through Arcanum relying on this thin and fragile blade only, and never resort to any other way of inflicting harm, including magic.

11. KNJoe

KNJoe New Member

i have done ALL these things, in fact.

90% of my game variations i have no follower...

mastery in persuasion and maxed beauty/charisma gets REALLY boring, so i don't do that alot, but yes, i've done it before...

i can count all the so-called 'innocents' in the game i have killed on one hand, and i only ever lie in order to avoid the violence, if playing such a character.
    at any rate, there is certainly no shortage of money in the game... no matter HOW you play...

and as it so happens, the rapier is my favorite weapon in the game.

but what's your point? and why are you directing that at ME, and not he who STARTED the thread?

12. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well then, I guess you can explore the wonderful possibilities of the Reflection Shield bug. Ever thought of collecting all the rare creatures of Arcanum Noah Ark style? How about turning Tarant into a city of stone people, or pitting the entire population of Ashbury against the barbarians of Kree?

13. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Omg I want to know how to get Kree barbs to fight Ashburians! Tell me tell me tell me :p

14. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I think you should create a Half Orc who throws explosives, with the background of "Lady's Man"

15. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Well... Myself, I usually play a Half-Orc gunman with tech-skills or a Half-Ogre killing machine with 100% magic but no spells. Use the "Dark Helm", I think it's called that, and you can enjoy the full power of the Bangellian Scourge. It's rather amusing when everyone you meet, everyone, dies from one or at maximum two hits. ^^

16. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Are you familiar with the Reflection Shield trick? It can make spells permanent. Cast the spells you wish to make permanent, then cast Reflection Shield on the same target. Cancel the spell before removing the shield - that spell is now permanent.

Now, the other spell you need is Dominate Will. It places a person you cast it on under your control as an unwilling follower. Using the Reflection Shield trick, you can enslave the entire town one by one in this manner, and lead them after you into Kree. Now provoke the nearest barbarian, stay out of the ensuing fight and enjoy the bloodbath :lol:

Alternatively, you could use Control Beast in the same manner to create an army of itsy bitsy spiders. Arachnophobia guaranteed! :D

17. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Umm sorry, I thought it was you who started it.

18. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

I always forget the reflection shield trick. Ty :D

19. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Solaris, no double-posting.

That trick was cool. I think I'll try it sometime.

20. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Our Host!