Character Creation Tips

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by gridflay, May 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

the point is, if you don't need the stat in Question(aside from perhaps getting an edge in battle)1 point of willpower(translated to 2 points of fatigue for people not conserned about magick)is not that big of a deal to loose, and the extra money can do alot in the early part of the game.

2. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

3. Cornelius

Cornelius New Member

I did seveal things for characters:

1. A human with miltary traing
    2. A day-mage elf
    3. A Half Ogre that ran away with the circus.

I always put in at least one point in melee for each character and bought an axe (up to 1-12 damage). Try to get an axe for you worshipful companion by taking his staff away and giving him an axe. If you just give him an axe, he will use the staff...

A mage's first spell should pobably be either protection from magic or healing. You will nead healing for cure poision and yes you will need that spell.

I found out that I may be able to get away with selling the grenades but the shopkkeper runs out of cash that way.

other random tips as they become avalible... :smile:

Cornelius

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cornelius on 2001-06-01 14:19 ]</font>

4. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

you can stop screaming now cornelius, post deleted :)

5. Lord Jantar

Lord Jantar New Member

Actually bro, I have a lvl 17 mage that has neither protection from magic or cure poison, and he totally kicks the proverbial rear-end. :smile: I would recommend for a mage's first investment the lvl 1 black necro spell "harm". I find I still use it, even at lvl 17. With a decent aptitude (65) I can take out a timber wolf (the lvl 7 one) in 3 hits. :grin:

6. thryllth

thryllth New Member

A Half-Ogre with Ran Away to the Circus can start with 20 ST and kill basically anything he comes across with one hit (give him a dagger the low damage is more than made up and it is 3x as fast as an axe) You can spend all your other starting points on INT and have normal speech options if you want but Virgil's reaction to "urgh, who you?" is kinda funny.

For an Elven Warrior/Mage Raised by Monks is great. The cash is quickly made up and with a bow and Agility of Fire+Strength of Stone you have a nice attack rate and range.

Mages in general need to remember maintaining a spell is costly in terms of fatigue and that not only will your opponents attacks harm you but will also drain fatigue. I have found that giving a mage a 10 CN to start with is a good tactic as you do not need WP over 9 for any of the starting spells and with CN that high you have a few extra HP and your FAT heal rate is high enough to let you cast an extra spell or two in combat.

7. Delita

Delita New Member

Dont get mad, as im prolly stupider then most, but...

Sounds like u guys are thinking short term. Inheritence, is well, no matter what, a bad choice. Any Backround that gives u .5 in a skil might help for a while, but who wants to have 4.5 in a skill? You should strugle in the beginning. The BEST characters are made this way. Dont u think? Anybody found any good backrounds for an elf that makes him a better mage, but doesnt make him evil, or seriously lacking in other areas?

Sorry for RE-AWEKENING this topic... Just be anxious, so ive read everything i can.... Im running out of stuff to read besides spoilers!

8. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

...the point is that the 0.5 gives your character an extra edge in a sense.

i take it that if you take a character with the same stats and skills into a fight against each other, with one differance, one of them have 5.5 instead of 5, the one with 5.5 should win in more ofthen then not.

and if you have -0.5 as a base, you can't get to be a master, but will get stucked at an expert level.

and remember that a good start is often the key of a successfull character, it helps anyway.

the one with the extra cash might be able to start out stronger, and thus in the end come through as a stronger character, well in theory.

9. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Monkey are you sure about that? I mean
    I think I've read somewhere that for apprentice level you need .5, then for the expert 2.5 and for the master 4.5. But I'm not that sure any more.

10. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Damn double posts

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sethmage on 2001-08-13 12:07 ]</font>

11. Diemon

Diemon New Member

I think its like Seth said. Cuz if u start as half-orc u get a small bonus in meele right? Yeah, and when i did that i could train to be apprentice without putting any more points into melee. So its 0.5 for apprentice. Dunno bout the rest.

12. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

is that so? darn.

well then it saves you a CP then, if you don't want to be above 5, actually it saves you more, as you don't need to invest so heavily in the stat for the skill.

13. Pasca

Pasca New Member

My Elven Supermodel with her army of followers have so far managed quite well :)

14. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I think we got the same character, Cyann.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: friend_al_23 on 2001-08-29 17:43 ]</font>

15. Corrado

Corrado New Member

My favorite technologist/shooter background?

The Sickly Half-Ogre

A hit to strength, constitution, and dex in exchange for a massive boost to intelligence. Stronger and smarter than the average starting character, though a little more clumsy, a with a small Constitution. Still, you can whomp on monsters pretty easily and have the wherewithall to build a repeater rifle (which a Half-Ogre can use).

16. dralasite

dralasite New Member

Frankly, to begin with any kind of character, one point (then a second point later) in lock-picking is a really good investment: not only can you open all those damn locked doors and chests in "dungeons", but you can also give yourself all the equipment and monney you need!
    in the first village, with just 2 points and apprenticeship in lock-picking (being a dwarf helps a lot!), you can loot the chests of the 3 main shops at night and get most of the equipment you need and sometimes even a lot of money (600-2000!)
    in the other towns, it seems that you would need prowling as well but not here!
    with a second level character you can give all the weapons/armor you need! And if you wait a couple of days, the shop's inventory are refreshed and "lootable" again!
    And if you get yourself short again, just go back to Shrouded Hills and loot the counter again! (apparently, you get no bad reputation or any alignement loss for that also...)

Our Host!