Charachter pronunciation

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Spoffler, Jul 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Spoffler

Spoffler New Member

Okay, how do you think people's names are pronoucned? i've always wondered, is it

rist-ez or rest easy?

what other names do you guys find confusing?

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I've always thought it was "Ris-tezz-er-ray," or something to that effect. Even if it's not, I call him that in my inner monologue because it sounds cool.

Also, since I'm still in Shrouded Hills kickin' it with him, I should just ask him or something.

3. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I've always pronounced it /RistEz:i/

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I always called him just like you Spoffler, I'm not sure how to write it bo it goes like that which you wrote, rist-ez.
    I believe that some (most?) typically elvish names my be unsure in pronounsation, especially when thinking about what accent to use (I had dylema between reading those with english and french accent), but I myself actually always gave up before trying, considering it being unknown.

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

nah, more like /RIstE:z/ or /RIstEz:/ then.

(fuck languages where pronounciation is not even related to writing. also, fuck those two indians.)

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I always called him Ris-tezz. It seems like most of you put the most stress on the first syllable.
    Honestly, though, I just figured his name only deserved two syllables in the first place. The way it's spelled, he may very well have three.
    Ris-tezz-eh. That's just what I think, though. One of my friends insisted upon calling him "Ritzy", despite having read all the letters of his name and then wrote it out on paper.

None of the other names seem very esoteric in their pronunciation, either because they're spoken by the various voice actors in the game, or they're common.

Heironimus Maxim might be the only other confusing name for a character, but I think I have a close pronunciation;
    Air-onny-mus.

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i never noticed the third syllable, either. but his was one of the names i just sort of skipped over. since i never have to say it out loud, every time it appears there's just sort of a mental pause and i go on to the next word.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The name always looked Italian to me, so I pronounced it Ris-tezz-ie

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Wasn't his name Hieronimus? At least thet's how's he called ni polish version, but when I checked via Wikipiedia the english version of the name called in Poland "Hieronim", it was called "Hieronymus" and I believe that's that what the authors had on mind..
    I read it polish, with the "H" being hearable. In english, I believe, it would be read something like year-on-e-mus (like "must" without "t").

11. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

12. Langolier

Langolier Member

I've always thought it might sound like "Rist-Ez-Eh". I was thinking about this the last time I played.

13. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

I find pronoucned pretty hard to pronounce.

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I always thought of him as Rist-ez-ie.

Why is it pronunciation when the verb is to pronounce?

15. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

Because the English language is retarded. What's the point of silent letters? The word knock could have have 100 silent k's in the front and it would still sound the same. Is Swedish the same with stupid grammer rules?

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I don't know about swedish, but I can tell you, that in polish there practically doesn't exist something like "silent letters", every single letter in a word is to be read.
    English isn't that bad with it. For me, mostly anoying is french, where it's almost a rule, that the last syllabe is not to be read.

17. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

unless that last syllable ends with one of four letters, which i can't remember because high school french was a joke. one of them was "c", i think.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The problem with Swedish is that some things just don't seem to follow any rules, but must be learnt by heart, especially articles.

A cup = En kopp.

The cup = Koppen.

A table = Ett bord.

The table = Bordet.

In English, the indefinite article is either "a" or "an" depending on if the noun begins with a syllable sound or not. In Swedish however, what should be "en" and what should be "ett" is completely arbitrary. No wonder a lot of foreigners have difficulties learning it.

Our Host!