Cataclysm (Not World of Warcraft)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yuki, Nov 7, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Cataclysm is a roguelike (I'm sure most of you are familiar with those), one of the best ones I've ever played.

The premise is that all the shit has hit all the fans. The survivalist's wet dream. Zombies pouring out of the city, genetic experiments creeping around the park, a radio active comet crashed five blocks to the west, there's lava on the road, a giant beehive down south and you're in the middle of all this shit.
    You customize your character with attributes, traits and skills. A world is randomly generated along with your first character and from then on the world is persistent amongst all your characters. It shares this trait with a lot of roguelikes, but unlike most roguelikes you don't only find your corpse, you also find the effects of everything your character has done in that world, which means if you can find your way back to your old character's area, you can essentially save items and homebase between characters. For instance, I found a science team dead in the middle of the road with one character and swiped all their IDs. Then I hid those ID cards in a stash, and when I died, I picked up the IDs as another character.

It plays like a mix of NetHack and Dwarf Fortress' adventurer mode, with new updates being released once or twice a week.

It is being developed for Linux officially, but one of the developers of Dwarf Fortress has made a port for the PC.
    The same guy has also set up a wiki for the game here.

If you're down with the Windows, you'll wanna go here, but if you're hardcore and all Linux and shit you'll wanna go here.

2. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Yeah, I've been following the Cataclysm thread at Bay12 somewhat. Interesting, but all the zombie insects turn me off a bit.

The DF developers have nothing to do with this, by the way. The port is made by Head (unless it's changed hands), who is a member of the community there.

3. Charonte

Charonte Member

Distinction: When you said ported to PC, you meant ported to Windows. Linux runs on PC's too (as well as toaster ovens).

Still, looks interesting. May have to check it out sometime this week, looking for some time to kill before Skyrim gets released. Was "going" to be enjoying The Last Days 3.0 for Mount&Blade, but that turned out to be a complete failure in terms of crashes and whatnot. Maybe in another 5 years they'll have it sorted.

One of my most favourte games ever is IVAN {though you would be better off picking up one of the many variants these days}. It's 'sort of' a Roguelike with basic 2D graphics, filled with a lot of humour about videogames and the fantasy genre in general.

The only guarantee in IVAN is that you're going to die; I've had some playthroughs where I've been incredibly lucky on the first level, picked up some uber gear, had my arms change into diamond via a scroll and just cained the shit out of everything. In others I've pissed off a God by praying to them too much, had all my limbs turned into beef or polymorphed into a jackrabbit. Everything in the game is randomly generated so you never know what is going to happen at any point; sometimes you'll even run into the ghosts (and equipment) of your previous characters.

Just try it, seriously. I'm not really doing the game justice.

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Now I know how my father felt when Alternative became a genre of music. "Alternative to what?" he would ask. Likewise, "roguelike" is an adjective and should never be preceded by the article "a."
    Except now "roguelike" is also a genre. How the times are changing!

This game sounds cool. It sounds quite similar to ProjectZomboid. I'm curious to see what Cataclysm looks like.

5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I think you mean the times are "a" changing.

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

You may think you're old for thinking that TDC, but I'm so out of touch I didn't even know that this "roguelike" adjective was actually a noun.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some damn kids I need to go yell at that are currently located on my lawn.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Given how old the roguelike genre really is, I take it that your prime was during the Prohibition era?

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Granted it may be old but how obscure! I consider myself pretty video game-aware and my introduction to roguelike wasn't until Dwarf Fortress, and even then I hadn't realized Dwarf Fortress even belonged to a genre.

9. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Ah. I still can remember the original game “Rogue’’. Yeah. That game was very difficult, because without the save and restore option you had to start over and over again. Good thing that I really love challenges like that.

There was almost no graphics. You can compare the ‘’graphics’’ with the awesome game Wizardry I, but without the save and restore option. (Wizardry II-IV were practically add-ons to Wizardry I, sold as scenarios)

If I had to choose out Rogue or Wizardry, then I will gladly choose Wizardry. Why? It has a better plot and story.

10. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Now you're on the trolley! I think these roguelikes are the bee's knees. Now if you're excuse me, I'm off to the speakeasy as I need to see a man about a dog.

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly were Castle of The Winds and Moria of the same genre as well. The first game came in 1992 and Moria...well, I cannot remember that at this moment.

Fun, but time consuming games.

Given to my age (while not older than rroyo) I am probably off to see the first plane.

Has anyone played the original Rogue? And finished it?

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Philes has just satisfied my daily suggested intake of archaisms. Oh, that's the stuff.

Our Host!